• Tweets

• Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
    • In anticipation of lodging my court claim next Weds 1 May (14 days after advising P2G that was my deadline for them to settle my claim) I have completed my first draft POC as below: Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant has failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing a 8 secondhand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80 I look forward to your thoughts and comments guys! As ever, many thanks - G59    
    • Hmm, that's strange how they got my email then.  I assume the below is ok to send to DCBL, Nicky?  Hello, I am writing regarding our ongoing dispute and the upcoming court claim reference xxxxxxxx. To ensure fairness and transparency in our communications leading up to the court hearing, I request that you use postal mail exclusively for all further correspondence related to this claim. Please refrain from sending any communication or documents via email. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact me via postal mail at the address provided above. Yours sincerely, xxxx
    • In the SAR, I received the original application, lots of computer print outs, yearly statements from 2013 and the new emails regarding my complaint. They sent me a £50 cheque after I chased them for the SAR after the 30 days. They said they was waiting for me to respond to an email (which I never received) before sending the SAR
    • classic P2G. I'm sure dianne and Lesley will pop an email to you at some point.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Madlainey v HSBC

madlainey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5204 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am new to this forum, this site was recommended to me by a legal officer in my workplace so I decided to ask for help.

I have been going overdraft quite often and for the past few years have been paying between 120-175 pounds a month for overdraft+arrangement fees.

I am not English and never complained about bank charges, therefore I have always been an easy target for HSBC.

I always thought that charges are something you can't dispute as there must be some financial authority controlling the whole overdraft charges procedure.

Today, I found out that ridiculous bank charges can be claimed.

Up until now I must have paid approx 3.000 pounds of overdraft fees etc.

Have I got any chance to claim the money back and if so, could anybody be so kind to help me at all?

I have no family here other than my husband who does not speak English well, so there is no one I can turn to for support or guidance.

Any help will be so much appreciated.

SOS.

Thank you for your time reading this.

Madlain

Hiya and welcome to the HSBC forum :).

I think you might be surprised just how much money HSBC have taken from you in the last 6 years :-| heres the step by step guide to tell you how to start recovering it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

This wont be a quick process at the moment because of the High Court test case but you should start your claim anyway and ignore what the bank tell you.

pete

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I have posted a message in the past with regards to HSBC overdraft charges.

I have spend some time looking inot all my past bank statements and calculated that the total HSBC charged me within past 6 years is £4.490,53. (debit interest and the so called pre-notified charges)

After today's news I don't think I am going to receive any of this back, though I sent a letter to HSBC today stating that charges imposed by them have not been proportionate to the actual admin costs and overdraft charges involved.

I did not mention that it gradually deteriorated my financial wellbeing as it is clear just by looking at my statements.

Over the years, my situation slowly, but gradually started to become worse and I just feel like a sinking ship now.

Do I still have a chance getting anything back, do you think?

Thank you,

Lain

• 1 month later...
Hi Johnny,

Im looking at the forums and it seems a few people are using new particulars in there claims - Have I missed the boat? I'm not as cleverr as the people on this forum but I do need to get this money the bank owe me (1300)

Just curious as to where the new particulars will be posted?

Thanks a million

Luke

Hello All,

Just like Luke, I have received the sod off letter few days ago and althoguh the bank charged me 4.450.00 (yes, four and a half grand) during past 3 years in overdraft or unauthorised overdraft - I explained that I am a sinking ship and my financial situation is getting worse and worse but they don't care.

Have I still got a chance to receive at least a fraction of these charges????

Please help!

Madlainey

Hi madlainey :)

You should open your own thread if you want dedicated info ...otherwise it gets mixed up with whoever started this one ... :cool:

Basically you should read up on the FAQs and prepare your list of charges like I told Luke in #8... then get a Prelim letter off to the bank using the Templates Library on here :

Links for new starters

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Templates library

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

If you open up your own thread madlainey , I'll keep an eye out for it and get this info transferred over .... Thanks ! :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Hi madlainey :)

You should open your own thread if you want dedicated info ...otherwise it gets mixed up with whoever started this one ... :cool:

Basically you should read up on the FAQs and prepare your list of charges like I told Luke in #8... then get a Prelim letter off to the bank using the Templates Library on here :

Links for new starters

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Templates library

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

If you open up your own thread madlainey , I'll keep an eye out for it and get this info transferred over .... Thanks ! :D

Hello,

I am sorry, I am not very good with forums :-)

In fact, I am not very good with computers either :-)

I will put a new post and take it from there!

Thanks,

Lain

Hello,

I wish to ask you for advice.

I posted a message a while back regarding bank charges.

You advised me to go ahead and I did but waited until the Supreme Court decision.

Even though the decision was in banks favour, I still wrote to my bank, gave them a full statement of financial penalties they imposed on me and it all added up to £4.490.53 (four and a half grand) within past 3 years only! (the figure relates only to my bank account overdraft and unauthorised overdraft charges, excluding unfair credit card chares etc.)

To make the long sotry short, I told them I am currently like a sinking ship and in financial hardship struggling to pay bills, mortgage or but food.

They sent me a letter back saying sod off, our charges are fine, it is your fault you cannot manage your finances etc. (they obvisouly used a highly sophisticated language)

They attached a monthly expenditure form and told me to phone them when I am ready with figures. I did. I was put through to at least 5 different people who could not help me, as they stated I am not eligible for any payment plan. I don't want no payment plan, I want at least some of the money they took away from my family!!!!!!

If it was not bad enough, the last rep I spoke to offered me signing up for Bank Plus account with a monthly charge of £13.00 at which point I just hung up. I am telling them my family's starving and they come up with yet another '' get ripped off and get yourself drown in debts'' proposition. Idiots.

They made me feel down as I cannot speak to a single competent person at HSBC, no one listens, the bank states the charges are fair (I wonder on what basis have they made a decision that their charges are fair???? getting unauthorised overdraft for £20.00 which is paid back in 3 days time resulting in £195.00 charges imposed on me???????)

So again to make long story short, what do I do next?

I know for fact, many of my work collegaues were paid the unfair charges back, so why the hell they cannot pay me? Is this not a discrimination? They chose to pay back to some of their customers and choose not to pay to the others?????

The financial services authority should get to work rather than watching banks rip us off. It is a great lobbying in this country, the Supreme Court stated the verdict but we live in the world of law, and it is the law that says you can proceed to the Highest Human Rights Tribunal if you have been let down by your country.

If I only had the money to pay a lawayer to take it there.....

Do I still write to my bank? Does it make any sense at all, since they are not reading my letters properly and I get automatic response letter and if I want to speak to someone at HSBC there is no competent people there?

They claim all the time that the verdict of the Supreme Court covers them for any charges imposed on customers, so the question is; with this all banking anarchy, will this be OK to charge customers £350.00 for getting overdraft from the next year onwards? And how about £500.00 the one year after?

Do I just let go?

Please help, before I pull all my hair out!

Lain

Hi lain , welcome back to the forum :) - thanks for opening your own thread ........

What stage is your claim at ? Is it in court 'Stayed' like thousands of others or just 'on hold' with the bank ?

You have, like an awful lot of other people been treated despicably by the bank .... getting them to acknowledge hardship is practically impossible , and as you so rightly say , the Financial Services like FSA,FOS, etc ... are pretty ineffective .....

The Supreme Court ruling in my opinion ., does not prevent people from continuing with their claims .... all it did was say that OFT could not rule these charges unfair under that narrowest of criteria Regulation 5(1).

We are waiting at the moment for some legal direction to amend the POCs of claims already in court , and new claims would obviously have to use those too, so it's a case of wait (for a few days now I think ) to see how proceed ...

I realise this doesn't help your current hardship Lain, and it's not going to be a swift process , but if you want to bear with it , at least until we hear the legal view.... ?:)

I know for fact, many of my work collegaues were paid the unfair charges back, so why the hell they cannot pay me? Is this not a discrimination? They chose to pay back to some of their customers and choose not to pay to the others?????

This must have been before the OFT Test Case butted in and fouled everything up in July 2007, Lain .....the banks didn't want to go to court then because they'd have had to give a breakdown of how their charges were arrived at , and they knew it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny .

So, they made what they called 'Goodwill payments ' which meant they refunded just before they had to go to court , and didn't have to admit they were wrong ..

I hope this has helped you to decide how you want to proceed , Lain .:)

And you know to just come back and ask if you need more info . :D

• Haha 1

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

'Tis OK Lain , I've found your new thread ..... :) . I'll ask a MOD to transfer this lot over ...... Well Done !

Nemo me impune lacessit

Nearly forgot to transfer my bit over :

Links for new starters

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Templates library

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

There you go ......LOL!

Nemo me impune lacessit

'Tis OK Lain , I've found your new thread ..... :) . I'll ask a MOD to transfer this lot over ...... Well Done !

Hello and Thank you.

As far as I can tell you do hell of a lot of good job here on the forum. I hope you get paid for it and if not - I hope that all your good energy will return to you one day, Good Man.

I feel down, yes, knowing I stuffed HSBC's pockets with £4.500.00 within past 3 years only, as a result of me and my husband being made redundant on few ocassions and struggling paying for food and bills. Most top HSBC bosses have chauffeurs driving Bentleys, the £4.500.00 figure reminds them of their kids' pocket money and customers in financial difficulty are the living food for them, HSBC parasites.

I will keep looking for more news as I want to do something to get at least a partial refund but at this point, I feel like I am stuck :-(

Where are all the organisations supporting customers like us?

Have they all been bribed yet?????

3 threads merged.Other posts moved here and retitled.

Thanks JM.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Thanks Martin ! :) that was quick ! :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Plenty of exp;)

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.