• Tweets

• Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
    • Hi. I'm afraid I've had to hide your post with the pdf files to keep this anonymous for you. You've left the PCN reference number and your car reg showing. Could you edit that and repost please? HB    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Claim from a forgotten incident- what to do.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few weeks ago I was parking my car outside my house and wasn't quite near enough to the kerb so pulled out to reverse back nearer the kerb,simple enough you would think.

The problem is that the road I live on is very wide and next to where I park there are traffic bollards and the pavement juts out similar to bus stops so when you pull out,even to reverse back you go into this narrowed bit of road.

As I was doing this a car came flying down the road (even thought there is a 30 limit) and the driver swerved and clipped the bollard.After a few choice words I told him it was his own stupid fault for driving so fast and went into my house,thought no more about it.

Today I had a letter from my insurance to say that he was making a claim against me for a collision!!

I spoke to a very nice young lady and I told her what had happened as far as I could remember but am now quite concerned as I didn't even think about reporting the incident to them.

Does anyone know if I am likely to be found liable because I didn't report it at the time?

Not reporting the accident at the time has no effect on your liability.

It was your actions at the time of the accident that determine that.

If you pulled out into the path of someone and caused them to take evasive action then you are to some (possibly all) degree liable. It is difficult to claim that the other person's speed was excessive, but if you can successfully argue that then liability may be split.

Mossy

How did the other driver obtain your insurance details?

When I spoke to my insurance company they said that they had been contacted by his insurers - i can only think that he took down my car registration and his insurance company checked for him - I didn't give him any details and the Insurers are totally different.

I didn't think to ask my insurance company:confused:

I would of thought that the 'third party' would require witnesses to prove you caused the incident. If he was so sure you did then why did he not report you to the police for driving without due care and attention?

I suggest (as you have allready spoken to your insurers) is that you ask your insuers what proof they have been preseented with. Further indicate that you are not making any claim because as far as you are concerned you were not involved and as such you dispute the third party claim.

There is obviously the option for the third party to claim damages from you through the small claims court but again, I think he will need evidence.

Thanks for you reply Sam,my insurers did ask if there were any witnesses but there were none that I'm aware of,other than the passenger in the other car who could not be classed as independent.

Thinking about it I should have asked my insurers why the driver didn't call the Police but merely went to his insurance company,hopefully that will help me by bringing doubt into the equation - I'm certain I wasn't responsible,I would tell you if I was, it's my 60% no claims that is worrying me.

My insurance lady was very good and she did say that she would be disputing the claim in more or less the same words as you have posted.

I'll wait for their letter and come back to this post,thanks again.

The OP or TP is only obliged to call the police if injuries are apparent following an accident.

The police wouldn't normally turn up if there are no injuries and no mention of other offences (ie drink driving etc).

Mossy

The OP or TP is only obliged to call the police if injuries are apparent following an accident.

The police wouldn't normally turn up if there are no injuries and no mention of other offences (ie drink driving etc).

Mossy

Correct Mossy, but if the incident is the result of a traffic offence being commited (i.e. careless/reckless driving or driving without due care and attention ect,) then either party can make a complaint to the police even if there are no injuries.

Correct Mossy, but if the incident is the result of a traffic offence being commited (i.e. careless/reckless driving or driving without due care and attention ect,) then either party can make a complaint to the police even if there are no injuries.

In theory yes they can, however in reality it is very rare an officer will attend because it's one persons word against another and usually ends up going nowhere, so they don't bother.

It's different if alcohol is mentioned because they can do a breath/blood test after the accident and don't need any other corroborating evidence, usually it's only cases involving serious injury or death that the AIU (Accident Investigation Unit) attend and look for physical evidence (tyre marks etc) to ascertain careless/reckless/ due care etc.

In the circumstances described by the OP, the police wouldn't have bothered attending even if someone had alleged due care etc so it's a moot point.

Mossy

Mossy, if anyone reports an offence being commited to the police, they are OBLIGED to attend and investigate. Obviously in the absence of any witnesses, the police will no doubt urge the complainent not to persue the matter. I once had a situation when a milk lorry shed it's load when it left a petrol station with it's side sliding door open and as the truck turned onto the road, it tilted slightly and several crates of empty milk bottles fell into the road as I was driving past. Some of the bottles struck my car causing damage and because the road was partially blocked the police attened. I reported the driver of the truck for having an insecure load and the police tried to persuade me to settle it via the insurance route (as you say; they can't be bothered). But after I insisted I wanted the driver reporting, he was arrested and charged. It made my insurance claim swift and clear cut because the insurers had all their work done for them!

I would advise anyone who is involved in an accident which has been caused as a result of an offence being commited to report it to the police because it can only help your claim.

However, it can work both ways as in this case. I believe the third party in this case will need witnesses to prove tht OP caused this incident. Otherwise the OP's insueres should dispute the claim, after all they are supposed to act on behalf of their policy holder arn't they?

• 3 weeks later...

I have received a letter today from the other driver's Insurance Company saying that despite corresponding with my insurers they have not received payment and they have given me fourteen days to pay or they will commence legal proceedings.

When I spoke to my insurers originally they said that they would be disputing the claim so I'm wondering what's going on - are they just dragging their feet?

I have sent the letter to my insurers as they advised me to do that if I received anything and I have not contacted the other insurers but am getting a bit worried,any thoughts?

I haven't spoken to my insurers about this new letter,when I spoke to them originally they just said that if I received anything from the other Company I was to send them the letter and not to enter into any dialogue with them.

I've sent them a copy of the letter but will add to my letter that I don't admit any liability, just so they have it in writing.

I AM SO ANGRY!!

I received a letter from my Insurance co today saying that as the third part insurers are now threatening Court action they will have to settle the claim in full on a without prejudice basis to avoid court action!

The letter that I received a couple of days ago from the third party insurers said they would be taking court action because they had not heard from my insurance company.

I can't believe that they could do this, who are they supposed to be working for??!!

At the outset I told them categorically that this incident was not my fault - I know it is only my word against theirs as there were no independent witnesses - but this is not the way I expected to be treated by my insurers as they told me initially that they would be disputing the claim on my behalf but it appears they have done absolutely nothing.

Is there anything I can do now?

I feel like cancelling the policy and taking out new insurance but I pay the premium monthly and fear that they would demand full payment til may next year when the insurance is due to be renewed.

I feel pretty helpless but feel very badly treated.

Hi Wendy,

From reading through the posts;

You were parking and as you did so, you pulled into the narrow piece of road.

If so, the other driver has had to take evasive action to avoid a collision with your vehicle, and as your vehicle entered the line of oncoming traffic, you would be held at fault for the incident. Speed cannot be proven and therefore is not valid grounds for any liability dispute, as you admit that your vehicle will have swung outg slightly, I see no way that this claim would be disputed, or why any witnesses would be needed.

Insurance Guy

If I can offer any help I will....

I have experience in Fault, Non-Fault & Disputed Liability Motor Claims for vehicle damage and hire, and some experience in Personal Injury Claims

If I've helped- please click my scales :D

ANY ASSISTANCE IS GIVEN ENTIRELY WITHOUT PREJUDICE- YOU SHOULD SEEK INDEPENDANT LEGAL ADVICE TO CONFIRM ANY ADVICE GIVEN

FEEL FREE TO PM ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADVICE 8-)

Hi Wendy,

From reading through the posts;

You were parking and as you did so, you pulled into the narrow piece of road.

If so, the other driver has had to take evasive action to avoid a collision with your vehicle, and as your vehicle entered the line of oncoming traffic, you would be held at fault for the incident. Speed cannot be proven and therefore is not valid grounds for any liability dispute, as you admit that your vehicle will have swung outg slightly, I see no way that this claim would be disputed, or why any witnesses would be needed.

I'd agree with that.

Mossy

So the third party dosn't need any evidence that OP 'caused' the incident then?

The OP's own description puts them at fault, the TP was on the main road, the actions of the OP caused the TP to take evasive action.

Whilst the OP may think/feel that the speed of the TP contributed to the accident, they are not qualified or had the equipment to establish that with enough conviction.

Mossy

The OP's own description puts them at fault, the TP was on the main road, the actions of the OP caused the TP to take evasive action.

Whilst the OP may think/feel that the speed of the TP contributed to the accident, they are not qualified or had the equipment to establish that with enough conviction.

Mossy

Although I know where your'e comming from Mossy, my point is that the TP 'had to swerve' to avoid colliding with the OP. I agree that the OPs description suggests that it puts them at fault, but I would of thought that the driver of a car traveling at a safe speed, would of been able to either stop in time or slow down sufficiantly to avoid contact with the kerb/bollard. I personally have had many similar experiences of cars pulling out on me from being parked and I have not had to 'swerve' to the extent of colliding with any street furniture! If I had, I would have certainly reported the driver for careless driving... unless I was speeding of course!

In my opninion in the absence of witnesess this is a 50/50 case.

No way would I offer 50/50 on this if I was the TP insurers.

The OP is almost completely at fault, there could be many reasons why the TP swerved to avoid, the fact is that the TP had to take evasive action and the reason they had to take it was the actions of the OP.

I would point out that whilst it is ideal to stop, you do not know how close the TP was to the OP at the moment the OP first became visible to the TP, it could well be that the TP decided that given the proximity only an evasive manouevre would be effective, or it could be that a swerve was their first reactive measure. It is not for us to second guess or use hindsight as to what the TP might have done, the fact remains that they took evasive action, the sole reason for having to take that was the negligence of the OP.

The TP was on a travelling road, he had right of way, under those circumstances 50/50 would never come into it.

Mossy

Edited by Mossycat

You know Mossy, we both have come across posts where the OP has been 'rear ended' and as such, not at fault (based on their information). But then there has been a number of recent cases where the TP have later disputed liability knowing there were no witnesess. If I remember correctly, in one case you have stated that in the absence of witnesess the insurers may settle on a 50/50 basis. So whats the difference here?

You know Mossy, we both have come across posts where the OP has been 'rear ended' and as such, not at fault (based on their information). But then there has been a number of recent cases where the TP have later disputed liability knowing there were no witnesess. If I remember correctly, in one case you have stated that in the absence of witnesess the insurers may settle on a 50/50 basis. So whats the difference here?

The OP by their own admission admits it was their actions that caused the other driver to swerve and the other driver was on the main road and had right of way.

It's not a matter of no witnesses equals a 50/50 settlement, it's a matter of who claims what, and in this case the OP was clearly at fault

Mossy