Creditor passed details of debts onto local Council

underdog13
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A repayment plan was negotiated via the CAB with my creditor; thay have now decided that they will not accept the payment plan anymore and have written to the housing department of my local council, giving them my full details and details of my my debt!! Unbelievable!!!:mad:

Needless to say it has nothing to do with the council - I don't live in a council house or recieve housing benefit or council tax benefit.

This must be a breach of the data protection act, at the very least.

Any advice on how best to proceed with this one?

And there was I trying to think if there was maybe some link with the OC and the council.......... but nope.

I'd get the complaint off along with one to Barclays asking them to explain their position and/or reasoning behind this damaging attack on your good name...... only my opinion but having served this information to a public body without foundation they could be leaving themselves open to an action for libel.

Edited by gezwee

And there was I trying to think if there was maybe some link with the OC and the council.......... but nope, they're being t*ssers.

I'd get the complaint off along with one to Barclays asking them to explain their position and/or reasoning behind this damaging attack on your good name...... only my opinion but having served this information to a public body without foundation they could be leaving themselves open to an action for libel.

:D:D:D An action for libel - I like the sound of that, heh heh. I'll take this one as far as I can.

How did you find out they had passed the info on? Did they contact you in writing? I'l bet You could slaughter them for this one!

Hi DeRichleau,

Yes, they confirmed what they had done in writing, thoughfully enclosing a copy of the very missive sent to the council.

This is almost certainly illegal. I would not be suprised if you get a bob or two out of this. Revealing details of your financial affairs to a third party without your knowledge or consent, how many laws, agreements, and guidelines will that have broken. I bet a brief would have a field day with it, and would take it on without any up front fees. Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch of Bankers (or something that sounds like that)

This is almost certainly illegal. I would not be suprised if you get a bob or two out of this. Revealing details of your financial affairs to a third party without your knowledge or consent, how many laws, agreements, and guidelines will that have broken. I bet a brief would have a field day with it, and would take it on without any up front fees. Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch of Bankers (or something that sounds like that)

That was pretty much my thoughts, DeRichleau:) Want to go for their jugular, but need to garner some detailed info first. I have contacted a solicitor about this, but he is very busy and haven't heard back from him yet - a brief might be a better way to go.....:D

....and yes, they are such a deserving bunch of 'bankers', aren't they?!;)

Sounds very suspect indeed... wonder why they thought they would write to the local council about you? It doesn't make any sense that I can see and is a clear breach of data protection.

Hi SG,

those were my thoughts too - surely no-one could be so stupid to write to a council 'accidentily'?!

It must be a breach of data protection - just need to find out what I can do about it legally and what I can sue them for:D

Have you had it confirmed by the council that they actually recieved the letter they alleged they sent to them?

I could enclose a copy of a letter and tell you I sent it to the prime minister, wether I did or not is a different matter.

I don't think it would make any difference to your right to take action but confirmation from the said council could only strenthen your case