What is the likelihood of a 7 year old car failing its MOT on emissions?

sequenci
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Seq :),

Is the car diesel or petrol ??

In either case it's likely to be the injectors that are at fault.

These are on ebay at about £40

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Have you had the car since new? Has it been serviced according to the manufacturer's guidlines?

I've had the car for the last 3 years, the service history is pretty decent. I get it done via a main dealer.

Perhaps you should explore the Sales of Goods Act.

If the fault on your car is inconsistent with its age and mileage, regardless of the expiry of the warranty, the dealer who sold you the vehicle may have obligations to rectify the fault.

I believe a good way to start is to phone 4 or 5 service centers for your car and speak to mechanics and establish if the fault is rare or common for the age and mileage.

The fact that you have had the car serviced, in their eyes, correctly, should prevent them from blaming the fault on you.

Dealers also tend to be more generous when you remind them that you may be in the market for a new car sometime in the future.

It's an interesting point but I'm pretty happy just to get the car fixed. I've had it a fair old while and it's sailed through the three previous MOT's. I think I'm trying to work out if there is a reasonable likelihood that a car of this age would fail on something like this as the mechanic is looking to change something to do with the lambda which is a £300 job.

Ooops you altered your post while I was typing, lol.

No worries!

I'm not worried about paying it, the mechanic is used by many of my friends. I think I'm just having a rant about forking out a few hundred quid a month before christmas :(

It's an interesting point but I'm pretty happy just to get the car fixed. I've had it a fair old while and it's sailed through the three previous MOT's. I think I'm trying to work out if there is a reasonable likelihood that a car of this age would fail on something like this as the mechanic is looking to change something to do with the lambda which is a £300 job.

Ring around some mechanics:-)

Have you notice any start issues

Not really.

slight jerk in acceleration

Yeah, a little bit.

or increase in fuel consumption?

I think so, although I've only been using the car to get to and from the train station which is about 2.5 miles away and often slow going.

are you comfortable with working on your own car?

do you have any time left to be able to run the car -like did you MOT the car before the previous MOT ran out?

if so then you could go down to Halfords and buy a can of engine flush, you basically pour it in with the oil and run the car for a while, then drain the oil, and replace with fresh oil.

also get some of the injector cleaner stuff that they sell as well, and put that in the tank and drive around for a while. -obviously you can't do this if the MOT has fully expired and you can't drive the car any more.

at least that way you'll have only spent about £25 on some engine flush, oil, new oil filter and some injector cleaner -and about an hour of your time to do the work... and it might get through the test.

that would seem a bit better to me than spending £300... and gives you a good chance of passing the MOT.

Here's the proper way to do it.

Your car will have what is known as OBD 2 control systems on it. So first check for codes. Then the lambda sensor will need checking. The odds are it's a lambda or cat fault given the age and use the car has. Should take the dealer no more than an hour to diagnose and that's being generous. You should be able now to pick up a cat for around £100 exchange and a sensor for about £30. The sensors can be difficult to get out though.

Here's the proper way to do it.

Your car will have what is known as OBD 2 control systems on it. So first check for codes. Then the lambda sensor will need checking. The odds are it's a lambda or cat fault given the age and use the car has. Should take the dealer no more than an hour to diagnose and that's being generous. You should be able now to pick up a cat for around £100 exchange and a sensor for about £30. The sensors can be difficult to get out though.

This is exactly what the mechanic has said, thanks for your help!

The lambda probes and catalytic converter can get contaminated by lead. Though unleaded petrol has been used, it is not lead free, there is a small amount of naturally ocurring lead present. Also the use of silicone sealant for gaskets will contaminate the probes.

The only get out that I can see is if this model of car was advertised under Fords slogan at the time:

'Engineered to last'

With Ford saying this, they should be better informed than most.

The lambda probes and catalytic converter can get contaminated by lead. Though unleaded petrol has been used, it is not lead free, there is a small amount of naturally ocurring lead present. Also the use of silicone sealant for gaskets will contaminate the probes.

The only get out that I can see is if this model of car was advertised under Fords slogan at the time:

'Engineered to last'

With Ford saying this, they should be better informed than most.

Very slightly true but the cats are designed to overcome this. In fact it's only very slight trace elements naturally occurring and these are as minute as the toxic background radiation naturally occuring in a house. Silicone sealents will affect it but cannot withstand the temperatures where they are located so will be burnt off anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, update time.

Lambda sensors have been changed. The first thing I've noticed is how much more responsive the engine is! MOT all passed. I must thank Heliosuk for all his assistance, it feels like a new car so I'm a very pleased Sequenci :)

Thanks again!