• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Summons received from Halifax

panty54
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi P.

Stick to the court dates as HB says.

So it will be an embarressed defence as they've failed to produce the info. Drag it out of them using CPR. Look at the latter part of the following thread = CPR31.14 and CPR18 - gives them no room to manouvre (unless someone thinks otherwise and i'm being too harsh on them ;))

M

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/236115-pumpytums-goes-northampton-help.html

PS Credit to Hungrybear for that one - not my tactics:D

M

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all for your responses and in summary I am not unsettled by their actions - only to be expected but enjoying the battle! I was just being very sarcastic when I referred to their graciousness:rolleyes: and of course it is the court which directs now as far as I am concerned.

Hungrybear, in response to your enquiry do they know if I have the DN - yes in the sense in that I have told them it is defective in my letter of 9 November when I suggested they withdraw their action. Can you tell me where in the act it says second class post without contrary proof.

MandM thanks for that link and I will explore it further over the weekend but in the meantime still not sure what to do? Do I ignore or acknowledge in some form or another?

Thanks everyone for your help

Panty

Hungrybear, in response to your enquiry do they know if I have the DN - yes in the sense in that I have told them it is defective in my letter of 9 November when I suggested they withdraw their action. Can you tell me where in the act it says second class post without contrary proof.

oh god now you're asking, its a supplementary schedule. I'll have a dig I have it somewhere!

anyone got this to hand?

btw - it's 100% definitely right. Normal post = 2nd class

The requirement for a valid Default Notice to lawfully Terminate an Account whilst in default

1. Notwithstanding the matters pleaded above, the Claimant must under Section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 serve a valid Default Notice before they can demand early payment of sums not yet due under a Regulated Credit Agreement.

2. Under the Interpretation Act 1978 Section 7, it states:*

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression "serve" or the expressions "give" or "send" or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post."

2. Practice Direction

Service of Documents - First and Second Class Mail.

With effect from 16 April 1985 the Practice Direction issued on 30 July 1968 is hereby revoked and the following is substituted therefore.

1). Under S7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 service by post is deemed to have been effected, unless the contrary has been proved, at the time when the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

2). To avoid uncertainty as to the date of service it will be taken (subject to proof to the contrary) that delivery in the ordinary course of post was effected:-

(a) in the case of first class mail, on the second working day after posting;

(b) in the case of second class mail, on the fourth working day after posting.

"Working days" are Monday to Friday, excluding any bank holiday.

3). Affidavits of service shall state whether the document was dispatched by first or second class mail. If this information is omitted it will be assumed that second class mail was used.

4). This direction is subject to the special provisions of RSC Order 10, rule 1(3) relating to the service of originating process.

8th March 1985*

J R BICKFORD SMITH Senior Master

Queen's Bench Division

3. Further to point 2 above, CPR rules on service also state the required timescales to be given for serving of documents :-

Under CPR 6.26 First class post (or other service which provides for delivery on the next business day) is deemed to be “served” The second day after it was posted, left with, delivered to or collected by the relevant service provider provided that day is a business day.

thanks both for your help and I have today received notification from Northampton that they have received my defence which has been served on the claimant. They now have 28 days to indicate if they wish to proceed if the dispute cannot be resolved informally. Shall I draft a response to their letter along the lines of thanks for their response but my defence has already been submitted to court of which they will have received a copy by now and I await their decision within the time frame allowed by the court? I don't want to ignore thier letter altogether particularly if we do go to court as they may argue that they have attempted to settle out of court and I have just ignored their offer. What do people think?

Panty

thanks both for your help and I have today received notification from Northampton that they have received my defence which has been served on the claimant. They now have 28 days to indicate if they wish to proceed if the dispute cannot be resolved informally. Shall I draft a response to their letter along the lines of thanks for their response but my defence has already been submitted to court of which they will have received a copy by now and I await their decision within the time frame allowed by the court? I don't want to ignore thier letter altogether particularly if we do go to court as they may argue that they have attempted to settle out of court and I have just ignored their offer. What do people think?

Panty

I would write and say that you have filed an defence in line with the court imposed timeframe. Whilst you thank them for the suggested 14 days you wish to remind them that you consider it rather disingenuous and an abuse of process to have begun court action without documentation to hand to determine whether or not it is enforceable or has a realistic chance of success.

Maybe point out that they should have your defense by now and given the unlawful rescission which is very clear from the default notice they wish to withdraw now and save costs and prevent a wasted costs claim when the court find sin you favour.

DEpends how 'ballsy' you want to be. If the foot was on the other shoe, their solicitor would send such to you 100% guaranteed

After all with that DN you have the upper hand

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I replied to Halifax along the lines suggested by Hungrybear and pointed out to them that my defence had already been submitted to the court and reminded them that their offer and actions were somewhat disingenuous given the defective default notice and subsequent unlawful recission. I have now today received a statement from Halifax after many months of not receiving any, having not made any payments to the account since I placed it in dispute in December of last year. What are they playing at??? Hmmm:(

Hi everyone

I replied to Halifax along the lines suggested by Hungrybear and pointed out to them that my defence had already been submitted to the court and reminded them that their offer and actions were somewhat disingenuous given the defective default notice and subsequent unlawful recission. I have now today received a statement from Halifax after many months of not receiving any, having not made any payments to the account since I placed it in dispute in December of last year. What are they playing at??? Hmmm:(

Hi P,

They have to send them out every 6 months now. I still get them off Egg for my loan and just about to go to court :D

M

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Hi everyone

As m said, this was a new rule brought in by the 2006 act. they have to send regular statements on any account which is basically on their debt book. The statement has no effect on the status of the debt or anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update I submitted my defence on 30 November and had a reply from Northampton CC dated 1 December to acknowledge, indicating that a copy had been served to the claimant and if claimant wished to proceed they had to contact the court within 28 days of receipt of my defence. Beyond that time limit the claim would be stayed and the only action the claimant could then take was to apply for an order lifting the stay.

I also wrote to Halifax 7 December along the lines Hungrybear outlined suggesting they withdraw as the DN was defective resulting in unlawful recission.

Apart from receiving a further statement from Halifax in the interim which has been explained by hungrybear I have not heard a dicky either from the court or Halifax. Any advice as to what I should do next. Do I contact Northampton CC to see what is happening?

Panty

The banks Sols always take the time allowances to the limit and beyond (and usually get away with it :rolleyes:). you could ring the court first and see if they,ve heard anything as you've said.

On one of mine the court wrote to the Sols telling them their time was up - but then gave them a further 7 days :mad:.

M

Just to update I submitted my defence on 30 November and had a reply from Northampton CC dated 1 December to acknowledge, indicating that a copy had been served to the claimant and if claimant wished to proceed they had to contact the court within 28 days of receipt of my defence. Beyond that time limit the claim would be stayed and the only action the claimant could then take was to apply for an order lifting the stay.

I also wrote to Halifax 7 December along the lines Hungrybear outlined suggesting they withdraw as the DN was defective resulting in unlawful recission.

Apart from receiving a further statement from Halifax in the interim which has been explained by hungrybear I have not heard a dicky either from the court or Halifax. Any advice as to what I should do next. Do I contact Northampton CC to see what is happening?

Panty

i would prepare an application to strike out their claim on the basis that they can show no cause of action due to the faulty DN

then fax the other side and give them a skeletal argument of what you will use to submit an application to strike out the claim and offer them the opportunity to discontinue without costs,

if they do not respond within 7 days you will make the application (40 quid i think) and claim your costs

can i just backtrack in the post

when you say you tippexed the date out and wrote it back in- you didnt do this on the original copy did you?

if so you might have a problem since yours will be the only copy of the DN in existence and the judge would be none too impressed if it had been tampered with ESPECIALLy since you are claiming that the time for remedy is faulty!!

i would prepare an application to strike out their claim on the basis that they can show no cause of action due to the faulty DN

then fax the other side and give them a skeletal argument of what you will use to submit an application to strike out the claim and offer them the opportunity to discontinue without costs,

if they do not respond within 7 days you will make the application (40 quid i think) and claim your costs

Hi DD

When you say skeletal argument of what to send to the other side do you mean the full WS that I would submit to the court for a SO or more of a brief summary outlining my intentions? Also, should I be so gracious of giving them the opportunity or should I just go straight with the N244 and submit to the court for SO without a hearing? Things have drifted on now since the end of November.

thanks Panty

i assume that what you want is an easy resolution

also in the event that this is not possible and they continued then you want to be able to say to the judge "well i told them so" (especially in respect of any costs applications).

if you have previously pointed out points of law to the other side - they take a risk if they continue to pursue that line and lose

thus IMO it is wise to outline to them why you beleive their continuation is bound to fail and invite them to withdraw without costs.

if they don't then they only have themselves to blame .

i assume that what you want is an easy resolution

also in the event that this is not possible and they continued then you want to be able to say to the judge "well i told them so" (especially in respect of any costs applications).

if you have previously pointed out points of law to the other side - they take a risk if they continue to pursue that line and lose

thus IMO it is wise to outline to them why you beleive their continuation is bound to fail and invite them to withdraw without costs.

if they don't then they only have themselves to blame .

OK DD get your drift so I will alert them to my intentions but does this go to the full extent of sharing the WS that I intend to submit with N244 or a just a brief outline?

Panty