PP2023

Urgent advice : council tax arrears after 8 yrs

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3592 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

) I have just received the letter from debt recovery to pay the council tax arrears relates to more then 8 years ago.

2) At that time I was living with other students. I don;t know where are they now ?

3) Now i received the letter at my current address adressing with other 2 of my friends name who are not living with me. Can debt recovery agency send the letter adressing other people name to my address who is not the premises ?

4) Apart from that debt recovery lettery i haven't received any letter relates to council tax arrears.

5) The debt recovery letter doesn't mentioned the period of concil tax arrears but I only find its relates to 8 years ago. Even the period what they have mentioned by telephone..i was there only for half of the period but my friends were there when i left. I didn't know when they left the premises.

6) I don't have any tenancy agreement paper neither i remember whether we did the tenancy agreement paper or not ? Even we did the tenancy agreement paper how many of we signed on the agreement ? Even we did the agreement whether it was one agreement or separate agreement i can't remember because it was more than 8 years old .

7) When i phoned to council they informed me they have posted series of letters from feb 08 to my current address. But i haven't received any of that. I request i need to establish first whether i am liable for not so please send the tenancy agreement paper and all the documents what you have correspondent to my address. They informed they do have a agreement document. But denied to post any previous correspondance letter including summon and tenancy agreement. I have been informed due to legal reason they can't provide me. Only they can provide me the invoice.

:cool: Liability order is issued in 3 persons name (including my self) but at that time more than 3 persons were there.

9) All the room door's had a lock system, all of we were not the part of same family background and sharing main entrance, hall, toilet and bathrooms . Doesn't it qualify for Multiple occupancy ?

Would you please how am i going to deal the case ..neither council is providing any documents nor do i have ....Isn't it council responsibillity to proof i am liable..i am wonder what kind of document council has submitted to court to obtain the liabiity order ?

Please advice me what should i do on this situation:

Hi Sounds like your property was an HIMO (House in Multiple Occupation.) The landlord would have been respomsible in this case - anyway I thought students were exempt from C/tax? I suggest a letter to your MP may solve your troubles( especially with an election looming)

Thanks very much. But i am waiting for invoice from Council . At least i have written confirmation of the period.

So long as ALL the people sharing were students it is council tax exempt