• Tweets

• FINAL UPDATE.  I have not posted as the defence were reading the thread.  An agreement was reached on the day of the hearing.   I am unable to go into detail but for those in this position the forum has been priceless support and advice so thank you all in the site team.   for those going through this, follow the process, ignore intimidating tactics and threats and get to the Judge.  They are very supporting of those self representing.   I note her name has gone from the heading of the thread.  Was this them ?  Thanks again.  
    • I'm not sure what the "appeal" system asked but he said he definitely didn't indicate he was the driver so I'm just going to have to take his word for it. Honestly, I don't think the hirer will contact them. I think my brother will tolerate it. I did have a similar experience with another company 6-7 years ago and sought advice on here then to which you guys told me to ignore, I got the exact same DRP letters and then a "Gladstones Solicitor" letter.  After that nothing happened and it died away. Based on my experience with that I assumed the same would happen here but only asked to see if perhaps anything had changed since then.    Hopefully it doesn't get to court but if it did, I feel like we have enough evidence to sway a judge who probably hates dealing with this type of nonsense anyway. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. 
    • Your attachment showing the cinema parking restrictions seems crystal clear. Let's see what the photos turn up.
    • Meter certification periods re given in The Meters (Certification) Regulations 1998, Schedule 4. From there you can check if they are correct about your specific meter .. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1566/schedule/4 If they're telling porkies then you have e clear grounds to tell them to take  hike. If they're correct or if you haven't been able to confirm then you have  few options. You could just keep fobbing them off. In general Octopus can't keep up with demand for smart meters. It took 9 months to get our. So they may not push too hard. Or ask if you can install your own choice of meter. The Electricity Act 1989 cover this in Schedule 7 (2) and (2A) https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7 Or fight the them and their enforcement. Or go off supply.
    • We received a copy of the completed Directions Questionnaire (N181) from the solicitors along with a draft copy of their directions. I am on a course today so can upload over the weekend if needed. By 4pm on 16th May both parties must each give standard disclosure of documents by way of list by category. By 4pm on 30th May any request for inspection or copies of docs must be made and compiled 14 days thereafter. I will provide more over the weekend.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Smile Loan - invalid DN & termination?

mkb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have a smile loan with PPI. Realised that PPI was mis-sold so claimed back but now with FOS to decide.

In the meantime I have not paid the monthly instalment & have had to go onto income support.

Got a letter dated 03/11/09 which I think is their effort at a Default Notice

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9246/smile1j.jpg

followed by letter dated 17/11/09

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9273/smile2.jpg

then today got Termination Notice dated 18/11/09.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7985/smile3n.jpg

Sooo

• No DN as required by law
  • TN on back of invalid DN
  • Mis-sold PPI

I think I'm in a mighty strong position here but as always, would appreciate your opinions ;)

When (not if!!) the FOS find in my favour re PPI, will the entire refund be payable to me since there is now no a/c for them to credit seeing as they have terminated it?

As they have terminated unlawfully, the most I would owe would be £365.13 - yes?

Should I write to them accepting the termination or do nothing?

Should I be doing ANYTHING at all or simply waiting for their next move?

Edited by mkb

Hi,

Right, well you are correct in thinking that the first one dated 3/11/2009 is NOT a proper default notice.

This is a legal requirement that came in with the last lot of tampering with the regulations. They must as they say in their letter... sent you one of these at least every 6 months.

The 2nd one dated 17/11/2009 - Well to be sure, I am not quite certain what they are trying to achieve. They havent given you any time to remedy the breach have they ? It most certainly isnt a Default Notice as required in order for them to take the next step... :oops:

The third one is as you rightly suggest a Termination notice.

Chances are that when the FOS get around to sorting our your PPI claim, SMILE will just credit to your account, terminated or not:eek:

I am not certain what steps you need to take in respect of this.

diddydicky appears to be pretty up to date with procedures re termination of accounts.. perhaps you could track him down. :)

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The following information was provided by andyorch. Dont know whether it explains things a bit better than I have done for you. I have highlighted a section in blue toward the bottom of the post. It would seem to me that SMILE kind of missed out a fairly important part of the process.. :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/161927-amendments-default-notices-cca.html#post1736169

A new amendment has been made in case of failure to give notice of sums in arrears in CCA 1974. Section 11 CCA 2006 inserts a new section - 86D - that sets out the consequences for a creditor or owner if he fails to give a notice as required by sections 86B or 86C.

If the creditor or owner fails to provide a notice of sums in arrears when required to do so, then during the period of his failure to provide the notice (i.e. from the date that it was required to be given until the end of the day on which it is eventually provided), he is not entitled to enforce the agreement. In addition,

The debtor or hirer is not liable to pay any interest that relates to the period of the creditor or owner’s failure,

Notice of default sums

Section 12 of CCA 2006 applies to situations where a debtor or hirer under a regulated agreement incurs a default sum.

A creditor or owner must give the debtor or hirer a notice in the specified form when a default sum becomes payable as a consequence of a breach of the agreement. For example, you hire a car for the duration of your holiday. There will often be a penalty sum payable if you incur a fine from using the car. The car-hire company might say this is to cover, for example, administration charges. Either way, certain sums are payable if you breach the agreement. Where this applies, the creditor must provide notice to the debtor, of the amount they must pay. This only applies where the default sum exceeds a specified amount.

Additionally, a creditor may only require a debtor to pay interest (in connection with a default sum) 28 days after the day the notice was given to the debtor. So if the creditor fails to give notice to the debtor then he can not enforce the agreement until notice is given.

“Default sum”

The term ‘default sum’ has been redefined in s.18 CCA 2006.“Default sum” now means: a sum payable by a debtor or hirer in connection with his breach of a regulated agreement (e.g. a charge imposed for late payment of an instalment due under the agreement or a fee imposed for exceeding a credit limit on a credit card). A default sum does not include sums that, as a consequence of a breach of the agreement, become payable earlier than they otherwise would have done. Nor does it include interest.

Interest on default sums

Section 13 has been amended so that a creditor or owner may only require simple interest to be paid in respect of default sums payable by the debtor or hirer. This includes sums payable under non-commercial or small agreements.

Minimum 14 days after Default notices

The new minimum period after which a creditor or owner may take action (in respect of the agreement after having issued a default notice) is now 14 days. It used to be only 7 days. Section 14 CCA 2006amends section 88 of the 1974 Act to create this extension.

Additionally, under s87, a creditor or owner must give the debtor or hirer a default notice in the prescribed form if he wishes to:

- terminate the agreement;

- demand earlier payment of a sum;

- recover possession of any goods or land;

- treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred; or to

- enforce any security

Section 88 is also amended to allow the Secretary of State to prescribe information in the default notice to include any matters relating to the agreement (e.g. information about whether the agreement includes a term providing for the charging of post-judgment interest).

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

hi, well if the first letter was meant to be a DN , aren't you the lucky one!!

i would immediately fire off a SAR and then sit tight and do or say nothing you dont have to until you get the sar back

make sure you use the full sar request including the communications logs

make sure you send it recorded and keep all letters and envelopes.

you may have to wait up to 40 days but you really do need to see if that first letter was their attempt at a DN or if there is another one recorded that you have not received

in the ,meantime. leave it a week or so then write confirming that you accept that the agreement has been terminated by them and saying you have an appointment with a solicitor on XXXX date ( make it about 3 weeks hence) therefore you would be obliged if they would wait 28 days for a response

by which time hopefully the sar will be back

Thanks dd, will get SAR off tomorrow :D

Did have a little chuckle when I saw their effort tho ;)

yes if that it is- but there is a gap betwen the 3rd and 17th so we need to make sure nothing is in that gap before we celebrate- although if there is anything in there it would not have given you sufficient time to remedy

• 2 weeks later...

Well you've just got to laugh at this lot :D

Termination Notice dated 18/11/09 followed today by.............

a Default Notice!!!!!!

DN dated 1st Dec for remedy by 15th & sent UK Mail - I KNOW this is totally invalid but it also makes a mockery of the fact that they terminated the A/C & they think that the great British public are so stupid that we will comply!!

Sadly, there are probably people out there who would pay up in line with the DN but thanks to CAG who have helped me learn my rights, I'm no longer one of them :D

Can't wait for my SAR to come back ;)

Like notice the significant fact that they terminated before sending the default notice - pre-CAG, they would have gotten away with that :eek:

SAR 40 days are not up til 5th Jan allowing exactly 40 days but should I be allowing extra days cos of Christmas & New Year bank holidays?

Well you've just got to laugh at this lot :D

Termination Notice dated 18/11/09 followed today by.............

a Default Notice!!!!!!

DN dated 1st Dec for remedy by 15th & sent UK Mail - I KNOW this is totally invalid but it also makes a mockery of the fact that they terminated the A/C & they think that the great British public are so stupid that we will comply!!

Sadly, there are probably people out there who would pay up in line with the DN but thanks to CAG who have helped me learn my rights, I'm no longer one of them :D

Can't wait for my SAR to come back ;)

Woohoo, fantastic.. Dont you just love it when a plan comes together:D

BCOBS

Like notice the significant fact that they terminated before sending the default notice - pre-CAG, they would have gotten away with that :eek:

SAR 40 days are not up til 5th Jan allowing exactly 40 days but should I be allowing extra days cos of Christmas & New Year bank holidays?

yes, but you may still get it before xmas

Thanks DD but on filing their latest missive, I realised that I hadn't sent the £10 :eek:

I guess I just need to wait for them to ask for it then start the 40 days all over again :mad:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I think I'm a happy bunny! :D

Got my SAR info back today which is remarkably thin :eek:

SAR confirms that a TN was sent on 17/11/09

smiletnfromsar.png

Followed by DN on 01/12/09

smilednfromsar.png

So, they can only claim arrears, yes? What then happens about my PPI complaint which is currently with FOS?

Out of interest, here are the copies of said DN & TN which I presume they would use & mock up the info if this ever went to court!! I've only scanned the front page of each as I think this gives us the gist of it.

smilecopydnfromsar.png

smilecopytnfromsar.png

you lucky sod!

first you get a TN followed by a DN

then you get a free SAR in double quick time

i would buy a lottery ticket this week if i were you (and remember who told you to:D)

if you sent the acceptance of termination off i would now file that one and do absolutely nothing

who knows, you may get some more dn's and tns

's

Hi dd

Thank you soooooooo much :D

Any ideas about the PPI refund due though? I have paid more PPI than is overdue on the loan so there will be a surplus which of course co-op will want to keep!

I did send the acceptance & now keeping tabs on truecall of the number of calls they're making as well ;)

And, for the record, if ever I bought a lottery ticket & it won (ha bloomin' ha!!), of couse I would share x

Hiya MKB,

Carry on fighting for the PPI and I would inform the FOS that they have terminated the account before issuing a Default Notice.

Send The FOS copies of all the docs you have posted here and state that under the circumstances any PPI refund is due to you and not the Co-op.

Well Done Oh and can I walk in your shoes lol

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.