BoardinBob

Bank charges ruling and it's impact on PPCs

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3637 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I've been having a think about this.

The ruling in the bank charges case suggests to me that the Supreme Court has said that it's ok for a private company, in this case the banks, to levy penalty charges for breach of contract.

That's basically what it boils down to. The bank charges in no way reflected the actual losses incurred by the bank when someone breached the contract by going overdrawn without authorisation etc. Therefore they are penalty charges.

The supreme court have said these charges are fair.

So this opens up the possibility of any private company charging penalties for breach of contract.

Yes, no, maybe????

It makes no difference whatsoever.

PPC's have to have proved that you have entered into a contract in the first place. That's where they fall flat on their faces.

MBNA - Agreed to refund £970 in full without conditions. Cheque received Sat 5th Aug.:D

Lloyds - Settled for an undisclosed sum.:D

The ruling has no impact. It considered only the narrow area of whether the OFT could use its powers under UCTA regulations. It has no effect on Dunlop/penalty charges, which is a separate area under common law. The OFT clearly took the wrong approach, as is clear from the judgement where the court suggests the arguments they could have made but did not.

Question is whether ALL the claims are struck out immediately, or whether individual judges can decide for themselves.

If your case was allowed to be heard, the bank would still have to defend itself, which is something none of them have wanted to do so far.

To get a case heard with a bank defending would be a first. But I don't know whether the cases are to be struck out or not.

The dozier PPCs will think it is useful. how long till we see a PPC letter quoting the Bank charges decision ?

The ruling has no impact. It considered only the narrow area of whether the OFT could use its powers under UCTA regulations. It has no effect on Dunlop/penalty charges, which is a separate area under common law. The OFT clearly took the wrong approach, as is clear from the judgement where the court suggests the arguments they could have made but did not.
small correction, it's under the UTCCR, not the UCTA.
  • Haha 1

impact PPCs ? No. But the PPCs will think it does.

The dozier PPCs will think it is useful. how long till we see a PPC letter quoting the Bank charges decision ?

That will be on the next perkygrams, together with his 'stated' case of CPS v Thomas.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

AS soon as they can persuade a primary school toddler to draft it for them :lol:

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

AS soon as they can persuade a primary school toddler to draft it for them :lol:

Which WILL and IS already happening!

If my post was helpful don't forget to click the star!

Advice is offered freely, without liability and without prejudice.

If in any doubt professional legal advice should be sought.

I do not profess to be in any way legally trained, I am a big

oily truck driver and all I know has been learned within the

Consumer Action Group.

FAQ's

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Trying to stop smoking?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/give-up-smoking-here/

A dummies guide to the forums

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

--

KEEP WILDLIFE IN THE WILD

http://www.bornfree.org.uk

BORN FREE FOUNDATION

--