• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Statute Barred Debt Acknowledged 1st Credit

stefone
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5258 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening All

Just after some quick advice if available. Been going round and round in circles with DCA called 1st Credit. There were chasing for a 10 yr old deb with Lloyds where debt was purely consisting of bank charges after I left armed forces, inital overdraft was £1.17 pence over my £10 buffer zone. Equatted to over £3000 in total

As I am aware that debts based around unfair bank charges can be argued I acknowledged this debt to them as Statue BArred and after 4 letters and FOS and Harrasment Act correspondence they have fianlly acknowledged the fact apologised and said that all proceedings will stop (they did ask if I wanted to make a specail offer 10% moral settlement offer) lol

My question is this, during this time they ran numerous amounts of recorded credit enquiries against my name and address over last 5 years. Each of my addresses has a recorded and unrecorded enquiry against it. Can they do this? Have they a right to run full recorded credit searches against my name and address especially with enquiry recorded as Debt Collection Agency. Should these be removed. One thing that eluded me if even though chasing for 10yr old debt they were always releuctant and kept telling me that they couldn't send me any info. The funny thing is that now they have acknowledged Statue Barred they stated in their last correspondence that they sent me annual statement on 7th October which they were obliged to send under CCA 1974, funny bit is that I sent official complaint to them and FOS becuase they failed to supply me with any info I requested saying they did not hold any and could not supply it. My question is - how have you sent me an 'Annual' statement under CCA 1974 but when I asked for a copy they replied in their letter on 29th October saying they couldn't comply

So my question again, can I pursue with having this information removed from my credit file and I am right in that they could not record this especially when they acknowledged they hold no information so shouldn't be able to update my Data under DPA

Thanks in advance (Sory for speal)

I would make a complaint to the Information Commissioner that 1st Credit left traces of searches on your credit reports in connection with an alleged debt which they knew was Statute Barred and a request to the CRAs (Equifax, Experian and CallCredit) to remove all traces let on your credit reference reports by 1st Credit and the reason why. Send a copy of everything to the OFT who are currently monitoring 1st Credit closely in view of their questionable behaviours.

The Information Commissioner

Wycliffe House

Water Lane

Wilmslow

Enquiries and Reporting Centre

Office of Fair Trading

Fleetbank House

2-6 Salisbury Square

London

EC4Y 8JX.

Cheshire SK9 5AF

Sorry to be pesimistic but a recent ruling on CCAs held that even though a debt might be legally unforceable, it did prevent collection activities occurring - including credit file entries.

It is very unsatisfactory.

By all means make the complaints suggested but be ready for disappointment.

Onthe other hand, you could think about claiming back charges from them. Charges are recoverable back to 1995. Have you calculated how much you actually did pay in charges over the period of your account?

British justice

don't ya just love it?

how can collection activity proceed on a statute barred debt?

makes a bit of a mockery on SB,doesn't it?You get a clear credit history,and some crock like worst crud decide to make a complete balls of it again,even after 6 years?How does that work?

It's always been the case that you can attempt to collect a statute barred debt. The debt still exists, it's just that it cannot be formally enforced.I do agree though, what's the point of it all? Of course, they should NOT put it on your credit file. It should have been put on when it was first defaulted, and they can't add it a second time

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

Hi

Thanks for replies, thing is with this debt, as was told I couldn't proceed for Bank charge refund as it is over 9 years old and lloyds even defaulted me for it but that has long since come off my credit file. Then these muppets decide to chase it again and mark my credit file with dirty grubby finger prints of debt collection agency credit searches all over it. The main issue I had was that I was going for new lease at the time and the prosepctive landlord refused my lease on the grounds of this credit mark, other than that no problems whatso ever.

The debt was based on overdrawn account at LLoyds for over £6000 this was made purely of bank charges which was found o have been left at £1.17 overdrawn initally. I left army and never thought anything of it as stopped using account just presumed it would be closed automatically after not using it over time much to my evail that started to charge me on the £1.17 and it grew to a vast sum. I do not have any bank charges to get from them as never recieved any they created the charges after I stoppped using the account.

You need to SAR LTSB to get a full set of statements where can then prove that the alleged account is made up purely of charges. Then you can write to their head office to say close the account or you will go to the media and the financial regulatory bodies with complaints of their ridiculous behaviour!

Hi All

Just wanted to say that I received a statutory demand for a statute barred "debt" from 1st Credit and Connaught Collections delivered by Interlink!. I got the forms to have the SD set aside off the internet, took them round to my local court and signed my affadavit in front of one of the Court staff. About 10 days later, I received a court date of 3rd November. I attended court yesterday and Judge told me not to sit down as he had set the SD aside. He tells me they cannot now issue any further SD's on me. When I got home from Court, there was a letter from Connaught Collections telling me that they were withdrawing the SD, would not be attending court (I wonder why) and were returning the "debt" to 1st Credit???

So if you get a statutory demand from these people, don't let it upset you, go to your local court and apply to have it set aside. Once the Court tells them there's a hearing, they'll pull out. Do your homework first though and make sure you present a good case on your affadavit (using CCA 1974 etc - info can be found on this site) against these parasites. It worked for me!

The Judge asked me if I wanted to claim costs, and rather stupidly for me, I said no. It had actually cost me very little to get there by car, and I was so shocked by not even having to speak, I did not consider my travelling costs. I am retired so I couldn't claim for time off work.

Silly me!. Anyway, I'll live with that to get rid of 1st Credit and Connaught Collections.

Hi there

I've already told the judge that I had no costs, would I be able to go back and claim costs now? I'm not a legally trained person, and I was not aware I could claim for the time spent preparing my paperwork.

HI Babybear.

I'd be very grateful if you could help me with the issue of LIP. I spent ages preparing my affadavit, then I had to go to Court once to take it in and get it sworn, and then I had to attend court yesterday for the hearing.

Sorry to be thick but was it a SD or a CCJ?

If it was an SD use this for your costs, it's an example:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/204078-capquest-issue-bankruptcy-notification-6.html#post2276998

If it was a CCJ you'll need to amend it and lose the caselaw and ask for approriate help on here which I don't have sorry.

Hi All

Just wanted to say that I received a statutory demand for a statute barred "debt" from 1st Credit and Connaught Collections delivered by Interlink!. I got the forms to have the SD set aside off the internet, took them round to my local court and signed my affadavit in front of one of the Court staff. About 10 days later, I received a court date of 3rd November. I attended court yesterday and Judge told me not to sit down as he had set the SD aside. He tells me they cannot now issue any further SD's on me. When I got home from Court, there was a letter from Connaught Collections telling me that they were withdrawing the SD, would not be attending court (I wonder why) and were returning the "debt" to 1st Credit???

So if you get a statutory demand from these people, don't let it upset you, go to your local court and apply to have it set aside. Once the Court tells them there's a hearing, they'll pull out. Do your homework first though and make sure you present a good case on your affadavit (using CCA 1974 etc - info can be found on this site) against these parasites. It worked for me!

Congratulations on this Mallymoo :)

This isn't always the case though. 1st Credit sent me 4 SD's and I applied to have the 4th one set aside. Did all my homework but on the day the judge sided with 1st Credit :evil: 1st Credit sent a solicitor to court to defend it and the judge sided with them. 1st pulled out all the stops and lied in court too. TBH I think the judge had already made his mind up before I even entered the court room.

Hi PSB123

The judge told me that once a statutory demand has been set aside, 1st Credit and/or Connaught collections cannot issue another one, although they may be able to make a County Court claim against me. I'll be ready and waiting if they do! Don't think it would go down too well with a Judge if a SD has been set aside though.