Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • yes sorry i was confused that you had managed to get anything out of the administrators. we've not seen that and was surprised by it read that way.   your credit file is clear Conexus Recovery and Field Services Ltd - can be totally ignored. DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type and they are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..
    • An online news and information service for the UK’s commercial and consumer credit industry. View the full article
    • They are very nonsensical aren’t they? As far as I can tell they have no proof of ownership of debt whatsoever - it feels like they’re just hoping I cave in 🙈   I’ll get onto the CRA’s now - thank you 😊 
    • Thanks ...okay well as you are already aware you will get more sense out of your bin than talking to Arrow...so I would now escalate it by informing the Credit Reference agencies and submit a Notice of Correction ( each CRA has its own instruction's on how  to submit) and they will contact Arrow asking for details of the debt....if that fails you can contact the ICO (information Commissioner's Office) and raise a complaint re false data reporting.     See how you get on.
  • Our picks

    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
        • Like
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.
      I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.
      In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 
      In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.
      In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.
      To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.
      So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.
      Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!
        • Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3959 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I was hoping I coudl get some advise regarding my old landlord.


We moved out of his property because he was rubbish and are now dealing with many problems regarding the deposit.


The first, and perhaps most important problem, is that we have now discovered that he did not place our deposist into a tenancy deposit scheme as required by law. Or if he did at no point did he provide us with any details about it and w eonly disoceverd that he needed to after leaving.


This of course led to other problems: the main one being that has taken deposit money unfairly. He has charged us for repaintign all the walls (which were fine), replacing light bulbs that were never there, cleaners that apparantly charged £10 to clean an already clean sink etc. He has given us part of our deposut back but took over half of it for things like this.


There was also no inventory when we moved in other than a very basic one (ie there should be three chairs etc) on the tenancy aplication which was signed before moving in. It was mentioned to us on several ocasions that no washing machine was provided but if oenwas left by teh previous tenants we were free to use it so long as we understood the landlord would not pay to fix it or for any damages caused by it. There was one when we arrived and it was not mentioned on the closest thign to an inventory we had. Then when it broke we bought a new one and took it with us when he left. The landlrod has charges us for a new washing machine saying that as there wa sone when we arried there shoudl be oen we we left.


Now I know that I can use teh court to get my deposit back as he has both not used a tenancy deposit scheme and also use dteh deposit for things he cant use it for. My quesion is how do I do this? What form do I need? Should I ignore the unfair usage of the deposit and just claim for him not using a scheme? Also does it matter that the tenancy ended over 3 months ago?


We have already sent the landlord a letter of intent and not no reply. Any help is greatly appreciated.


Thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I have read that but still do not quite understand what to do.


Basically: do I ignore the unfair deductions and only focus on him not using a tenancy deposit scheme?


How much am i claiming back? Espeshially as he has already paid us some of the deposit back but not all.


What form do I need ot use and where do I get it from?


Also there were four of us in the flat so do we all need to do this or can I do it alone?


Also how much will making a claim cost me? I am a student and so may not be able to afford it if it is alot and that would suck!

Edited by Eternal109
Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to sue the LL through the small claims court for the remaining balance of your deposit. It is up to him to prove in court how much he should be allowed to keep - and without an inventory of the check-in condition he isn't going to be able to do that. This leaflet (http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex160a_web_0709.pdf) will tell you if you can have your court fees waived.


You can check with all 3 schemes by completing this form, they will usually respond within 3 days: www.snorkerz.com/deposit.html


You could try for the 3x compensation, but the costs are quite high and success is not guaranteed (if LL returns deposit or protects it some judges will not grant 3x). You could end up having to pay his court fees too.


You may wish to send him a letter along these lines...

Letter Before Action




RE: 123 High Street, Anytown, AT1 2AA


On the XXX of XXX 20XX I/We paid you a tenancy deposit of £XXX in respect of the above property.


The Housing Act 2004 introduced the concept of "Tenancy Deposit Protection" and obliges private landlords to protect/register all tenancy deposits with one of 3 approved schemes.


I/We have verified with all three schemes that the deposit you hold was NOT protected by any scheme. This is unlawful.


You must refund the outstanding balance of my/our deposit IN FULL within 14 days. If you fail to do so, I/we shall sue you for the balance due PLUS the statutory penalty for non-protection of deposits, which is three times the value of the deposit.


Yours sincerely

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
You could try for the 3x compensation, but the costs are quite high and success is not guaranteed (if LL returns deposit or protects it some judges will not grant 3x). You could end up having to pay his court fees too


Why would anyone end up paying for the LL court fees if the LL failed to protect the deposit? If the judge rules that only the deposit be returned to the T without the penalty of 3*deposit surely it's still a ruling in favour of the T! Am I mistaken somewhere?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Snorkerz is saying that if the LL returned the deposit in full or protected the deposit (without being ordered to by the Court) then the Judge may not find in favour of the tenant and the tenant may be liable for the LL's court costs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I think Snorkerz is saying that if the LL returned the deposit in full or protected the deposit (without being ordered to by the Court) then the Judge may not find in favour of the tenant and the tenant may be liable for the LL's court costs.


So my best bet would be to withdraw the claim if and when I will find out that my deposit has been re-protected or returned to me?


My tenancy ends in 10 days - can it still be re-protected after it ends?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...