Joma

Entire Credit Reprt Given to Father !

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3648 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

My father recently applied for Fraud/ID Theft through his bank. They sent him a credit report containing his entire credit history and to my horror and embarrassment they also included all my financial details!

The report contained every detail of every credit card I hold and full details of every loan I have held and hold at the moment. The details clearly belong to two different people, as each account showed our names and different addresses.

My father phoned the credit reference agency, that supplied the report to the bank, a couple of weeks ago. They said they would investigate, but so far neither of us has heard back from them.

My question is apart from an apology and explanation, should I expect/be entitled to any compensation from them for the embarrassment they have caused me and for the unauthorised disclosure and my financial details to a third party.

Thanks for you help.

hiya

and welcome to cag

i would be livid if this happened to me

i would contact the information commissioner office and see if certainly a report to them will also start the ball rolling with your data being divulged to a 3rd party - try below link

www.ico.gov.uk

not sure what kind of compensation you can ask for but i would certainly complain in your own right too, and send it recorded or signed for so you have a paper trail for your records

of course they could put it down to purely human error but personal security of data is so important to everyone and their privacy - it needs to be as foolproof as possible

anyway good luck and keep looking and reading around the forum

just keep posting any other problems with regard to this thread but im sure others will soon come along with any other useful info for you

laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Hi

My question is apart from an apology and explanation, should I expect/be entitled to any compensation from them for the embarrassment they have caused me and for the unauthorised disclosure and my financial details to a third party.

Does your Dad have the same name as you? Are you linked via your credit file?

Well first of the ICO cannot award you any compensation, it's not in their remit even if they uphold your complaint to them and I suggest you do make a complaint to them.

Your first course of action should be to contact the people providing the report and ask them for their complaints procedure and make your complaint formal. If they have a compensation scheme you should perhaps explore that avenue with them, if they don't agree to pay you anything then your only other course of action would be to take them to court yourself.

The claim would need to be along the lines of stress that it caused you (consequential losses I don't think would apply here) and only

then if you sufferered some sort of damage from them revealing your info.

If you do go on to make a claim be careful on how you substantiate it as in thy provided you with both your fathers details as well as yours, if when making your claim you send them what they sent you as in both sets of details then in essence you're doing the same as them by sending information that was not yours to send (as in your fathers) and they'd probably make that point stick when writing back to you...so get your dads permission etc.

Personally speaking I would concentrate on the Organisation that were responsible for sending your information along with your Dads and see if they operate a compensation scheme as proving in a civil court that they caused you distress and damage would be difficult.

It's regrettable what happened to you, I'd be furious if it happened to me but in the grand scheme of things and given it was sent in with your Dads stuff then the damage done is minimal.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Hi

Thanks for your helpful replies and advice. I shall definitely follow this up and let you know how I get on.

Fortunately I get on quite well with my Dad, but I would rather he had not known how much debt I am in.

In answer to Deb T, about our names. Apart from the surname our names our different and they are shown as different named on the report. The only way I can think that our credit files could have become linked is that I think my Dad acted as guarantor on a credit card I had when I was 18, which was 20 years ago! But how that would link all my other credit cards/loans I don't know.

It is quite comical that a Credit Reference Agency could give my entire credit history to a third party, who has signed up to their ID Theft Protection. Anyway, I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

My guess is that an alias was added at some point, that would explain your full information being on his file and most likely vice-versa.