Overpayment of JSA

greendollar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help,

I've received a letter from the DWP's D.V.Debt Management team stating that I was overpayed JSA £110 between 24/07/2009 - 3/09/2009 because my circumstances changed and the office that paid my benefits was not told at the correct time about a change to the level of earnings in my household.

They want me to pay it back at a min £14 per week but I'm wondering if I really do have to pay,for one don't they just deduct overpayments without asking (which I thought they usually did)and as this is not my fault why do I have to suffer because someone at JCP hasn't done their job properly.

I've done everything required of me yet I'm the one,and the kids,who will go short this christmas because of JCP's incompetence.I'm already paying £20 a week for a crisis loan after the stopped my claim,without warning(not the first time either).

Its all well and good writing letters of apology to me but at the end of the day their cock-ups are going to cost me dearly.

thats my moan over

In a nutshell, if you failed to inform them at the time of your change in circumstances, yes you have to pay it back. If you did inform them at the time, and can prove this then you do not have to pay it back.

They can't take it out of your benefit because your case is with debt management which means the benefit sections are unable to make deductions.

If you are struggling to maintain the repayments of the Crisis Loan at £20 per week, you can ask for the repayments to be "rescheduled" (reduced, or deferred). Each case is decided for rescheduling on the claimant's individual circumstances.

You say JCP stopped your claim without warning; if the claim being stopped was their error (which I assume it was, given the letters of apology) and not because of something you did/didn't do, you should have been able to have your benefits re-instated and the amount you were due backdated. You can also raise a complaint for maladministation. In some cases where maladministration is clear, they make consolitory payments.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi Erika,

I've had my JSA stopped twice(without warning),both times JCP were at fault and both times I complained and received written apologies.Both times I had to apply for crisis loans and successfully got them to pay bank charges because they failed to pay in money to cover DD's .

The problem I have now seems to stem from part-time work I have been doing which corresponds with the dates they are saying I was overpayed.

I have always,without fail,filled in earnings forms(B7's I think)everytime I've signed on......it seems that these have been left to build up and now they want me to repay them.

I was curious as to why it had gone to debt management and thought as its not my fault,if anything they've done nothing but mess me about IE;they cock-up and I'm the one who has to sort it out,that I could get out of repaying it but the letter does say "this money has to be paid back under the law"

I think after all the grief they've put me through I should be complaining again.