clarification of default notice and default on credit file

BARFLY
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5261 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

is it correct that a default notice and a default on a credit file are un related? that a creditor can default an account with the cras without issuing a default notice? that a default notice is basically a first step toward enforcement and nothing more? and in an attempt to remove a default from a credit file it would not matter that a debtor had not received a default notice?

Edited by BARFLY

Correct.

A default may be recorded with the CRAs when you have missed a number of payments (it varies according to the creditor).

A default notice is issued under consumer credit legislation and is a legally required precursor to enforcement.

They are not the same thing.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

thanks madwoman.

so it would be fruitless asking either the OC or the CRAs to remove a default from a credit file on the basis that you hadn't received a default notice? my situation is that the OC recorded a default on my credit file six weeks before they actually sent me a DN. When i discovered this i thought there might be a chance that i could have the default removed but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Apart from CRA entries being notoriously difficult to remove, I think you're on a loser on this one. Presumably the default was entered on your credit reference file when you got a certain number of payments in arrears - and it doesn't have to be whole payments either. The creditor then issued a default notice some time later whenever the terms of the agreement permitted it, or alternatively when they decided they'd waited long enough for you to pay up.

It's not unknown for creditors to deliberately hold off issuing a default notice if they think the customer will sort themselves out fairly quickly, or alternatively to forget to issue it, and then do it later when they start getting really stroppy.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.