• Tweets

• Are these the important pages I need to upload ? 1.  pages 1-4 are court form 10a 2.  2 pages of the CCA agreement  3.  Default notice from NewDay, 22/02/20 4.   Lowell letter stating they own debt ,     Dated 16/11/20 5. Unheaded letter also dated 16/11/20 from NewDay saying they assigned “all of the respective rights etc,”  to Lowell on 23/10/20 I make this 9 relevant pages from what I can see   ( all other pages are statements/default notes and lots of FCA info sheets) just needing your confirmation in advance as I don’t want to send over pages that are not required thank you  UCM      
    • Just out of curiosity aesmith - are you a lawyer?
    • I spoke to a pro-bono entity this afternoon.  They advise I must initiate a claim in the court v the receiver if I want to then file an application for an order for sale.  I must have a claim/ proceedings to be able to force a sale. The judge in the current proceedings  has told me that I cannot force the lender to sell and the lender cannot interfere either.   If the receiver isn't acting correctly and isn't selling - this means I must make a claim against the receiver I could initiate a claim. Or much quicker  - the other entity - with a charge already - could use that to make an application for an order for sale.
    • Thanks Dave It's not too far away, about 8 or 9 miles, so I will probably venture over on my bike if I can't think of a good reason to drive there again! I'll have a chat with Mrs GB_Joe tomorrow and see which shops they visited, I know M&S was on the list (had to try on multiple sets of trousers!) and they are actually in that bit of retail park. The uniform shop is across the way in the Meridian Centre, so probably not helpful to get them involved.
    • As they have failed to deliver their original PCN you will need to send them an SAR where they should provide that PCN. It should show the address they used . If it is not your current one that would explain the non delivery. If it was correct then perhaps the Post office messed up. A more cynical view would be that UKPC didn't send it so that you couldn't claim the reduction. It appears that UKPC have been there for some time  but I have been unable to find any pictures of their Notices.The leisure park itself is pretty big so while some parts maybe give 5 hours free parking other parts may have restrictions like permits. I haven't been there for years -I went  to Nandos and the bowling centre . I am surprised that they are now infested with UKPC as the place is plenty big enough not to require their dubious services. If you live not to far away it would help if you could get some legible pictures of their signs. Be carful to park in an area that doesn't require a permit and take photos of the entrance signs, the five hour sign and the permit only sign as well as any other signs that are different from the previous signs. Also if their is a payment machine could you please photograph that.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bornrich v MBNA (Optima Legal)

bornrich
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening caggers,

I'm trying a different approach to get hold of my copy agreement.

Usual runaround trying to get a 'true copy' of agreement from MBNA, much the same as a lot of the threads on this board. That is up until now when Optima Legal appeared on the scene.

Quick history of my attempts to get documentation from MBNA:

30/6/09 – CCA request to RMA (NCO) DCA acting for MBNA at the time

13/7/09 – CCA request reminder sent again to RMA (NCO)

23/07-09 – DPA request sent to MBNA

7/9/09 – Account in dispute letter sent to MBNA/RMA

7/9/09 – Letter before action sent to Data Controller at MBNA – no response

8/10/09 – Letter to Gavin Theobald at MBNA – no response

12/10/09 – Final response letter received from MBNA about dispute

Then on the 8th October I received a 'Notice of Legal Action' letter from Optima Legal:

Letter from Optima Legal

Although the body of the letter was quite obviously a template letter with wooly threats of possible legal action I noticed that the letter was headed 'Notice of Legal Action'. So, reading around some of the excellent threads in CAG on CPR I decided to play this route to try and flush out my agreement.

I responded with this letter on the 14th October:

First letter to Optima Legal

And followed up on 13th November with the following to Optima Legal:

Second letter to Optima Legal

And I've also informed Optima's client (MBNA) of my intentions:

Letter to MBNA

Now I'm just going to wait to see what happens. I know this is a high risk strategy but I've had experience of MBNA sidestepping CCA requests and have also read many many threads saying the same.

What do other caggers think of this strategy? Is this a good approach? Or will I simply stir up a hornets nest of legal action?

Bornrich

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that there is a very good chance that MBNA do not have the original agreement as all are scanned onto microfiche your strategy is a good one.

As for Optima Legal they are the pits for a top 100 legal firm I have had very bad dealings with them and are in the process of bringing a claim of contempt to court

If you want some inside knowledge of Optima Legal have a read here from page 65.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/151709-help-65.html

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Thanks for the link PF. A nice long thread with some good info on Optima Legal there. Threads like these give me hope that I can win against these people – the fear of anything legal is diminished and you start to feel reassured by others' experiences and dealing with the very same issues/people/companies/solicitors etc.

Looking back I think the Internet is probably the greatest invention of all time. Closely followed by the explosion in information transparency that we're only just beginning to really understand. It means I can coble a response back to a solicitor that not only inconveniences them but challenges their arrogant disdain of the general public in these matters.

Thanks also for the address for the LCA who will be interested in Optima's threats and then not following through as well as failure complying with CPR, even if it is pre-case.

When (if) I get a response from Optima I will post it up. And if I don't I'll keep you posted as to my progress through the courts...

I'm going to reread the entire thread again tomorrow as it's a great read. This has really bolstered me up!

Bornrich

Bornrich you are welcome and what my thread shows is optima are no threat to u just follow court procedure yourself within the time scales given and optima will start messing up the case and no doubt big time like mine good luck PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes,

Letter in today from the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) saying thank you for all the hard copies of correspondence and that the case would be allocated to a case worker soon. (I sent hard copies so the case worker has everything he or she needs.)

The Legal Complaints Service (LCS) has passed it to the SRA because I'm complaining about the conduct of a solicitor instructed by someone else.

Actually that's a point. If anyone out there wishes to do the same you might speed things up by going straight to the SRA (I'm not sure if the LCS have to refer the case though.)

Here's the address for the SRA:

Solicitors Regulation Authority

8 Dormer Place

Leamington Spa

Warwickshire

CV32 5AE

Solicitors Regulation Authority - For solicitors

I'm glad my complaint is being taken seriously by the LCS and now the SRA as I really do want to make sure that the special position solicitors hold in society isn't eroded by creditors asking them to threaten legal action without any intention of so doing.

This has nothing to do with causing problems for 1 particular solicitor and everything to do with ensuring that other people, who may be affected or distressed even, don't unjustifiably receive a threatening letter from a solicitor.

Allocation to a case worker can take up to 8 weeks. I'll keep you posted.

I've also complained about Green & Co solicitors (instructed by RBS). Complaint is slightly different but centres on whether Ms Green (and the SRA) is happy with how RBS are acting under her name and credentials (as a bogus firm of solicitors).

Bornrich

No Bornrich you did right all complaints to the SRA have to be sent via the LCS and they will forward it to SRA.

Pass as to why it has to be done this way though maybe it has something to do with them being third party sols.

Regards.

PF

bornrich,

But I am glad that you took the step of making a complaint to the SRA because I have also.

I wont go into the details of my complaint here but as you have read my thread I'm sure you know why.

Anyway with yours and mine about the same sols im sure the SRA will have a field day ;)

Regards

PF

But did you get any agreements?

LOL:lol::lol::lol:

Mmmmm

I sent a CCA request to RMA and got a copy of my letter back yesterday telling me to ask MBNA for it as they were only acting for them. I didn't get my £1 back and they reminded me to send another to MBNA.

Also today I recieved the very same letter from Optima as yours.

should I send the account in dispute letter to RMA?

Should I try for it with Optima?

also, where do the bank of America come into this?

is that anything to do with the securitization by RBS?

who owns who?

who do I actually, allegedly owe money to?

who can take action?

I'm confused.!

If my advice helped you please click my star

Series 3,

I wouldn't bother sending it to Optima. It seems they are only 'instructed' to send one threat-o-gram out in the hope that you will telephone MBNA.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this is standard procedure for MBNA when they know the agreement (if they find one) is unenforceable.

In which case I wonder what the point is? Are they hoping it will eventually grind us down?

With my own tussle their pseudo threat of legal action from a solicitor clearly hasn't worked, so, having exhausted all other collection attempts, they seem to be in listening mode. In fact, I'm much happier with the tone of this last letter and I'm considering making an offer based on the lender having an unenforceable agreement. My boy's young enough (2 yrs) not to miss the expensive toys this Christmas – a cardboard box with wheels drawn on will suffice.

So does any cagger know what would be a reasonable percentage to offer? Also, should the percentage be applied to the figure owed now or at the point when a default notice was sent?

Also how do I go about a Full & Final by letter, with safeguards so I can wrap the debt up for good.

Here's the latest letter received from MBNA:

MBNA being reasonable?

Bornrich

I have one of those from RBS offering me 25% off for full settlement (different CC)

or phone them for even more reductions....

I thought they were just being nice for xmas...

seeing as they can't give me a readable CCA and T&C I just file them.

Do you rekon I should send the account in dispute letter to RMA, they have the £! anyway..

Series3,

The response you got from rma is a load of bull, RMA are MBNA's inhouse DCA they work from the same office.

PF

Langster,

This is invaluable advice. I've drawn the SRA's attention to rule 1 and rule 10.1 of the Code of Conduct but this bit about the letter possibly contravening the Malicious Communications Act deserves a mention too as it reaches beyond the regulator's own guidelines. May give my complaint a little more clout.

I feel as though I should write to the SRA with these new concerns. Would it be okay if I paraphrased some of your response and included it in my letter to the SRA Langster?

Bornrich

**GULP**

Just read Point 4 of the Malicious whatsit Act

(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to [F8 imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both].

I don't want to cause this solicitor too much trouble. Just a ticking off perhaps and for the firm to think twice before sending any more threatening letters out. How's a 6-month gap in his CV going to look to prospective employers?

However, another side of me sees the pensioner opening a similar letter to mine, worried sick that she will lose her home.

It's one of those Dickensian moral dilemmas... I think I'll sleep on it.

Bornrich

Bornrich,

As you have probably read from my thread, as with regards to Optima Legal he is the man and gives out very good information.

So you are onto a winner there .

Nice to see him helping out other caggers with Optima issues.

Regards

PF

... and the great thing is I can apply the same knowledge to Green & Co with RBS who seem to think it okay to pass off their operation as a legit firm of solicitors.

Had the confirmation on that one from the SRA today so it's a few days behind the Optimorons complaint.

As for MBNA it seems their nice side has subsided to threats of legal action and a charge on my property. This time the letter was worded very carefully. Interesting.

Bornrich.

Indeed you can, be sure to check out my thread after the 14th Jan as that is the day for my N244 hearing and where I intend to nail optima,s toes to the floor.

Regards

PF

I think I'll report it...

I don't give a sh-t about a 6 month gap in their CV..

I don't take these threat o grams too seriously but the can cause

a fair amount of distress to some.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with MBNA and Optima.

I received a letter from Optima on Dec 2 which I responded to and offered to pay a token £1. On Dec 11 I received a reply. Since I haven't got access to a scanner I will rewrite it here:

Our Client:MBNA Europe Bank Ltd

Current balance xxx

We refer to the above matter and your letter 08/12/2009

We confirm that you should immediately commence making repayment by instalments of £1 per month.

Your first payment is due on23/12/2009 and each month on the same day thereafter to reduce the outstanding balance of debt. Please complete the attached standing order and send it to your bank, to take immediate effect.

Please ensure all future payments are made to Optima Legal rather than MBNA. Please find enclosed a returned cheque for £1 made payable to MBNA.

In addition, to protect its position, our client will also be seeking to secure the outstanding balance by obtaining a charging order against your property. This means that a charge will be registered against the property until such time as the property is sold or re-mortgaged or debt repaid in full. Until that time you should continue making the instalment repayments at the amount and frequency you have committed to.

We will commence court proceedings shortly to obtain the charging order.This will incur further costs which will be added to the debt, however no additional interest will be charged Once the charging order is obtained, our client will have the right to seek an order for sale of the property at any time.

Your financial situation will be subject to frequent reviews to assess whether the amount and the frequency of your repayments remain appropiate. Repayments should continue until your liability has been fully satisfied.

However in the meantime:

1 you sell or re-mortgage your property of

2 our client obtains an order for sale requiring the property to be sold:

our client will be entitled to be repaid the outstanding balance of debt at the time of sale, from any equity available from the property. If equtiy is not sufficient to cover the outstanding balance, you will remain liable for any shortfall.

We look forward to receiving your future payments under the repayment commitment you have made.

Yours faithfully,

Optima Legal

===

The letter is not signed and no solicitor has given his/her name although there is an email address with a name of a person at Optima Legal.

I am looking forward to see what you think and if I should file a complaint similar to the one you have filed.

Best regards

Tomten,

I think it's important you get clarification from Optima who actually 'owns' the debt here.

You have a situation where you try and set up a payment plan with the original creditor but are then told to pay Optima. And yet Optima state in their letter "In addition, to protect its [MBNA's] position, our client will also be seeking to secure the outstanding balance."

In the immortal words of Spock, that's illogical captain.

I'd write back and say you're all set up and ready to progress with the payment plan but request clarification on the above point.

Bornrich