• Tweets

• https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126  
    • Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a PAP form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the PAP thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
    • Hi everyone.   Before I say anything, TFL finally responded to the email I sent last week:   Thank you for your email, we acknowledge the signed documents you have returned in preparation for your hearing.   We note that this matter is causing you some stress and anxiety, however this is not a reason for TfL to discontinue proceedings. It is not unusual for passengers that have been summonsed to court to experience these symptoms, and we do have some empathy with your concerns.   However, as previously stated, TfL do not accept out of court settlements, and you will have the opportunity at your hearing, to provide your mitigation to the court prior to a decision being reached by them on how they intend to deal with this matter (usually a fine).   I am sorry that this decision is not more favourable.   Yours sincerely   James Vallis     At least he sounds more sympathetic in this email…   Only one week to go until the court hearing and I am so so nervous. I’ve prepared some questions and answers in preparation for what to say to the magistrate. It will help calm me down if I know roughly what to expect. If you could give feedback on it that would be great. If you have anything to add please do let me know.   As far as I know the court hearing will happen in these stages: Introduction and statement of facts Pleading guilty for the journeys I made with my mother’s card Penalty sentencing Appeal (if charged with a criminal record)   Am I guilty? Yes.   Why did I not pay the fare legally? Last year there was a lot going on in my life and I was struggling financially so to relieve some of this I used my mother’s Oyster card. I know it’s not an excuse and it’s still wrong.   Why do I not accept a criminal record? I really don’t want it to affect my chances of finding a job in the future. I will be the one earning money in my family so I am doing my best and studying hard to be able to get a good job. A criminal record would mean that regardless of how hard I’m working I won’t get the job I want after I graduate. This fills me with so much regret, sadness and disappointment in myself. I just want to be a good daughter for my mother because she’s already had to deal with many hardships in her life and I don’t want to make it any harder for her.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Supreme court case not the end of the world

tomterm8
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not here to defend the banking system, but you're wrong in saying "without being asked for it". By the very nature of using your card, setting up a direct debit or standing order, you're issuing an instruction to make a payment on your behalf.

I agree that if an account reaches zero, the simplest thing would be to not pay out for you. No fees, no charges, just no payment. The problem is that the sheer volume of transactions each day makes this practically impossible.

Most banks employ an exceptions process that takes care of minor overspends based on your previous credit history with that bank. If you're a good guy who's salary comes in each month, they'll probably pay your mortgage even if your account can't cover it. Conversely, if you're not so financially astute, they will probably reject the payment.

The true cost of this process is totally irrelevant in all of this, and is probably impossible to calculate accurately. The point is that they decide what they will charge if you break their rules.

I can remember when we were charged for using our bank accounts if the balance fell below a certain level. IIRC it was 30p for every cheque, and 20p for each direct debit or standing order. In today's money that would probably be more like 50p or £1.00 a time.

If they went back to that system they would probably make a lot more money but the argument is why should those who live within their funds subsidise those who don't?

Think you will find that it was said in the supreme court ruling that it is the charges that fund free banking £2.6bn a year i.e. "robin hood in reverse"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think you will find that it was said in the supreme court ruling that it is the charges that fund free banking £2.6bn a year i.e. "robin hood in reverse"

They could easily turn a profit with free banking and no rip off charges. And if they all earned a bit less too? Even bigger profits. It's not like they are underpaid is it? :rolleyes:

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

They could easily turn a profit with free banking and no rip off charges. And if they all earned a bit less too? Even bigger profits. It's not like they are underpaid is it? :rolleyes:

I guess it all depends on who "they" are? Most branch staff earn about the same as retail staff, as most people on here already know I have several friends who work within RBS and who provide me with inside information from time to time.

If you're referring to the main board, the foreign executives, traders in Canary Wharf, then I'd have to agree with you, but in reality most of the bank workers you ever come face to face with earn way less than you'd believe.

I guess it all depends on who "they" are? Most branch staff earn about the same as retail staff, as most people on here already know I have several friends who work within RBS and who provide me with inside information from time to time.

If you're referring to the main board, the foreign executives, traders in Canary Wharf, then I'd have to agree with you, but in reality most of the bank workers you ever come face to face with earn way less than you'd believe.

You are quite right and I was indeed referring to the 100k plus club. Believe it or not I saw some highly paid tosser on TV a few months back trying to justify keeping bonuses. His argument revolved around the thousands of low level staff who would miss out on their £1,000 bonus which is a lot to them. My jaw actually dropped in disbelief. How about pay them all £1,000 more and then cancel the bonuses?! Anyone else see that?

Edited by renegotiation

You are quite right and I was indeed referring to the 100k plus club. Believe it or not I saw some highly paid tosser on TV a few months back trying to justify keeping bonuses. His argument revolved around the thousands of low level staff who would miss out on their £1,000 bonus which is a lot to them. My jaw actually dropped in disbelief. How about pay them all £1,000 more and then cancel the bonuses?! Anyone else see that?

Very well said! I think its obscene that certain individuals receive bonuses in excess of £1million when the thousands of staff at the sharp end get paid less than £13k with no golf breaks, trips to Formula One events, expense accounts, oh and not forgetting a fairly massive salary to begin with.

Those pour souls really empathise with the customers as they try to implement the policies of their masters, and they get rewarded by being threatened with redundancy......

The SC would seem to be denying consumers their rights, by deciding in advance what the merits of each case was. If the laws that are created to protect consumers are invalid, or cannot be applied, then this raises questions about the whole nature of the relationship between consumer/citizen and state, English law and European Law. There has got to be room somewhere in that for some decency and common sense to be exercised. Anyway, just because the SC says this matter cant be taken to Europe doesnt mean it is so. After all, 2 previous successful judgements have been overturned (and I still cant fathom out why!) so why cant the SC be overturned? Who are these people, and how are they in a position to decide what is fair? My message to caggers is never say die. Never. Between us and other interested parties I am sure a way can be found to overturn what I believe to be a decision based on political expediency, rather than Law. If Law is the administration of justice, then in this case it has surely failed, and in so doing, I believe has underestimated the possibiliity of real backlash from an already beleagured overtaxed, spied upon and lied to GB public.

Throughout the case with the OFT the banks played heavily on the fact that if they lost it would be the end of free banking as we know it. But i would guess that they make far more out the paultry interest that they credit to accounts, how it takes 4 days for monies you pay to arrive in accounts etc etc.

I agree that if an account reaches zero, the simplest thing would be to not pay out for you. No fees, no charges, just no payment. The problem is that the sheer volume of transactions each day makes this practically impossible.

No true at all. When you use a debit card and there are insufficient funds, the payment is refused. that's it... it's just NOT paid.

However, did you incur a bounced Debit Card Use fee??? No.

The same can be applied to the systems that issue DD's... If the money's not in your account, then bounce it the same... just don't pay it... but why does this process cost £25-39 when a 'bounced' debit card transaction costs nothing? It's an identical process... presentation, validation, reconciliation, refusal, notification.

Computer mainframse and bank CBS's can easily be tweaked to reject ANY payment where there insufficient funds.

The banks just try it on becaase they think the Great Unwashed knows no better. I've been putting these sytems in for years, and know precisely how they work.

I'm often a sarcastic SOB and speak my mind (and I don't do PC at all), but I have a laugh as I go. I won't be intimidated, and I don't take prisoners... so live with it, or go get yourself a humour implant :p

Copy of Law book from Amazon…£19.95, Refund Request stamp...32p, LBA stamp...also 32p, Court fees...£750.00,

The look on the bank's barrister's face, when they lost the '£25k Mother-of-all unfair charges' cases...(plus his £8k+ of costs)... Priceless!

The legal bit: These are my opinions and own view of legislation and process. I accept no liability whatsoever for any outcome as a result of anyone invoking any or all of the advice given - clarify your own personal stuation with an insured legal professional.

Saying that, I've used these methods against many of these corporate crooks:evil: and won hands down!:D

I've always thought that the real disgrace is the model of piling charges on charges, as if the charges were themselves borrowed money. This is what spirals people's debt out of control. If someone accidentally goes into a £10 overdraft, making a £30 charge is steep ,but legal it now seems legal.

What is still clearly to me wrong, and wide open to a regulation 5 challenge, is when the person pays back the £10 to treat them as still overdrawn by the £30, because they never borrowed the £30, it's not real money and the person never had the use of it so it should't be charged as an overdraft. It can be collected, but should be treated separately from the overdraft balance.

It's this practice that traps people into the quicksand of inflating charges, and should have been the focus of the OFT (rather than amount of the charge being higher than cost, which was flawed.) It's the term allowing charges to be treated as money borrowed that is the actual Regulation 5 unfair term.

It's a bit like giving someone a £30 fine for fare evasion. Then if it is still unpaid the next three times they travel that week, even if they pay the fares this time, giving them another three £30 fines because the first is treated as oustanding fares.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

You 'll be giving them fresh ideas! :eek:

But, it absolutely dismisses their claim that they can't pick and choose which items to reject.

I'm often a sarcastic SOB and speak my mind (and I don't do PC at all), but I have a laugh as I go. I won't be intimidated, and I don't take prisoners... so live with it, or go get yourself a humour implant :p

Copy of Law book from Amazon…£19.95, Refund Request stamp...32p, LBA stamp...also 32p, Court fees...£750.00,

The look on the bank's barrister's face, when they lost the '£25k Mother-of-all unfair charges' cases...(plus his £8k+ of costs)... Priceless!

The legal bit: These are my opinions and own view of legislation and process. I accept no liability whatsoever for any outcome as a result of anyone invoking any or all of the advice given - clarify your own personal stuation with an insured legal professional.

Saying that, I've used these methods against many of these corporate crooks:evil: and won hands down!:D

No true at all. When you use a debit card and there are insufficient funds, the payment is refused. that's it... it's just NOT paid.

The same can be applied to the systems that issue DD's... If the money's not in your account, then bounce it the same... just don't pay it... but why does this process cost £25-39 when a 'bounced' debit card transaction costs nothing? It's an identical process... presentation, validation, reconciliation, refusal, notification.

Computer mainframse and bank CBS's can easily be tweaked to reject ANY payment where there insufficient funds..

Sorry to rain on your parade but you are wrong.

First of all the systems are nowhere near sophisticated enough to keep a live running balance to prevent debit card transactions and second, retailers are notoriously fickle when it comes to collecting their payments.

I used to work on systems maintenance and can assure you there are huge holes in the real-time processes which is why banks have introduced card misuse fees.

As an example - you purchase goods during late night opening in M&S (one of the worst offenders) on a Friday night and spend your last £50. Next morning you check your balance and find you still have £50 available so you withdraw the money from a cash machine.

On Tuesday, after M&S have processed their sales backup from the weekend, £50 is taken from your account and hey presto you're now overdrawn resulting in a £20 maintenance fee for going into the red and your debit card transaction creates a Card Misuse Fee @£15 per transaction) and you're now owing the bank £85. If you don't repay this on time you'll incur interest and probably further charges next month too.

There is no "bounced debit card fee" because they don't bounce, if approved at the point of sale they are always paid, irrespective of what's in the account. If there's not enough to cover the transaction, they are refused at the point of sale. There cannot be a bounced card transaction fee because there's nothing to charge for. Its a simple "no", the sale doesn't go through as I'm sure we've all experienced at least once. The problems really lay with everyone's reliance on the not-so-perfect systems.

The Direct Debit systems are more sophisticated as they are generally pre-notified by nature of their regularity. This enables the so called "smart" systems to reconcile regular payments against regular credits giving customers the benefit of the doubt if a credit is delayed. The aim being to protect credit scores by returning fewer payments for good customers.

For those with poor scores, a decline decision is made automatically, subject to review if the customer puts the account into credit on the day the payment is due.

I agree that it would be far simpler to not pay in any instance where funds are unavailable but the banks do for some people and that's the situation we have to live with.

Edited by rickyd

The banks weren't told they couldn't go to the Supreme Court as it didn't exist at that time, it only came into being in October this year.

That's not answering the question, it was still called the House of Lords then.

The banks WERE refused leave to go to the HOL, but did it anyway. Then the HOL became the Supreme Court, but the reasoning remains the same.

Sorry to rain on your parade but you are wrong.

First of all the systems are nowhere near sophisticated enough to keep a live running balance to prevent debit card transactions and second, retailers are notoriously fickle when it comes to collecting their payments.

I used to work on systems maintenance and can assure you there are huge holes in the real-time processes which is why banks have introduced card misuse fees.

I know precisely how they work... my company has spent the last 22 years putting mainframes and U/CBS's into said banks and other companies... we're over here in the Caribbean putting a new one in here for a global group.

I disagree with your overall point... it's a bit generalistic, and might cover off some fo the older systems. But hey, I respect your right to disagree.

I know precisely how they work... my company has spent the last 22 years putting mainframes and U/CBS's into said banks and other companies... we're over here in the Caribbean putting a new one in here for a global group.

I disagree with your overall point... it's a bit generalistic, and might cover off some fo the older systems. But hey, I respect your right to disagree.

I didn't understand either until I tried it myself, it is entirely possible to spend your last cent and yet find funds in your account through an ATM the next morning - and that's where the problems begin. If you went into a bank branch they would point out that you were stony broke and refuse your withdrawal request. The problems seem to seem to centre on the ATM network.

As an example - you purchase goods during late night opening in M&S (one of the worst offenders) on a Friday night and spend your last £50.

The problem maybe with M&S having a slow or delayed system not the bank.

The Waiver is an FSA Conspiracy with the banks against the consumer - Complain to your MP and the FSA about their shameful act!

I've always thought that the real disgrace is the model of piling charges on charges, as if the charges were themselves borrowed money. This is what spirals people's debt out of control. If someone accidentally goes into a £10 overdraft, making a £30 charge is steep ,but legal it now seems legal.

What is still clearly to me wrong, and wide open to a regulation 5 challenge, is when the person pays back the £10 to treat them as still overdrawn by the £30, because they never borrowed the £30, it's not real money and the person never had the use of it so it should't be charged as an overdraft. It can be collected, but should be treated separately from the overdraft balance.

It's this practice that traps people into the quicksand of inflating charges, and should have been the focus of the OFT (rather than amount of the charge being higher than cost, which was flawed.) It's the term allowing charges to be treated as money borrowed that is the actual Regulation 5 unfair term.

It's a bit like giving someone a £30 fine for fare evasion. Then if it is still unpaid the next three times they travel that week, even if they pay the fares this time, giving them another three £30 fines because the first is treated as oustanding fares.

Bravo! The real nub of the issue is exactly that.

The fees should not attract interest on themselves, rather, if they exist at all they should sit separately from the account balance and not make matters so much worse for eveyone.

As an example - you purchase goods during late night opening in M&S (one of the worst offenders) on a Friday night and spend your last £50.

The problem maybe with M&S having a slow or delayed system not the bank.

You may be right, but it is a fact that they do no data processing at weekends and now they're open 7 days (at least in Scotland) perhaps its time to change this. The sad fact is that they are not the only retailer that does this.

Well the ruling by the SC certainly livened things up again.

The OFT got it wrong in pursuing the "unfair" bit of the T&C

Personally I think the whole banking crisis has led to the decision to find in favour of the banks, Government is pouring in Billions, making another hole in the system to let it out again now would look bad.

Anyone who thinks the House of Lords would have come to a different conclusion is delusionary, where do most of them work or keep their cash huh?

The main victory was the lifting of the hold on claims, the banks WILL NOT want to get into court any more now than 2 years ago & press coverage that "the banks have won" is designed to blow away any more interest in future reclaims.

There is still a case to prove on this & some way to go, but from the start the banks have been obdurate, stubborn & downright nasty, every peice of literature is bullying to get YOU the consumer to back down.

Not me, no chance.

You may be right, but it is a fact that they do no data processing at weekends and now they're open 7 days (at least in Scotland) perhaps its time to change this. The sad fact is that they are not the only retailer that does this.

I've used a visa debit card on a Sunday and the amount I used came off my available balance instantly. They do have the systems in place. Sometimes you have to wait to see the transaction come up on your online statement, but the amount does always comes off your available balance when the card is used.

David Davis just said exactly the same thing on Question Time.

I digress a little, but LOL at Lord Falconer trying to save his bacon. He is telling big porkies.

Hi Surlybonds

ermmmmm....yes

I paid for something on the internet....£2.00 yes two pounds, on a saturday

it was authorised and paid there and then come monday they took out the previous months charges and then the £2 guess what ???? the £2 put me over and I got a £28 maintenance fee and a £35 gurantee card payment fee

thats £63 for going overdrawn by less than £2.

the point is they must have known that there would be insufficient funds when it was authorised and they let me do it anyway. !!!!!

A prepay card would not of let me do that....why cant the banks do that ??

debt engineering ....thats why

B?*7^%stards

rgds

dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

The OFT got it wrong in pursuing the "unfair" bit of the T&C

Personally I think the whole banking crisis has led to the decision to find in favour of the banks, Government is pouring in Billions, making another hole in the system to let it out again now would look bad.

The main victory was the lifting of the hold on claims, the banks WILL NOT want to get into court any more now than 2 years ago & press coverage that "the banks have won" is designed to blow away any more interest in future reclaims.

There is still a case to prove on this & some way to go, but from the start the banks have been obdurate, stubborn & downright nasty, every peice of literature is bullying to get YOU the consumer to back down.

Well done... it is precisely that... a fair amount of bullying and now downright lying about how the case will proceed from here ... in their view only. Honestly, these ****ing banks think the courts are their exclusive domain... well, having said that... after yesterday's laugh :rolleyes:

As Steve Hone has put in his summing up post... we are simply back to square one as of two years ago.

We now hit back with a new attack and new weapons... and I think we can also use the very case that was handed down yesterday to our advantage. They have actually created a bit of an Archilles' heel for themselves.

THE BANKS CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!