NPower - Moved to house, help needed.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody,

I don't have much info about how the power companies work in UK and need help.

I moved into this house which has Gas meter(ft3) and Electric "prepayment" meter on 1st of August 2009. Gas was supplied by NPower and on Electric pre-meter it was marked "EDF" so I assumed supplied by EDF. I took the reading on the day that we moved in for the gas. As electric was PAYG scheme, I didn't bother looking at the meter itself and just topped it up with the amount.

1) As electric is PAYG meter, does it's usage affect Gas? On initial enquiry I was asked for electric meter reading. Now I know it does have reading in Kwh but I didn't record when I moved in.

2) I don't know who supplies Electricity. First we received card from Richburns acting on behalf of British Gas to provide the reading. In following months I went to E.ON( gas supplier change was rejected by NPOWER) and they sent me "Key" and a letter stating that now the electric is supplied by them. This morning when I called NPOWER they insist that the electric is still supplied by them. How do I know? On meter itself, the sticker is of "EDF Energy".

3) Using this site Convert Gas Meter Readings to kWhs my usage since 1st Aug 09 to today comes to 1222 Kwhs. Can anyone estimate roughly the amount outstanding? Reading this forum and other peoples experiences, I'm afraid they may charge a very high amount.

4) To change the account name for Gas meter, NPOWER are still insisting that I've to be on duel fuel. Is it necessary? Do they have power to control PAYG meters?

And contacting NPOWER is nightmare. First a chargeable phone line, then between operators repeating all the information and problem to each single ones. All I want to do is pay for the gas usages :-x

"This morning when I called NPOWER they insist that the electric is still supplied by them. How do I know? On meter itself, the sticker is of "EDF Energy"."

The sticker on the meter means nothing other than that's who put it in originally, this could be sometime ago. Where there are two companies who belive they supply I would check the MPAN (someimtes known as supply number) each of them have. Look on your meter apart from the reading there should be a mix of numbers and letters. This is usually printed on the meter, often near a bar code. It is no displayed where the meter readings are.

This is your meter serial number. Once you have that give it to both so they can investigate and decide who supplies it.

To know your approximate usage would need to know the prices, a rought guess wouldbe £60-£70. Higher rate cane be 3-6 pence, lower rate these days of around 2.5-3 pence. Therefore I'd say based on 4 or 5 p per unit that's roughly what you are looking at.

You can contact NPower free on 0800 551 555.

You really need to establish for CERTAIN who supplies here and now, otherwise you are just going to get more confused. Whilst you are uncertain put away a reasonable amount each month. At least £30-£40, maybe more given the weather is getting colder. Hope this helps.

I strongly suspect there is confusion over the meter number or the address.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Thanks for replies. Very helpful. Sorry for late response as made a quick trip to Derby.

Today received a letter from NPOWER after requesting them to change the name on the bill.

"We're pleased to let you know that npower supplies your address with electricity and gas. You've automatically become an npower on a 'deemed contract'..."

Tariff: LEK1PPK, GAS LOND (?????)

Will give them call tomorrow to see what that tariff is and will also have a look for MPAN.

Thanks again.

It is important you get a new key from NPOwer if you are actually supplied by them for your electric. Otherwise, they will be chasing you for payment as the payments you are making on your key will be going to EON and not NPower.

Obviously, you will need to confirm who the supplier is first!

I used to work for npower. Firstly, check the mpan (or supply number) on each letter to see if they are the same. If they are, there can only be ONE registered supplier. You can either speak to both and ask them to simply check whether they are the registered supplier - they will be able to go on-line with mpas or ecoes I believe it's called now, to clarify. Get them to do it while you hold! If you have no success there, you should be able to contact ecoes direct and they will send to your address the details you require.

The prepayment meter will have property of edf marked on it as they are the meter operators (MOPs) in your area (i presume you are in the London area), for example round here, most meters have "property of eon" marked on them, as eon are the MOPs.

Here's a link to EDF's distribution website, with phone numbers you can call to check who your supplier is, and possibly ask them how long they have supplied for? EDF Energy Networks Contact Us

"I think you're a little out of touch with prices! Higher rates average 12-15p & lower 10-14p depending on area & tariff."

The query was about gas

"3) Using this site Convert Gas Meter Readings to kWhs my usage since 1st Aug 09 to today comes to 1222 Kwhs. Can anyone estimate roughly the amount outstanding? Reading this forum and other peoples experiences, I'm afraid they may charge a very high amount."

Gas isn't that expensive, not yet anyway!

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

We all make mistakes, that's why they put erasers on pencils. Fortunately I don't use much elec so don't get stung by the eye watering rates.

Any update from the OP?

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate other ppls are willing to help and sorry for late replies.

To clarify more, initially after confirming with BG that they're not the suppliers, NPOWER confirmed that they provide for the gas. Then I called EDF as wanted to move to them on duel fuel. On 7th Oct, EDF sent me letter that the current supplier objected and rejected the transfer of gas supply but Electric transfer was successful(letter dated 10th Oct). As I wanted to pay for gas usage, called NPOWER who will only send bill if I change the owner name which I did. Now letters coming from both NPOWER and EDF congratulating that they provide for both gas and electric. Still waiting for any kind of bill before calling both companies. Will wait until this Friday and first thing on Sat I'll be making calls :-x.

mattlamb:It is important you get a new key from NPOwer if you are actually supplied by them for your electric.

The house used to have elec key, no idea of which suppliers. Then EDF sent one on 11th Oct stating that EDF will be supplier from 19th Oct. Using since then.

flooz:I used to work for npower. Firstly, check the mpan (or supply number) on each letter to see if they are the same.

Haven't received any bill from both so don't know where to look for MPAN.

I know, I've to act fast but was busy last couple weeks. But by next week I need to find the facts.

Again thanks for replies.

Here's the update:

First called NPOWER who still on insist that they're the provider for both gas and electric since 1st August(date moved). Also when asked, MPAN number was given. They'll be sending prepayment key by post soon.

Then made call to EDF. They said that they're the provider of Electric since 19th October when I received the meter key. For the gas, they started supplying since 9th Nov as I requested for the change of supplier. MPAN number when asked and given, matches with the one said by NPOWER earlier.

When I told EDF that NPOWER too claiming to be supplier, they assured that once I got any bill from NPOWER for any usage after 9th Nov then forward to EDF. They'll resolve the matter with NPOWER.

Good news is NPOWER got my initial meter reading for gas and rough estimate is around £80(IMO a fair value for almost 4 months).

Looks like only option is to wait for any bills. Taking the gas meter reading once in 2 days just in case.

Hi Starfarer. You need to call your local meter operator, with your MPAN. They will tell you who supplies your electric. Generally speaking that system is one of the few things that tends to be 100% accurate in the whole utility industry!

• 4 months later...

EDF again sent in new electric key on 10th March 2010. In between first received a bill from NPower for Gas usage until Nov 09 for £84 which was again recalculated to final bill of £64 and received on 22nd March. I continued to pay EDF for gas which is up to date.

To my surprise, I received a electricity statement dated 31st March 2010 for account balance of £49.82 from NPower though it is printed For information only. On 3rd page is few calculations showing how the charges are with dates and credit topped up for key. I always thought prepayment key is you use what you top up on the key.

I would've ignore the electric bill but since then I put twice £15 and in first time on meter credit came up as only £6 and in 2nd time £10. What happened to £9+£5=£14???? where it's gone?

Gave call this morning to EDF, checked meter as instructed for any outstanding debt (dispaly "S") which is £0000.000. The girl on phone said probably meter was on emergency credit which I'm sure I check regularly and is not the case. She had no other idea but did confirmed that the electric supply is from EDF.

Trying to contact NPower.

Anyway thank you very much for all your replies, views and help.

Much appreciated.

So as I understand it from re-reading you have recieved a final bill for gas from NPower and are now with EDF?

And both companies continue to believe that they supply the electricity? Clearly they both can't so you need to get the number for the independant company who keeps these records. Unfortunately thier name escapes me so you'd have to ask one of the two companies for it.

Unfortunately it IS possible to build up a balance on a prepayment meter, I don't deal with them myself and I can understand how it is confusing. It could be going into emergency credit, or a build up of standing charge in a period when there are no top ups. Or if its one of the older type of meter it could be that there was a price change and the meter hasn't been updated.

The payments must've been going somewhere, if EDF don't have them Npower must? Unless worst case scenario the key actually belongs to another supplier.

Need to find out for certain who supplies - are there two similar addresses?

So I'd speak to the company whos name eludes me, the suppliers can each check ECOS which is basically a database saying who supplies/supplied and when, I'd get the both to raise an enquiry to state you are not sure who supplies. Maybe keep some money aside until its resolved.

Final option, ring round the other big six suppliers and ask if they supply or have ever supplied. Not a good option, believe the others will fix it.

Given the timescale you could already send this to the energy ombudsmen service.

Edited by indebtstudent

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for contribution here and all the help which were very helpful. Now all is resolved by EDF and happy to continue paying my actual usages. As for the missing amounts on key, EDF refunded after I sent them receipt and key.

Again to say, Thank You.