bumblebee2009

Backdated tax credits reduce housing benefit???? IS THAT RIGHT?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3642 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi...

.... I wonder if any one can help me?

I have recently had a baby and have been sorting out tax credits and housing benefit, however I seem to be a bit confused.

I received my tax award letter based on last year income, and i have now informed them that i will not be getting that amount this year due to smp pay.

They have readjusted it, and my tax credits have gone up...however they have included backdated amounts in the future payments i.e tax credits from July to April in future payment. I applied for housing benefit to start from the end of October when i moved to my new place. However with the new adjustment i will need to inform them of the income i am getting in i.e the new tax credit figure.

But this seems a bit unfair that my housing benefit is going to be reduced when the tax credit figure included 3 months of backdated money? Do i have to declare the backdated figure as this money should have been paid before i had even applied for housing benefit??

Hopefully i have explained it so that you can understand? Its all a bit confusing!

Thanks

Edited by bumblebee2009