Company scamming my bank account

pezz1753
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5142 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently purchased 'Idolwhite' teeth whitener for my daughter on the internet from a company called 'Healthbuy.com. It was a free 14 trial for which I paid the postage with my debit card. The whitening pen arrived 3 days later but looked rather cheap so I emailed to cancel the order and I returned the whitening pen.....This company has since taken £52 from my bank two weeks ago and again today they have withdrawn anther £55!

I have complained to my bank First Direct but they seem hesitant in stopping any future payments to this company who are also known as 'Ultifreshwell' and also 'improvehealth'. I checked them on the internet and found out they they are systematically [causing problems] customers once they get your debit card details::-xUltifreshwell Complaints - [problem]

Can someone please advise me what to do as I am worried they will start taking more and more from my account!:confused:

Pezz1753

This happened to my colleagues daughter although I don't know what company it was. She thought she was buying a one off for about £20 which she paid by credit card, and discovered she'd signed up for a monthly supply so they kept taking money off her card.

If it was definitely paid by debit card, I don't know why FD can't stop the payments, although credit cards are a different matter.

I had a similar problem with vista print when I ordered business cards and they then took regular money from me, but a couple of strongly worded emails got my money back. I think they knew I wasn't going to let it drop.

Try the company direct, but I suggest you also see what your local trading standards department and see if they can help.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Tell your bank to stop the debits then advise them they're taking the money fraudulently. Then ask them if you can cancel the card and for them to reissue you with another one.

This happened to a mate of mine, in the end he lost his card by accident and the number became invalid so they couldn't take any more money. If you can, get a credit card also for these kind of transactions, it doesn't offer a lot of protection but it offers a damn site more than a debit card. If you can't qualify for a credit card then use one of those 'throwaway' cards that they sell in newsagents or at the post office. At least then they can only take as much money as you have on the card and nothing more.

HTH

The bank is now prevented by the new FSA regulations which specifically require them not to make payments or to etrun payments to you and that you must be given the benefit of the doubt.

Write to the bank. Instruct them to cease all payments to this company. remind the bank tat you are the client not the comany. Tell them that you are making a formal complaint under the new FSA banking conduct of business regs which you want to go to the Ombudsman.

Don't do any of this on the phone. Send everything by recorded delivery.

Also the advice to say that you have lost the card is useful advice. A shame that it is necessary to resort to these tricks.

Forgot to say that you shouhld also report them to Trading Standards

Thank you 'caro' and 'human error' your advice is much appreciated.;)

As advised I have today complained to my local Trading Standards Office and again to First Direct regarding stopping these 'unauthorised withdrawals'. Surely a Bank the size of HSBC-First Direct can 'STOP' unauthorised transctions like this when requested to do so by thier customer?:mad:

Will keep you posted regarding outcome!

Pezz1753

My Bank has just informed me that they will try and 'claw-back' the unauthorised withdrawals but this will attach a 60 day payment pending to the withdrawal in order for the '[problematic]' to prove the payment is genuine! They also inform me that they cannot stop any future unauthorised withdrawals because even if it is a '[problem]' it is 'NOT' an illegal [problem]!!!:eek:....Whats all that about????.......If it was'nt so ****ing serious it would be comical!

Edited by pezz1753

did you put it in writing to the bank like Bankfodder advised? or was this by phone?

as they are not forthcoming at the moment it may help if you lose the card and ask for replacement

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

I did take Bankfodders advice and sent off a letter by recorded delivery today to the bank and also to the Trading Standards Office. However First Direct phoned me and explained the above information which shocked me to be honest!....How can a '[problem]' that takes money from peoples accounts without their express permission not be considered an illegal act by Banks?

In my personal opinion by not condeming these scams they are, by definition encouraging them! The same Bank is very quick to charge me £25 if I go overdrawn by 10p but cannot stop blatant thieves from withdrawing my money willy nilly. I am quite sure if was their own funds that were being withdrawn without permission, it would have been stopped instantly.

Pezz1753

• 4 months later...

healthbuy.com have also done me over. Their second user name HerbalBiz ltd took $99.94 from my credit card and although the credit card company stopped any other deductions they won't do anything to get my $99.94 back. They did agree it was a [problem],and calling healthbuy's London number results in an answermachine.

How can i get my money back?

Your under all the protection limits, so if your bank refuse to help, there really isn't much else you can do (assuming this is a non-EU outfit. Using debit cards are also bad news and with no £100 safety net.

Try your local Trading Standards Sam. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they know all about them and may be able to advise.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.