Laptop not as described bought online

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought a laptop online, the title said....

(Laptop name and type removed by me) - 15.4", CM575, 1GB, DVD/RW, SATA, 1280 x 800, 4 GB RAM, 160GB HDD

The description stated

Memory Internal memory :4096 MB

Internal memory type :DDR2

Memory slots :SODIMM

Memory clock speed :800 MHz

Thought, great a 4GB ram lappy just what I need. It arrived last night, I checked the laptop make on the delivery slip before opening it, it was the right one.

I opened it, activated it and started it up personalising all the details on the way.

When it was ready to use I checked it's specs via Dxdiag (for those not in the know dxdiag will list the systems specs onscreen).

My shiny new lappy only had 1GB of ram despite the description saying 4GB!!!

I checked the delivery slip and buried in the figures it stated 1GB RAM.

I emailed the site who have yet to reply and I know they have read my mail as the description of the laptop online was hurriedly changed this morning to show only 1GB of RAM.

I got this through a student grant and needed the 4GB for my work, 1GB is not good enough. I would not have ordered it if it clearly stated 1GB.

I have the following...

A copy of the webpage showing 4GB in both description and title.

A copy of my emailed receipt showing the same.

Checking the website now my invoice and order have been changed to show only 1GB, admittedly this is probably linked to the item number so as that has changed description they have changed to match.

What can I expect from them?

Can I request they supply memory to increase it up to the stated 4GB as I am pleased with the item other than the memory.

If I have to send it back to them must they pay for postage?

Can they refuse to do anything as the delivery slip stated 1GB?

Can they refuse to do anything as I opened the sealed box and activated it, it is therefore no longer resellable.

Their terms and conditions state...

2.1 The description and price of the goods you order will be as shown on the Supplier's website at the time you place your order.

...which seems to lean in my favour.

Apologies for the long post, can anyone help, cheers.

I think you have to wait for a reply to your email (or give them say 7 days without a reply) first, then come back for more help if you need it. You've done everything right so far, especially the screenshot of the original description.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

It does sound like they made a typo, this may mean that the model isn't even capable of supporting 4gb, If this is the case then your only option would be a refund, you would be entitled to this under the distance sellings regs anyway.

Keep us informed.

Andy