Bank Charge issues Post Test case - Repayment: how will charges be repaid?

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the bank defaulted on the court directions on my claim before the test case was announced then like many others a stay was put on it i unsucesfully applied to have it removed ..guttin as i was days away from my day in court . Is that it now have i wasted all my time an hard work im unsure what this all means for me

What is wrong with this country?

How can 5 old farts say that it`s ok to rip people off, trap them in debt and ruin their lives just to save the Banks from paying out what`s not theirs?

This is nothing more than legalised extortionate profiteering. I still think these Banks have paid the judges a few million each to rule in their favour.

This makes me sick. I hate Banks, I hate the spinless courts and I hate the dicks in charge of this bum hole country.

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

How can 5 old farts say that it`s ok to rip people off, trap them in debt and ruin their lives just to save the Banks from paying out what`s not theirs?

That's not what they said. See also the announcement.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Maybe not, but that`s what has happened, just in different words.

We are nobodies, the goverment and courts will always protect the banks. There`s too much money at stake.

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

Bump ...I will be interested in what the OFT plans next - I for one will be contacting them to see if they will progress this through the "unfair contracts " bit - I appreciate the judges have said "you agree by the terms of the account when you go overdrwan etc etc " but what if those terms change ? eg my bank initially charged me £8 per day for being over then bumped that up to £25 without my agreement ......(rhetorically) where's the fairness in that ?

Maybe not, but that`s what has happened, just in different words.

Again, that is not what has happened. Read what I've linked you to above - especially take note of the site announcements in big col *ahem*, big coloured letters. It's not over - people that have followed CAG's advice should still be in good stead, and the Court has made things easier in some respects. From the outset, we were not about getting your money back but fair play - getting your charges back is no good if you're only going to have to pay through the nose again. Some fees had moved by small amounts in the past, and most will remember the £12 débâcle, so to see banks slashing their fees from £38 to £5 is a step in the right direction. If others start following suit, we have definite progress. It's not bad news, and it's not the end for claims (albeit they now need to be more carefully construed).

was this ruling for all charges or just overdraft charges?

Neither. It was for the OFT's ability to take a particular course of action. Won't affect most people using the templates here. Some cases in progress might need to amend Particulars of Claim, and those not started yet might want to wait a couple of days first. Otherwise, water still wet, sky still ... whatever colour it is these days.

Keep calm and carry on.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

On a quick initial read of the judgement summary it looks like the door is still open to proceed against the banks under Regulation 5 of the Unfair Contract Terms Regulations 1999.

Is my hasty decision correct?

Edited by Number6

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

Think so No.6 - hope so anyway cos I'm going through that door:p

Absolutely, me too:) There seems to be a lot of media hype involved with the Supreme Court's decision but one has to look closer at what exactly they have ruled against. Everything else still stands:cool:

I`m wondering how this will affect older bank accounts, with no opening/application form available from the bank.

I have an account which Lloyds TSB is chasing. I haven`t bothered with it for a year now, they have added charges and interest on and are asking for it back. They claim I have broken the agreement between the bank and myself, yet they have not shown up with any paperwork other than statements.

No agreement, no application form. Just the usual BS.

As far as I make it, I have not agreed to be charged in that case. They will say I have agreed to the T`s & C`s by using the account.

So, they are unable to supply me with the T`s & C`s from 24 years ago. What does that mean?

I`m wondering how this will affect older bank accounts, with no opening/application form available from the bank.

I have an account which Lloyds TSB is chasing. I haven`t bothered with it for a year now, they have added charges and interest on and are asking for it back. They claim I have broken the agreement between the bank and myself, yet they have not shown up with any paperwork other than statements.

No agreement, no application form. Just the usual BS.

As far as I make it, I have not agreed to be charged in that case. They will say I have agreed to the T`s & C`s by using the account.

So, they are unable to supply me with the T`s & C`s from 24 years ago. What does that mean?

I agree. Let them PROVE our original agreement (which they won't be able to find) allowed them to change the T&C's and that we agreed they could impose these draconian charges.

I think I may try this with one of the smaller accounts I have to see how I get on. I'll keep you all posted on this.

so does this mean if I claimed for x then there's a chance the 'fair bank charge fee' would be deducted from this and the rest payable to me?

I nearly threw everything out yesterday 4 claims from when it was stayed, I'm so glad I didn't.

PS what the hell is a poc and N1 it's been so long I've forgot!!