La Redoute - I owe them money (apparently!)

katya_1978
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a call from a debt collection company yesterday saying that La Redoute had passed the account to them as I owed them £35ish. First I'd heard of it! So i checked my emails and the last order I placed with them was for some ballet shoes back in april '08 which I paid for up front.

So I gave them a call and they told me that they had added some sort of service called something like 0800 HELP ME which is an assistance service for if I have my bag nicked or lock myself out. They said that I would have had a phone call from them at which time I would have verbally authorised them to add it to my account, I have no recollection of ever having this conversation. They also said that they would have sent me out the paperwork to my address which they would have confirmed with me at the time, clearly they couldn't have as they have the wrong address for me! I challenged them as to why they hadn't emailed me regarding the matter and they said they had done - the last email I have from them is a marketing one from xmas last year.

As it stands they say they will investigate and get back to me.

What is the law regarding these cold calls? I don't think I ever received this call but if indeed I did and just can't remember can they charge me for something that I never signed for? Is a verbal agreement binding? And the fact that I never received any paperwork for the service smacks of either underhandedness or sheer stupidity.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's up to them to prove that you agreed to whatever it is they say you bought, not for you to disprove it. Unless they provide proof, ignore them.

PS Standard advice is don't discuss these things on the phone - you have no way of proving what may or may not have been agreed with this debt collection company and it is far to easy for them to bully you on the phone. If they call you back insist that everything now be in writing.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

You need to send our 'Prove it' here :-

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

If you get any more hassle from them, send this SAR and find out all the information they have on you :-

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/576-subject-access-request-debt-a-dca

Hope this helps,

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks tonnes for your replies, I have now had a letter from La Redoute saying that they still insist that I agreed to this but as a gesture of goodwill they are prepared to cancel the "debt" and clean any negative credit scoring that may have been incurred. I did think about arguing my case as a matter of principal but really don't have the time or energy.