Human Resources advocating we have to take drugs rather than be sick!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We recently received an email from our HR Department that stated that we should take over the counter medicines if we are sick rather than having a day off.

I started with the company in June this year, the problem I now have is that I keep passing out - I am not allowed to take time off to see the Doctor - if I do then I have to make up the time, I am already working at least 10 hours extra a week (unpaid). If I do any more over time I become even more tired and pass out more often.

What would happen if I collapsed at work, and hit my head causing serious injuries? bearing in mind we have been told that sick days are not acceptable and that we should just take "drugs".... would this come under a breach of health and safety?

It's a clear breach of health & safety!

If you have repeatedly passed out at work your employer should be addressing the matter to ensure your safety and that of those around you.

I'd speak to your line manager forthwith, and if the matter isn't sorted out put in a formal grievance.

You need to address your health problem too, it isn't normal to frequently faint. Insist that you be given opportunity to see your GP.

In fact, your employer should be insisting you do so.

Do you have a written statement of the terms and conditions of your employment?

What does it say about your working hours?

Why should you do unpaid overtime? If you're anywhere near National Minimum Wage then they're breaking the law having you do extra work.

Your email from your HR people would probably be of great interest to the HSE. particularly given the obsession with swine flu at the moment.

Thier email directly opposes goventment advice on swine flu let alone flying in the face of the 1974 H&S act.

You cannot legally be disciplined for notifying the HSE of your concerns, regardless of length of service

Good, solid replies on the employment law side, so I will swerve it.

What you could claim If injured at work due to breach of h&s act and subsesequent six pack you would have a personal injury claim - explain this to your employer - maybe ask what there libility insurers think of this policy and your specific position.

Thanks for all your help and info... I will start collating a file, there are other issues that I wish to take up as well.. like being emailed and told I was not to attend the team building course!! two of us were delibrately excluded and told not to attend... I asked if I could be reimbursed my train ticket as the team building event was being held on a Saturday ( I am not contracted to work weekends) and so my weekly ticket doesn't cover it... I was told my attitude was disgusting! it worked out that by the time I had to get cover in place for my family and pay additonal fayres that I would have been £120 out of pocket.....

If you dont have the required service it may not matter as certain H & S issues (disciplined for raising concerns on dangers at work) are exempt from this, I would expect the comment I made to be said when stating these concerns as it is relevant to it.

If you dont have the required service it may not matter as certain H & S issues (disciplined for raising concerns on dangers at work) are exempt from this, I would expect the comment I made to be said when stating these concerns as it is relevant to it.

Indeed reporting breaches of statute cannot legally result in discipliary action.

See my earlier post