Moving from a longterm tenancy, what's reasonable to suggest regarding 'wear and tear'?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4194 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm just looking for advice as over the next few days I'm moving into a new property out from a long term (7 years) in the same property, I'm going to give my current landlord notice soon and I'm really just wondering if what I am going to propose to the landlord is fair.

The property was sold as furnished, now many of the items are old (20+ years) for example the oven and fridge, and in some ways while still functional are damaged to the extent that while they are still usable some adjustments in how they are used is required, I would put this down to general wear and tear as to being a tenant so long and anything that has been damaged beyond use I have replaced at my own expense.

There were also some problems in the bathroom with leaks that have lead to problems with the wallcoverings, the landlord has inspected the property several times and this has not been raised by either of us an an issue as they are purely cosmetic and no consequence to me but wondering if the landlord will bring them up.

I am going to offer my landlord the full notice period and suggest they can keep the deposit to help with many of the issues with the furniture and fixtures and fittings, with the full notice period its likely I will only be in the property for 1 out of the required 4 weeks, so the landlord would have plenty of time to correct the problems.

Does anyone have any experience after long term tenancies what could be defined as wear and tear? Particularly from any landlords or anyone with experience does what I am suggesting sound reasonable?

Nothing you have said sounds like it is your responsibility. The deposit would cover things that you have damaged through misuse or carelessness. But even if you damaged a 20 year-old fridge, the landlord could not claim a brand new fridge. I would start from the basis that you should not pay anything if you have not been reckless, and start by asking your landlord what he thinks. Landlords of furnished properties can opt to keep 10% of the rent tax free in reflection of an expected contribution to replacing and repairing the furnishings. I expect your landlord has benefited nicely from this so far.

Similar opinions to Steve_M.

When you moved in, the 13 year old fridge had a value of -£0, it was already past it's life expectancy and so now it is 20 years old the LL can not expect it to work - he should have replaced it out of his own funds at least a decade ago!

Lets go to the other extreme.

Imagine, when you moved in, the LL had just fitted a brand-new good quality carpet in the lounge, costing (then) £500. The life expectancy of such a carpet is, say, 10 years. So it should still be serviceable, but look like a 7 year old carpet. If it's not serviceable, and you had managed to trash it before it's time then you would be expected to pay for it's value - not £500 (thats the value of a new one) but £150, which is the value of the 3 years of carpet that the landlord has lost.

Apply these rules to everything in the house that is your responsibility. The 2nd rule can be simplified by this:

A. Cost of item

B. Life Expectancy

C. Age

a / b multiplied by b-c