Housing benefit - declaring a job

Jenna11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i need on advice as on what to do

my father who i live with is on Employment Support Allowance and claims housing benefit and council tax

...i finished uni 5 months ago and found a job and have been working for 5 months

i now understand that i have to notify the housing benefits that i still live with my father and i work , and i am liable to pay some money towards the rent

what i am worried about is if they say why did you not notify us 5 months ago and take me to court/fine me?

this will affect my job and most likely i will lose my job if i get a fraud charge on me.

i am willing to pay all money i owe.

thanx

You will not be in trouble as your father is the person claiming benefit. He will have to pay back the benefit he has not been entitled to over the last 5 months, classed as an "overpayment" and yes the Fraud Investigation Service may take an interest in him also for failing to declare the change in circumstances. They do however tend to be lenient on people who are upfront with them and show a willingness to pay it back, so he may not receive a penalty at all - if the FIS even get involved at all. They may see little point if he now declares and pays back what he owes.

If your father is the tenant and you are not on the tenancy agreement as a joint tenant, he would not be liable for the full rent. Instead they would apply a deduction to his benefit known as "non dependent deduction". How much would depend on your earnings, I can post up the rates if you want to see them.

This will also affect his council tax benefit.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

You will not be in trouble as your father is the person claiming benefit. He will have to pay back the benefit he has not been entitled to over the last 5 months, classed as an "overpayment" and yes the Fraud Investigation Service may take an interest in him also for failing to declare the change in circumstances. They do however tend to be lenient on people who are upfront with them and show a willingness to pay it back, so he may not receive a penalty at all - if the FIS even get involved at all. They may see little point if he now declares and pays back what he owes.

If your father is the tenant and you are not on the tenancy agreement as a joint tenant, he would not be liable for the full rent. Instead they would apply a deduction to his benefit known as "non dependent deduction". How much would depend on your earnings, I can post up the rates if you want to see them.

This will also affect his council tax benefit.

Thank you for this useful advice much appreciated

now i can calm down and stress less

I'll get the rates up for you then you can work out how much your Dad will owe. Just a minute, Jenna

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Here you are:

Here's a run down for a non dependent (HB):

Aged under 25 and receiving income support or job seekers allowance (income based)

Deduction = £0.00

Receiving Pension Guarantee Credit

Deduction = £0.00

Aged 25 or over and receiving income support or job seekers allowance (income based

Deduction = £7.40

Aged 18 or over and not working more than 16 hours per week.

Deduction = £7.40

Gross income less than £120.00

Deduction = £7.40

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £120.00 to £177.99

Deduction = £17.00

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £178.00 to £230.99

Deduction = £23.35

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £231.00 to £305.99

Deduction = £38.20

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £306.00 to £381.99

Deduction = £43.50

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £382.00 and above

Deduction = £47.75

Non Dependent on ESA:

Aged under 25 and receiving income related ESA during the assessment phase

Deduction = £0.00

Aged under 25 and receiving income related ESA during the main phase

Deduction = £7.40

Aged under 25 and receiving contributory ESA

Deduction = £7.40

Aged over 25 and receiving income related ESA

Dedcution = £7.40

Aged over 25 and receiving contributory ESA

Deduction = £7.40

Here's a run down for a non dependent (CTB):

Receiving income support or job seekers allowance (income based)

Deduction = £0.00

Receiving pension credit guarantee credit

Deduction = £0.00

Aged 18 or over and not working over 16 hours a week and not receiving income support or job seekers allowance (income based)

Deduction = £2.30

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income under £178.00

Deduction = £2.30

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £178.00 to £305.99

Deduction = £4.60

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £306.00 to £381.99

Deduction = £5.90

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £382.00 and above

Deduction = £6.95

Non Dependent on ESA:

Aged under 25 and receiving income related ESA during the main phase

Deduction = £0.00

Aged under 25 and receiving contributory ESA

Deduction = £2.30

Aged over 25 and receiving income related ESA

Deduction = £0.00

Aged over 25 and receiving contributory ESA

Deduction = £2.30