MOT Query

heliosuk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Take it to the local cabinet maker.

I can see why as they probably don't know how to classify it or what they need to look for.

Would a mechanic even know what a woodworm hole looks like.

Cars before 1900 had pneumatic tyres so how come yours doesn't?

I have seen Gladiators from earlier years with pneumatic, are yours standard fit.

Sorry I can't help in any other way, perhaps a ministry testing center could help or an email to Vosa might bring the answer.

You're right conniff. On reflection it did have Dunlop Cords on it. The one next to it had steel tyres. It was some 25 years ago. You're both not far from what happened. When booking the test the garage called the area Inspectorate who actually thought it was an aircraft and the garage was winding them up. Eventually they came back with a test which suggested getting a carpenter to inspect the wooden spoked wheels but other than that to make sure it could stop, had a rear relector and two lights on the front and didn't seem dangerous. Tapley meter readings were horrendous!

Gearbox packed up 10 miles outside of Brighton

Not really relevant to the question but a bit of historical info which I am sure you already know.

Brighton-Early : Gladiator

Also this might be of interest.

www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/inf26.ashx

Regards

-

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, my comments are based on information learnt or

obtained and from my own experiences.

-

Case 1 - C L Finance - Court Case 'Stayed' :-). Stay Lifted - N149 AQ Received & Filed. Case Struck Out :grin:

-

Case 2 - C L Finance - Defence Filed. N150 AQ Received & Filed. Case 'Settled by Consent' :)

-

Case 3 - EOS Solutions - No Agreement - Account Closed ~£3500. :grin:

-

Advice & opinions offered freely but informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment and seek advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

Errrrrrr peeps. This was posted as a bit of fun. Was a real life situation 25 years ago. Read the thread!!

Also see previous MOT related posts.

As the OP, it's now closed but hopefully it supports the theory all is not what it seems. Please don't post anymore, the car is now in a private museum and celebrated its 100 birthday this year.

END of the POST!!!

Hi Helio,

Tell you what, if you post a photo of it, I'll close the thread after that.

Deal, or No Deal. :cool:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Wasn't as technically advanced Nigel. Bits I had to do were on the engine. When it was sent to us ( private collection) it would not run. Valve springs were shot. Couldn't find a dealer for replacements!!!

Spent days/weeks trying to find suitable replacements travelling the country. Ended up having them made!!

Engine lasted.

Will search for a pic to close this down but it does sort of say the MOT is no mans land.......... opps will probably kick something off here!!!

Was a very interesting car though when I look at the stuff I deal with on a daily basis. In automotive terms things havent changed that much from the basic physics.

Brilliant Helio.

What a beautiful car !! :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

There are certain criteria where an MOT station can refuse to test a car, and being very old and/or unusual aren't one of them!

This is from the testers manual...

This manual does not include the reasons for refusing to test a vehicle in the Reasons for rejection Columns. VTSs may only test those classes and types of vehicle that they are authorised to test and which are of a size and weight that can be accomodated by the authorised equipment.

If any of the following reasons apply,, the test should not be carried out, the vehicle presenter informed and any fee paid for the test must be returned. It is therefore advised that 'refusal' items are checked before starting the test.

If the vehicle presenter requires written confirmation of why the test cannot be carried out, the test should be registered using the VTS Device. a VT30 should be issued clearly showing the reason(s) why the test could not be carried out. the test should then be abandoned.

If reason to refuse 1. applies, issue a hand written VT30 containing as many of the vehicle details as possible. a copy of the VT30 should be retained by the VTS.

The reasons for refusing to carry out the test are:

a. the log book/registration certificate or other evidence of the date of first use is not produced if the information therein, is necessary for the test to be carried out.

Note: Normally this evidence is only necessary if the vehicle has a "cherished" registration mark or if the registration mark's year letter does not make clear the standard that should be applied- for instance regarding the requirement for post 1st August 1986 vehicles to be fitted with direction indicators.

b. the vehicle or any part or equipment on the vehicle is so dirty that examination is unreasonably difficult:

c. the vehicle is not fit to be driven when necessary to complete the test because of a lack of fuel or oilor any other reason.

d. the NT considers insecurety of a load or other items would prevent a proper test being carried out unless the load is secured or removed;

e. the VTS asks for the test fee to be paid in advance and this is not done;

f. The vehicle emits substantial quantitiews of avoidable smoke

g. a proper examination cannot be carried out because any cover or other device designed to be readily opened cannot be readily opened, e.g. a seat is locked down and lifting is required in order to inspect the structure of the machine;

h. the condition of the vehicle is such that. in the opinion of the NT a proper examination would involve a danger of injury to any person or damage to the vehicle or other property.

i. The vehicle has neither registration mark nor VIN/Chassis No/Frame No. by which it can be identified, or that all such identifications are illegible or use letters and numbers not normally used in the English Language.

In addition to this an NT must decline to test any vehicle that is not of a class they are authorised to test of such a size, weight or configuration it cannot be property or safely tested on the approved facilities or a vehicle that has the frame stamped either "not for road use", or words to that effect.

If, despite due care initially, it becomes apparent during a test that the test cannot be completed for any of the above reasons, you must fail the vehicle because the test could not be satisfactorily completed.

Any re-examination and fee must be in line with normal policy (see Fees and Appeals Poster) treating the component which could not be examined as a failure item.

None of the above applies/ed in the case above. It was a museum piece!

Thanks for the reply though. Interestingly, the garage I first started in used to get a lot of farmers landrovers in where I had to clean them before the testers would even look at them.

Cleaning the vehicle....1 hour. Being sent to clear the drains...........priceless!!!