Does rent income affect JSA ?

andydd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently get CB-JSA, and this is my only income, I also get Council Tax Benefit, Mortgage Interest and some Housing Costs (towards servive charges).

I'm curious as to how the above would be affected if I took in a lodger ?. The income I receive would be approx £300 per month.

As I'm due to switch to IB-JSA soon so lets base any answers on that.

Its unclear on how much income I can get and it's affect on the above benefits.

Any help or pointers would be gratefully accepted.

So far as I am aware, any income will reduce income based benefits, but I think exactly how much will depend on your circumstances.

There are a number of benefit calculators available online - you could try one of those - or CAB will do a 'what if' calculation for you.

Do not consider doing this without advice as to whether it's 'legal', but you might be better off if the lodger is counted as a 'non-dependent' rather than counting the rent as income.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

So far as I am aware, any income will reduce income based benefits, but I think exactly how much will depend on your circumstances.

There are a number of benefit calculators available online - you could try one of those - or CAB will do a 'what if' calculation for you.

Do not consider doing this without advice as to whether it's 'legal', but you might be better off if the lodger is counted as a 'non-dependent' rather than counting the rent as income.

I am curious to know how a lodger would be counted as a non dependant ?

I don't know if it's possible, which is why I told the OP to seek advice first but my son's girlfriend is staying with us at the moment, not a member of the family so presumably a sort of lodger, but she is counted as a non-dependant.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

A non dependent for the purposes of housing benefit/council tax benefit is a person who lives in your property on a non commercial basis, for example an adult child or a relative. If you have a "non dependent" living with you, the council will make non dependent deductions from your benefit.

In the case of a lodger, who is in the property on a commercial basis, the rent you receive from them will be added to your income. They usually disregard the first £20 per week and half the rest (but check this incase the rates have changed). So, if for example you received £50 per week board from a lodger, £15.00 per week would be considered extra income, because 50 - 20 = 30. And 30/2 = 15.

For the purposes of Income based JSA, income received from boarders are usually taken into account in full.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

A non dependent for the purposes of housing benefit/council tax benefit is a person who lives in your property on a non commercial basis, for example an adult child or a relative. If you have a "non dependent" living with you, the council will make non dependent deductions from your benefit.

In the case of a lodger, who is in the property on a commercial basis, the rent you receive from them will be added to your income. They usually disregard the first £20 per week and half the rest (but check this incase the rates have changed). So, if for example you received £50 per week board from a lodger, £15.00 per week would be considered extra income, because 50 - 20 = 30. And 30/2 = 15.

For the purposes of Income based JSA, income received from boarders are usually taken into account in full.

Well..I assume they would be non-dependant.

Could you clarify the last 2 paragraphs ? They seem to contradict each other. Would the income be taken account in full or using the minus first £20 calculation ?. Assuming its IB JSA.

Obviously if I'm not going to be any better off I won't bother with the lodger.

Anyone have any links to the online benefit calculators ?

Thanks

The second last paragraph relates to Housing Benefit. The last paragraph relates to Income Based JSA.

It sounds like the person would be classified as a lodger rather than a non dependent as they would be paying you board, not living there rent free.

The online calculator is here: Start Calculation

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

The second last paragraph relates to Housing Benefit. The last paragraph relates to Income Based JSA.

It sounds like the person would be classified as a lodger rather than a non dependent as they would be paying you board, not living there rent free.

The online calculator is here: Start Calculation

Thanks.

Just came back to say I found the entitledto site.

Having had a play with it, it would appear that any extra money from rent would be taken off my JSA so basically i'd be worse off by having a lodger so i wont bother.

Andy