style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone .. can anyone help? I am having trouble with Jacobs Bailiffs, who are arrogant and unsympathetic. I have just been charged for a second letter which didn't need to be posted as I was trying to negotiate a payment plan for council tax owed from 2008. I rang their office and made an offer of £10 per week which they said would be ok. They told me to ring the bailiff and tell him. He said he would have to phone his supervisor and get back to me, he wouldn't say when. Since reading some of the threads on here I see some people are bypassing bailiffs and making payments direct to the council. can anyone advise how to do this as I rang the council and they wouldn't accept direct payment to them, they said I have to deal with the bailiff. I don't really want to do this as I have since been told he can seize my car, is this correct? Thanks, any help will be much appreciated.

dont think he can charge for a second letter, keep your car well away from your home as he can levy on this if its not on finance or disabled registered. dont let him in at any cost. someone with more experience than me will be allong soon to help you.

if its council tax i dont think he can charge you for any letters. just a first visit fee of £24.50 & a second visit of £18. after that without a levy he cant charge anything else.
Yes it is council tax,but the council tax office say they will not accept my offer of payment as it is in the hands of Jacobs, now what can i do.

Yes it is council tax,but the council tax office say they will not accept my offer of payment as it is in the hands of Jacobs, now what can i do.

YOU pay the council anyway, but only what you can reasonably afford, and you continue paying them in affordable amounts until the debt is clear. They cannot refuse to take your payments, but pay them by Standing Order not by Direct Debit, as in the latter case they can unilaterally change the amount taken.

Bailiffs, by the way, cannot charge your for letters: they are just trying it on.

Have you ever let the bailiffs into your home or signed a Walking Possession agreement? If you have not, then the bailiffs cannot enter your home unless they find an open door or window, but you should try to hide your car, if you have one, as they could take that.

The only amount they can reasonably charge you are, first visit £24.50 and £18 for a second visit. No matter how many times they waste their time calling after that, they cannot add on extra charges.

YOU pay the council anyway, but only what you can reasonably afford, and you continue paying them in affordable amounts until the debt is clear. They cannot refuse to take your payments, but pay them by Standing Order not by Direct Debit, as in the latter case they can unilaterally change the amount taken.

Bailiffs, by the way, cannot charge your for letters: they are just trying it on.

Have you ever let the bailiffs into your home or signed a Walking Possession agreement? If you have not, then the bailiffs cannot enter your home unless they find an open door or window, but you should try to hide your car, if you have one, as they could take that.

The only amount they can reasonably charge you are, first visit £24.50 and £18 for a second visit. No matter how many times they waste their time calling after that, they cannot add on extra charges.

TNX for your reply FairPlay but if i am to start paying the council by standing order then what happens with Jacobs? Up to now I have had 2 letters dropped through the door. On no account have I come face to face with the bailiff yet. I have tried to settle a monthly payment with him only over the phone but to no avail. Also with the manager of jacobs. Theese people just dont seem to want to listen to anybody but themselves.:mad::mad::mad:

TNX for your reply FairPlay but if i am to start paying the council by standing order then what happens with Jacobs? Up to now I have had 2 letters dropped through the door. On no account have I come face to face with the bailiff yet. I have tried to settle a monthly payment with him only over the phone but to no avail. Also with the manager of jacobs. Theese people just dont seem to want to listen to anybody but themselves.:mad::mad::mad:

THERE'S no law that says you have to deal with bailiffs. They are no more than tinpot private companies who happen to have a contract with the council.

I would advise you to break off all contact with the bailiffs and start paying the council direct (they are not going to refuse your money!).

Eventually, Jacobs will get the message and return the account to the council anyway. If in the meatime the company attempts to contact you, refuse to speak to them. They are not the police, and they have absolutely no hold over you (unless you choose to let them). Forget about them, and solve your problem by paying off your debt, at a more reasonable rate than Jacobs would charge you, direct to the council.

TNX once again fairPlay The main issue I am trying to get over is,even when I do start to pay the council this will not stop the bailiff coming & levying my car which is my greatest worry.

I have contacted the council & they said they wont have any dealings with me & I must go through the bailiffs.

Any advice would be most appreciated & once again many tnx,s

TNX once again fairPlay The main issue I am trying to get over is,even when I do start to pay the council this will not stop the bailiff coming & levying my car which is my greatest worry.

I have contacted the council & they said they wont have any dealings with me & I must go through the bailiffs.

Any advice would be most appreciated & once again many tnx,s

IS there any way you can hide your car?

If not, perhaps the best thing to do is to TEMPORARILY go on dealing with the bailiffs but, at the same time, gather together all the evidence you can about their unlawful behaviour, such as their illegal letter charges, and report them to the council, saying that, as the bailiffs have tried to defraud you, you demand that the council take back the account. If the council refuses, you can then complain to your local councillor and get him/her to intervene on your behalf.

From what you have said, the correct bailiff charges so far are: £24.50 for their first visit (if such a visit has taken place) and £18 for their second visit (if it has happened). As they have not succeeded in levying on your property they cannot add on extra charges, no matter how many times they call at your address.

To stay the bailiffs' hands as far as your car is concerned, I think you should send them a strongly worded letter about their illegal charges and demand a breakdown of what they claim you owe.

• 2 weeks later...

One more thing that is on my mind is if the bailiffs bring a van can they add that to the charges, bear in mind that at no time have they been in or invited into my property, nor has anything been signed by me or anyone else.

But the council have said the bailiffs will keep on comming & adding costs including a van which I will have to pay for, How & where do I stand..

Thanks folkes.

There are no statutory charges for using a van.

Bailliffs can charge reasonable costs for using a van, but that means actual disbursements, the law does not provide for bailiffs to use reasonable costs to make a gain for himself or another.

You have a right to ask the bailiff for a breakdown of costs, but if the bailiff is unable or unwilling to give a breakdown of costs then you do not have to pay them. This is because the bailiff is unwilling show it is reasonable costs.

Bailiffs often ask you to pay them £10 under a pretence that asking for a breakdown of reasonable costs is accessing personal data about you under section 7 of the data protection act 1998. You can interpret this as the bailiff is unwilling to show it is reasonable costs and those costs can be disregarded.

The next generation Nintendo Wii - the Nintendo Puu