Help - Uncle Buck!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi! I've just logged on to my online banking to find I'm £250 overdrawn as Uncle Buck have taken three separate direct debits from my account today. I immediately cancelled the direct debit online and contacted my bank (Natwest) who said they would 'refund the account by the close of the next business day' (i.e. the end of Thurs) which is fine, but that I may have a problem with charges and that if the payee 'disputes the refund we will contact you again for recovery of the funds'. This isn't my main bank account (so my salary etc is safe) but I'm looking at £90 in charges here, and is there a chance Uncle Buck could just keep trying to take the money, or will NatWest try to recover it? I'm tempted just to close the account as soon as I have the money back. Any other advice welcome??

You need to advise Natwest in writing that you have not given permission for UB to re-set up a DD on your account and that no payments should be made to them either by DD or Standing Order, tell them you do not owe UB any money.

Ring Natwest and ask for a fax number to send the letter to (if you have access to a fax), if not take 2 copies into your local branch and get them to stamp one copy "received on (date)" so you have proof of your instruction to them.

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Thanks Ell-en, for that advice. I'm going past the bank on the way to work in the morning so I will take a letter in then (and can maybe speak to someone face to face about any charges they apply).

I can fax from my PC but tbh I have NO idea how it works... :confused:

If you can take it in person, that would be best.

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

The plot thickens... I just logged on to internet banking and my balance has been restored and my statement shows no sign at all of the DDs... Perhaps they were rejected through lack of funds, or maybe the refund went thrhough much more quickly that expected.... Am still concerned about fees being applied but so will keep an eye out.

The plot thickens... I just logged on to internet banking and my balance has been restored and my statement shows no sign at all of the DDs... Perhaps they were rejected through lack of funds, or maybe the refund went thrhough much more quickly that expected.... Am still concerned about fees being applied but so will keep an eye out.

If you dispute a direct debit on the day the money comes off, then ususally the next day everything just disappears as if it never happened.

I'm guessing that's what happened here.

That's correct - I bank with Natwest and I've had to get them to return DD's which were taken after cancellation of insurances etc. If you ask them to refuse the DD's on the same day, there is no charge (even if you don't have enough funds), and they will not appear on your statement or internet banking.

You need to get the letter into the bank asap as UB will no doubt try again. You will have to keep an eye on your bank account daily for a while.