• Tweets

• Hi Dave, Yep .... Will have to do AOS tomorrow .... Are you referring to CPR 31.14 Request?
    • I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DVLA: Court Summons - Help..!

Achtrich
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've browsed a number of topics here and it looks like the right place to get help on this kind of thing. This is my first post (of many I'm sure!) so... Hi.

Today I received court summons because:

"On 27.09.2009 you failed to give information, which it was in your power to give, which might lead to the identification of the person or persons responsible for mechanically propelled motor vehicle, registration mark XXXX XXX on the 3.2.09"

The story so far:

I sold a moped to somebody via eBay last year. As you'd expect, I completed the V5 in the buyer's presence and sent it off. Case closed as far as I'm concerned..?

I received a letter 2 August 2009 notifying me that someone else was applying for a V5 for the moped in question. I did think twice that I was still the registered keeper, but as the letter suggested that someone else was applying to be the keeper, I presumed it was never processed and they had to apply for it manually. So, still not really anything required from me... The letter advised that within 14 days the person requesting the V5 would be the registered keeper. So, case closed this time, right?

I received another letter 2 September 2009 stating:

"I have received information which indicates you were no longer the keeper of the above vehicle on 03/02/2009. You do not appear to have notified us of the disposal of the vehicle ... this is an offense

... take action A or B below.

A) If you were responsible ... out of court settlement ... £55.00

B) If you were not responsible ... you are required by law to give information about who was using or keeping the vehicle at the time of the alleged offense ... Please complete the statement overleaf and return by 26/09/2009. Failure ... is an offence"

I'm not responsible - as previously stated, I sent off the relevant V5 document.

I received another letter (not dated) asking for a £55.00 out of court settlement fee. As described in the previous letter, this fine applies to people responsible of the offence - not me! I presumed they were in the process of working this out.

Today I received court summons.

From reading other posts, I've deduced that I've done my duty by sending off the V5, and that unless they can prove that I didn't, I'm not in any trouble.

Am I responsible for them not receiving my notice that I'm not responsible for the above offence however? I haven't spoken to anyone at the DVLA yet, but I can only presume that, in the absence of receiving my response, they've assumed I've willingly failed to provide information.

So, do you think it's possible, if I call DVLA and explain that I did respond with the V5 and notification that I didn't commit the offense, they'll cancel my court date? If they don't, how should I prepare for court?

As a side note, I don't believe I have any record of the new keeper. I sold the vehicle through eBay, and eBay only holds details of sold items for 60 days. Therefore I don't have any information, regardless of whether or not they claim to have received it.

Thanks in advance.

Don't waste your phone call calling DVLA. Do reply to the summons in writing offering your defence that you did indeed comply fully with the law and posted the V5c to DVLA on......(date).

When you go to court you simply have to swear the same to the magistrate and the case will be won by you. You can ask for reasonable costs is you take time of work to attend.

Many, many people are falling victim to this :mad:

You posted the V5 & can do no more than assume that whatever you post lands at its intended destination & the court accepts this so you have a complete defence :D

Your responsibility ends as soon as the completed V5 gets physically dropped into the letter box since after this, the notification is out of your control.

Go to court (you'll be one of many there on the day charged with the same offence!) & tell the judge that you posted the V5 on xx/xx/2009 & you WILL win :D

Thanks guys... I was fuming about this last night. Where would I be without the internet? Hah.

That all sounds great - I won't call the DVLA for now then.

My only question: the court summons accuse me of failing to provide information in September of this year, opposed to not supplying the V5 last year. Is this a different offense? I'm not quite sure if they're accusing me of not sending the V5, not sending a response to their request for information or both..?

Should I attend court armed with any particular documents?

Thanks again!

You're worrying too much - you have sent the information required by law therefore you are not & can not be found guilty.

Once the documents have been posted, what documents would you have to take to court?

The DVLA have to prove to the magistrates beyond all reasonable doubt that you failed to discharge your legal obligations & quite simply, they cannot do this therefore they will fail & you will win :D

the bit of legislation your after is section 7 of the interpretations act 1978:

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

ie you filled out their required form and followed their required process and stuck it in the post box, which is the stated method of communication so Dear DVLA get stuffed!

They is no legal requirement for you to receive one of their famous acknowledgments.

Thank you hungrybear - I knew that there was an actual piece of legislation but for the life of me I couldn't remember it (I'm getting on you know:oops:) :lol:

OMG I just realised I've been helping a manc supporter of my own free will.... I feel sick:eek:.

• 1 month later...