Volume has no volume!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any techie help?

Got earphones stuck in the green slot, and the volume is rubbish. It's OK with some tunes, but with others it's painfully quiet.

The volume is on max on the headphones, and the system volume is on full on everything as far as I can tell.

I'm thinking (because it's youtube) that stuff gets uploaded at different volumes, but it must be something else because these things just won't turn up any further. :(

Please aid me in my quest to make loud noise happen. :D

The first acid test would be to post links to two of the videos you're trying to watch, one with the volume quiet, the other normal.

If they are different for others, it is the uploaded video. If not, it's a problem your end and we can go through it.

Cheers, Tezzo.

I'm listening to this at the mo and it doesn't need turning up:

Damnit, I've just gone to find the quiet vid and I can't find it now. Doesn't matter though.....it happens alot! Most are fine, but I'm still at max volume....says to me something is wrong. History, whilst I don't really understand it - isn't showing me either. I know I was suitably frustrated to post this though! Surely with what I think is a good PC/earphones I should be able to deafen oneself? At best it's just loud enough.

Headphones and your computers sound are both passive (no amplifier) if it is just low levels of recording, then you need something to amplify the sound. The easiest is a pair of powered speakers, get one with a headphone jack in it and you'll be all set.

If it is on a laptop, some have a volume on the keyboard. Make sure that is maxed, Also double click the speaker icon (right hand side of your task bar) and drag that to maximum level.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Headphones and your computers sound are both passive (no amplifier) Yep, with ya if it is just low levels of recording, then you need something to amplify the sound. The easiest is a pair of powered speakers, get one with a headphone jack in it and you'll be all set. I'm lost now!

If it is on a laptop, some have a volume on the keyboard. Make sure that is maxed, Also double click the speaker icon (right hand side of your task bar) and drag that to maximum level.

It's my PC....It's mostly fine and then kerpow......I can barely hear anything. It is you tube stuff, and I know it's the quality etc...but surely I should be able to turn up even cr*p quality? I'm maxed out (I have excellent hearing compounded by a dislike of things loud...so if I'm complaining it is all wrong!)

You know what chaps, it really must be the uploaded stuff because I'm clicking my YT links and they are loud enough (Just wish I could turn them up a tad more at times). The quiet ones are just rubbish uploads I suppose. Still can't find what I was listening to, or trying to...but when it happens again I suppose I'll just ignore it as a bad job.

Danke anyway. :D

Having said that it really is too bloody quiet? Realising what Locutus said, I may have to invest!

Get some amplified speakers Like these

pc_speakers.jpg

And you can plug the headphones into the socket at the front and the volume control will take the volume to a deafening level for ya :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

OK sold. Whilst I can't purchase anything tacky and white, I assume I can get them in black!

For the sake of this dumbass, what are they called exactly? 'Cos I'll end up buying the wrong thing...trust me! Amplifier speakers?

Edit: I'm thinking amplified speakers as you wrote..D'oh!

amplified speakers (but tesco/asda etc will just have them as PC speakers)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

If you are going to get yourself some speakers, I strongly recommend Logitech. They not only make some of the best PC speakers available at the high end, but even their low end stuff is extremely reliable.

You don't have to be quite the audiophile that Uncle Tez is (£230 sound card and £180 speakers!), but I do recommend you obtain at least a subwoofer set to vastly improve your audio experience when it comes to sounds in the lower frequency range. This is especially noticeable if you are gaming or watching films on your PC.

The cheapest Logitech 2.1 (2 speakers, 1 subwoofer) I know of can be found HERE, although your local Maplins or Currys will also carry these sets.

There's certainly a marked difference in the volume of the two linked videos you've given.

This is chiefly due to the quality of the two audio streams, but is further amplified - if you'll excuse the pun - by the fact that the first video is very bass heavy, giving the sensation of greater volume.

The second video is sonically very flat, without much variation across the frequency range. To put it another way, the base range and the upper range are all within a very small section of the total range of human hearing.

The first video, by contrast, sounds professionally recorded, with the quality kept reasonably high. On my equipment, the bass is nicely resonant (although a little over done), whilst the mid range and upper end treble are clear and distinct.

So, all in all, your problem with these two videos goes beyond the fact that one is simply recorded at a lesser volume than the other. Much more importantly, the quality, bitrate and range of the first is far superior than that of the second. Listening to those on cheap earphones must be horrible, but you will definitely notice a strong difference with even the cheaper end of amplified speakers, especially if you get a 2.1 set so have a subwoofer for the bass as well.

Oh, and on the subject of audio quality, some of you may be entertained by the field of Holophonics. A great place to start is HERE. Listen to the Virtual Haircut recording.

Note that these must be listened to with headphones, and prefereably good quality headphones with your eyes closed. Whilst you can play them with speakers, you'll get almost none of the auditory illusion.

Oh, and on the subject of audio quality, some of you may be entertained by the field of Holophonics. A great place to start is HERE. Listen to the Virtual Haircut recording.

Note that these must be listened to with headphones, and prefereably good quality headphones with your eyes closed. Whilst you can play them with speakers, you'll get almost none of the auditory illusion.

This is my party trick, courtesy of *cough* you!

Always goes against the lead balloon!

Laugh a minute it is, well, not a laugh as such...just always is the provider a good honest chortlage! (I expect prizes for making up such terms)

Hey...Luigi!!