ROME2MANDALAY

Nursery fees

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3642 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Sorry, I couldn't find a section relevant to post this thread, so done it here. Basically, I am on maternity leave until March 2010, and i got my daughter a place in nursery, due to start then.

Sadly, I got made redundant at work last week, and our job is relocating from Manchester to Birmingham, so I am having to move to Brum.

I paid the deposit for nursery 2 months ago (150.00) and I rang them up yesterday to cancel her place and they told me that the deposit is non refundable, it is only refundable once they complete 4 weeks notice at nursery.

This seems crazy as I have given them 4 months notice that she will not be going, and they will not have a problem finding somebody to fill her place as it is in the city centre. Is there anything I can do? Thanks

It depends of the terms and conditions prevailing. If there were none, then a deposit is your assurance to the merchant that your intendion to to take up the place is binding. They CAN modify this to say if the place is taken up they will refund the fee (or a percentage of it), but they are under no obligation. The upside to this is that the money you paid is your maximum exposure to the breach - they cannot come back to you and say they coudn;t fill the place and you are liable for the balance of the minimum placement time agreed... your £150 is your only liability to them.

There have been many complaints on CAG from people who have blithely paid deposits and because they did not recieve the services because a change of mind or circumstances, fully expect their money to be returned. The point is, once a deposit has been paid, it signifies your agreement to the supply of those services. If the firm didn't supply the promised service, you would be entitled to your money back, AND probably compensation for time in reaching an alternative solution. However if it is you changing your mind (because circumstances dictate a change of plan) this is not the fault or concern of the nursery, and are entitled to retain the money paid to hold the place. They MAY already have had enquiries for the place and they refused due to reaching the maximum number of children - you don't know - but if you put your request nicely in a letter, saying you realise you change of plan was inconvenient for both of you, but you cannot lose so much money, could they please reconsider? This approach might well work!

Thanks Buzby. I didn't think I would be entitled to it tbh, but never mind, it would've came in useful. Thanks anyway, might try the letter approach.