What do I do?

irishboy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5229 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I have just received today two statements of accounts from Aktiv Kapital for debts relating to two Barclay cards. The first is for £6625.44 and the second for £9689.10. The date of agreements on both is 15/05/1995.

I defaulted on both accounts around 1998 and have not made payments since.

I also received in the same bundle of post a letter from ccs collect stating

"Our client Aktiv Capital have authorised us to recover the full amount you owe to them as shown above (£9689.10). This is a formal notice of intended court action. We may take this action if you failto pay the total amount outstanding within 7 days.

This problem will not go away and we intend to recover the full amount you owe without delay"

I have not made any payments and not acknowledged any correspondance with regards to these debts.

The letter from ccs only relates to the second credit card.

Do I need to pay or would they be considered as time barred?

I have lived in Scotland since 1996 although when I took out the credit cards I lived in Northern Ireland.

Many Thanks

statute barred

just a phishing letter

totally ignore them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just received a letter today from a company called meritforce.

They say that they have been instructed by Mackenzie Hall to collect a debt relating to the first credit card mentioned and that they will be calling at my house within 10 days.

What do I do or tell them when/if they come?

If I speak to them does that mean the debt can be reinstated if it is time barred?

Hi All

They say that they have been instructed by Mackenzie Hall to collect a debt relating to the first credit card mentioned and that they will be calling at my house within 10 days.

If I speak to them does that mean the debt can be reinstated if it is time barred?

If you mention those two companies in the same sentence its is almost always statute barred. Once a debt is statute barred they can send Bugs Bunny or even the Chuckle Brothers round if they like, it still wont unbar it - it cannot be done.

DeMerrit have never come to my house. Personally I would just ignore or e-mail the the SB letter from the templates

you are just on a phishing list

ignore totally

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi All

let them come to the door,ask them for their id and write the details down on a notepad - then tell them the debts are statute barred and ask them if they are aware of the consequences of harrasing your for statute barred debts

then ask them politely to leave and not return

I had a capital credit card back in 2002 and have had no contact since 2003. I keep getting letters from every tom dick and harry saying that i owe them money. The first it was Active Capital then it was merit force. I received a little white card today from meritforce. stating the following ........................................................................................................ MERITFORCE DEBT RECOVERY LTDDATE xxxxxxFOR THE IMMEDIATE ATTENTION OF:MR xxxxxxxFINAL NOTICEPLEASE CALL MR WEAVERMOBILE NUMBERWITHIN 48 HOURS TO PREVENT LEGAL ACTION AND / OR BAILIFF RECOVERYTHIS WILL BE YOUR FINAL CHANCE TO DISCUSS THIS MATTER PRIOR TO ANY LEGAL PROCEEDINGS.........................................................................................................Who is this company, who the bloody hell is this bloke asking me to call his mobile.?????The date on the card is 2/12 and it was sent by second class mail. today is the 4/12 . My 48 hrs have passed should i be bricking it????regards

1)For starters it sounds like they sent it just as a postcard type affair with no envelope? That's a huge no-no.

2) if you've not paid/acknowledged since '03 it is either already or shortly will be statute barred and they can do diddly squat.

3) anything that really does require immediate attention will not be sent 2nd class with a two day time limit.

4) they can't send the bailiffs in without going to court first so that's an empty threat

5)Well there is no five tbh, but the other 4 are quite enough to be getting on with:)

This is another phishing attempt. It seems that the closer you get to a debt being statute barred the more threatening and desperate their attempts become to collect.

You'd be amazed how many 'FINAL NOTICE' letters we've had which are followed a few weeks later by 'we would like to offer you 10% off your debt if you pay now', or 'please would you contact us to discuss this matter'.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

Hi All

Don't be too bothered by this. Firstly it probably won't happen.

Secondly if someone does call they have no authority whatsoever. You can entertain them - and be entertained by them if you wish. I would hope they call just at the point where your daughter is rehearsing her role in the nativity play and you can ask them to stop and watch - it will naturally take many hours to get right. Of course they wouldn't be so rude as to decline the invitation would they.

Alternatively you could be ill and need some work done around the house - cleaning the toilet is the obvious one. Or perhaps climbing on the roof to adjust the TV aerial (oh, it doesn't seem to have much effect ... aah, I forgot, we're on cable now).

etc.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

The faulty hearing aid trick is a nice one as well.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)