Banks 1-0 Consumers

buzby
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The fact that the Banks have won their appeal to the Supreme Court just goes to show how much the judjes feel for the proles. What a disgrace! This does not bode well for the campaign to outlaw differential pricing on payments (DD, Vs Cheques and CC).

tho i note the oft are still stating they will chase it

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I don;t believe that decision is within their gift - they may say it, but on what basis? Considering they've only just been created, and the action originally was to the Lords, the EU takes precedence irrespective of their wishes, and if there is no further appeal route - their creditibilty (of their first substantial judgement) will be in tatters.

It can't go to Europe, the Supreme Court have decreed that it cannot go to the European Court of Justice

Staggering decision

How can they say that it can't go to europe, we are part of the euopean union. To say we can't go to Europe is just wrong. Like to see some one challege that statement..

Having now read the judgement - what a palaver, they were allowing stays based on this very narrow action? Heck, this only referred to O/d charges, yet the banks have been using this to block everything - from unfair letter charges to (probably) ingroing toenails. The OFT really dropped the ball on this. I wouldn't trust them to change a lightbulb...

How can they say that it can't go to europe, we are part of the euopean union. To say we can't go to Europe is just wrong. Like to see some one challege that statement..
Indeed thats like swipping the carpet from under our feet and denying us justice which goes against the principles of the human rights act.

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

After this judgment, I doubt that they'd be allowed to change a lightbulb without permission from their Lordships. :rolleyes:

And to think we expected to 'win'?! I'll not be so easily fooled again - but at least all the stays will be lifted and business at usual in getting the justiciary to decide what is 'fair'.

Make no mistake, The banks lost big time.

The judgement even tells you which section of law to use in your claim !

The Consumer Forums - Announcements in Forum : General

Lady Hale even suggests that there is a cartel going on that perhaps should be investigated

"Or is the real problem that we do not have a real choice because the

suppliers all offer much the same product and do not compete on some of their terms?

This is the situation here. But it is not clear to me whether the proper solution is to find

some way of forcing the suppliers to compete with one another in the terms they offer or

whether the solution is to condemn one particular model of charging for those services.

Fortunately, however, that is for Parliament and not for this Court."

M1

At the end of the day the issue is whether the banks are entitle to charge a fine or not. We all know these 'charges' ar indeed 'penalties/fines' but the banks cannot call them that because they would be unrecoverable. Only the crown is allowed to issue fines in the true sense of the word. The banks can only charge for their losses and we all know that their charges are disproportinately higher than their losses. Remember credit card charges a few years ago were capped at £12? So whats the difference?

It would appear that the OFT and FSA havn't presented their case correctly. If they had then i'm sure the judgement would of been different! Maybe they will get it right next time around!