• Tweets

• The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Financial ombudsman comes under fire as insider reveals litany of bad practices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My sentiments exactly. The staff at the FOS just don't seen to examine all the fact and data before making any sort of decision. I wonder why we don't all get to gether and make an "on mass" complaint about this seeming incompetent organisation. However, who who we complain to!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OH's complaint was made to the Financial Ombudsman in July 2008. Since then they have managed to "lose" to packages of documents despite agreeing that they have been received and signed for.

A further letter received from them in December 2009 advised they had "lost" more information. Although they soon found it when I suggested a formal complaint would be made due to their incompetence.

I am just about to send an email asking if OH's complaint is now being addressed or has it been put to the bottom of someone's in tray for a further 18 months.

They were made aware last year that the bank being complained about had threatened legal action and implied that they do not have to wait for the Ombudsman !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

snap citizen they have lost some very important doc of mine concerning the default and the Hfo documents gggrrr what a bunch...i think i read somewhere that the staff they are mostly self employed ?

:D Hmmm, I wonder why.. would you employ them :rolleyes::D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you are unhappy with the way in which the Ombudsman is dealing with, or the time taken to deal with your complaint. Then please :

Read the sticky in the following link and make a complaint to the Independant Assessor.

The Financial Ombudsman - from Wikipedia

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...t-2719994.html

The Independent Assessor reports formally to the board of the Financial Ombudsman Service - which publishes his report in full each year as part of the Financial Ombudsman Service's annual review [43][44][45][46][47][48].

Mr Barnes' track record so far is to uphold in part or fully between 10-15% of complaints about the ombudsman's service quality.

read the links in the quote above. The address is in link 40

Address for Independant Assessor

BCOBS

Be aware that if you make a complaint to the Service Review Team whilst your complaint to the FOS is still being considered, everything gets put on hold whilst they deal with that.

If delay is already an issue, it might be best to wait until your complaint to the FOS is resolved before making a complaint about the FOS. You have to go through the procedure with the Service Review Team before involving the independent assessor.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Be aware that if you make a complaint to the Service Review Team whilst your complaint to the FOS is still being considered, everything gets put on hold whilst they deal with that.

If delay is already an issue, it might be best to wait until your complaint to the FOS is resolved before making a complaint about the FOS. You have to go through the procedure with the Service Review Team before involving the independent assessor.

Ok, thanks for this information RMW :D

BCOBS

Putting your complaint to the FOS on hold whilst they investigate a complaint about the FOS sort of makes sense I suppose, but I do think they ought to make it clear that this will happen, rather than letting you find out when they've been investigating for three months.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

When i complained tothe FOS about Capital One they said they (the FOS) received the reply in time, although Capital One had sent MY copy to my old address, where I hadn't lived for 18 months at that point. They refused to reopen the case from that point and said as I hadn't complained there was nothing they could do.... I couldn't complain as I hadn't had Capital Ones lying letter..... complete idiots.

Edited by sillygirl1
missed a bit

Must admit had the same problem with the FOS and ICO, who readily accepted that a creditor could send a modern day agreement - in place of the "executed agreement" as signed on application and outlined in s78(1).

From my experience about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I would imagine the only instance where you would get a ruling your favour would be if the banks seriously stepped out of line.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

i have four different fso people all hanling the same complaint sorry five of them..1st 2006..2.nd 2006...3rd.2007...4th..2008..5th. 2009..

wot a bunch of no hopers ime just as stupid for beleiving they would actually do something...doh

• 2 weeks later...
If you are unhappy with the way in which the Ombudsman is dealing with, or the time taken to deal with your complaint. Then please :

Read the sticky in the following link and make a complaint to the Independant Assessor.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...t-2719994.html

read the links in the quote above. The address is in link 40

Address for Independant Assessor

Don't bother with him either, he is just as bad (and so "Independant" he is appointed by the FOS board.

FOS has

1. re written the frase "The Truth The Whole Truth and Nothing But the truth"

regarding a PPI although I was not given all the choices literature was sent to me regarding this option therefore allowing me to make an informed decision. :eek:

2. Allowed my bank to do a complete "U" turn on the main issue just by saying it was a mistake. :-?

3. Failed to advise me when 2 happened Despite the IA's recommendations that the consumer must be advised when new or amended evidence is produced. :evil:

4. Stated that due to lack of evidence from the bank they had no alternative but to decide on the likelyhood of a mis-sale and found that it would not have happened. They then publish figures showing that the bank in question had mis-sold PPI on 86% of the complaints they had received. :Cry::evil: :?

I complain to the ombudsman's complaints service they say that complaint has been dealt with correctly.

I then complain to the so called "Independant" Assessor who says he can only deal with administrative errors and can not decide if their conclusion is right or wrong. I send in the above plus one of the cases on the FOS website where the consumer had received a much higher level of service than i had reveived but still he says nothing wrong.

I then look at the reports of the assessor given on FOS website. Strangely where he gives a breakdown of complaints etc. and it says he received X amount of complaints of which Y were upheld for amounts ranging from £1 to £500.

So it would appear that when FOS do screw up, they NEVER screw up on cases worth more than £500. :-? :-? :-?

Yea Right :roll:

edit: Sorry I forgot to mention my complaint involved an amount of around £8,000.

Edited by rdm2006

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

A LETTER RECEIVED YEST REF HSBC

THANK YOU FORN YR LETTER OF 23JAN

FINALLY I NOTE THE CLOSING COMMENT IN YR RECENT LETTER , HOWEVER OOPS I PUT THAT THEY ARE BIASED AND IN FAVOUR OF THE VERY BANKS THAT FUND THEM , AND MERELY PUPPETS I WOULD CLARIFY THAT THE ROLE OF THIS SERVICE IS NOT TO REGULATE THE BANKS , I AM THEREFORE UNABLE TO COMMENT FURTHER IN THIS REGARD .

IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THE OUTCOME BLA BLA

AFTER 23 YRS WITH HSBC THEY MANAGE TO REVEIW ALL MY COMPLAINTS WITHIN A VERY SHORT SPACE OF TIME AND SAY THEY HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY ABOVE BOARD

YER RIGHTO MATE

FOR GODS SAKE SOMEONE TURN SOUTH QUAY PLAZA INTO A MUSEUM ,HOTEL,THEY ARE SITTING ON A FEW QUIDS WORTH THERE

OR A HOME FOR THE POOR /HOMELESS

I WONDER IF ITS LEASED ,OWNED ETC AND BY WHOM

Edited by charley2212

I know a lot of people are angry with Parliament at the moment but MPs and candidates are all fighting for seats in the run up to the election. Get political, go and see all the candidates in your area and tell them about your experiences. I certainly am. Tell them you don't think the FOS is fit for purpose and while you're at it ask how much funding is coming to their parties from insurance companies & banks etc. SJ :-x

• 3 weeks later...

I see mention in the forum of FOS interest rate calculations etc. Basically FOS often do not check firms calculations properly, if at all, especially if the firm has made an offer. See below my evidence to the Hunt Review of the FOS.

"It is FOS policy that firms which submit offers of compensation are treated differently from those which do not make an offer. Few ordinary people will be able to understand this. This policy is not made known to claimants so far as I know, yet the professional claims managers at the firms are well aware of it. All the firms must know that if they submit an offer there is a good chance that the FOS will not check the calculations, nor will the offer be compared with the FOS in-house guidelines. In the light of this, a good tactical move would be to submit a low offer and hope the FOS lets it though without checking.

A good example of the use of this policy by a firm is in the case of my Aunt. The firm proposed a reasonable offer and backed it up with its own calculations. FOS said fine, it looks reasonable, we don't need to check it. In fact the interest rate used was not reasonable ( a higher rate was available anywhere and it was 1% below the FOS recommended figure) and a tax error was not noticed resulting in an underpayment of £8000. But because the offer met the FOS's requirements to be allowed though without checking, it got though the net.

I know this is definite FOS policy, I have it in writing from the Service Review Team and the Independent Assessor. It is a deeply flawed policy, unfair to claimants and biased in favour of firms. FOS should review this policy."

To read more and see what really happens when you go to the FOS please see my full evidence to the Hunt Review at

www.financial-ombudsman-problems.co.uk

• Haha 1

good post auntie , the fos are a total waste of time , they pay lip service to the media with their results tables etc

i have a few cases with em at the mo , bc cap 1 and hsbc only received responses ref my hsbc claim and then they have totally confused the situation by splitting the claim up just to confuse even more , and so far they agree with hsbc , after 23 yrs of being with them they have managed to investigate in five mins .

• 2 weeks later...

i can vouch for the FOS's bad decisions, i've been a victim of theirs for many claims and have lost thousands as a result of their 'set in stone' biased decisions, to which the banks always refer to.

how do I launch an investigation by independant assesor into a claim that has taken nearly 3 years???

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

We had a complaint against Firstplus and we were intially offered £100 compensation for harassment for a arrears which we did not have. Firstplus kindly or by accident sent me the letter that had been sent to Firstplus and the adjudicator clearly sided with Firstplus. We refused the £100 and advised that we wanted the issue escalated to an ombudsman at which point we were contacted by the adjudicator adn a new offer of £300 was presented. We then accepted this.

The point being is that if we had not objected FOS would have closed the case in favour of Firstplus! This was also pointed out to the adjudicator.

my three complaints with FOS go back as far as 2006 and nothing has happened cept to say they have lost some very important documents ? so i am about to esculate my complaint you will get the omsbudsman address of the FOS website..

patrickq1

how do I launch an investigation by independant assesor into a claim that has taken nearly 3 years???

You need to escalate the case to the Service Review Team and then the Independant Assessor (who isn't really that independant).

But either cannot change the Adjudicator/Ombudsman decision but only look at the service you have received, even if you say the service was biased etc.

i truthfully cant see the point in complaining to the FOS the only complaint that needs be made is to some other authority that the FOS are unfit for purpose ..i wonder if trading standards would look at it lol or even the FSA o FSA wont as they only deal with Major complaints it helps them waste goverment money our taxes...so newspapers are the only ones this way the FOS may be forced to act in a fit and proper manner

i truthfully cant see the point in complaining to the FOS the only complaint that needs be made is to some other authority that the FOS are unfit for purpose ..i wonder if trading standards would look at it lol or even the FSA o FSA wont as they only deal with Major complaints it helps them waste goverment money our taxes...so newspapers are the only ones this way the FOS may be forced to act in a fit and proper manner

yes i agree patricq1 , would be nice to do a petition and send or present this to them cag oscar

Have I read somewhere that FOS is now under the umbrella of the FSA and there were talks of that being reversed FSA under FOS (God forbid that one)

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.