• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Zebbydog v Yb ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Continuing on from my thread in the welcome forum.Right here is what I intend to do now.I am doing this on behalf of my girlfriend Chelle.Been having a look at her finances and she also has a visa card with YB and an outstanding balance of about £900.She has been getting hit with a regular £25 late payment fee.If she pays up on time she gets hit with charges on the current account,when her wages go in.I intend to go to the bank today and pay the outstanding charge on the card.This will effectively close the account as she cut up the card two years ago(but they dont know this).But first a couple of questions.I intend to hit them first over the visa card charges.Can they threaten to close the current account,because we are hitting them over the visa account?

Will the fact that we have a claim in for unfair charges on the visa have any effect when I hit them for the current account?I intend to send the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) this week and what I would like to know is,do I send the standard letter in the library mentioning manual intervention,because from time to time they ring her to remind that the minimum payment is due on the card.Any thoughts appreciated:rolleyes:

;) If this helps please click the scales bottom left

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Zebbydog (& GF Chelle!)

My Mum has her current account with YB as well and we are persuing them for charges made to her YB Visa, they have not (as yet!) threatened any action to the current account, and infact this type of retaliatory action is not being looked on very favourably.

Definately sent the letter including the paragraph about manual intervention, I would v much doubt that they would admit to anything manual other than phone calls but you never quite know with YB! Dont forget to send it recorded (I am assuming to Leeds - Credit Card Head Office? Or your local branch?) so that you can track it on-line, print off the delivery ticket and keep it with copies of the letters. Its amazing how much post 'seems' to be going 'missing'.

By the way, a very warm welcome!

Rachel

Doing this on behalf of my lovely Mum!!

LTSB No1 - £200+£31.70+£30 = £261.70 COURT DATE SET 8TH NOVEMBER 2006

LTSB No2 - £423 +£124.16+£80 = £627.16 DEFAULT JUDGEMENT GRANTED DUE TO NO SHOW FROM LTSB

Yorkshire - £498+£102.64+£80 = £680.64 COURT DATE TO BE ADVISED - ALLOCATED TO SMALL CLAIMS TRACK

Citi - £1600+£361.46+£120 = £2081.46 CHEQUE RECEIVED F&F SETTLEMENT 07.06.06

Thanks for that.I have just been into the branch and after 20 mins in the the queue,was told they would only accept a cheque or cash(wont accept my card):-x My fault really,should have taken my cheque book with me.She will now have to ring them to find outstanding balance as they wouldnt discuss it with me:o

Under the Data Protection Act they couldn't legally discuss your gf's account with you.

I suggest your girlfriend rings YB Visa and asks for the statement date to be changed to a few days later so that her wages will be in the bank when payment is due. Most organisations will do this.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Under the Data Protection Act they couldn't legally discuss your gf's account with you.

I suggest your girlfriend rings YB Visa and asks for the statement date to be changed to a few days later so that her wages will be in the bank when payment is due. Most organisations will do this.

Ok she rang them and got the total figure for the card balance.I have now paid this off in total and got a receiptso the account is effectively closed(although they dont know that).

Interestingly,I myself have had a letter today about my own card with American Express (no isssues with them) It says that they are have now reduced their charge for late payment from £20 to £8 and basicall all other £20 charges reduced to £8.:o So it looks like the big boys are starting to run scared.Time to give YB Visa a kicking.SAR going off this weekend;)

Hi

Could you let me know how you get on and vice versa as I am in exactly the same position.

We have closed my partners Visa account and are claiming back charges etc. He also has his current account with them, which I am also claiming charges back on. The initial DSR letters have been sent and I have heard back from current account saying i will get them in the allowed 40 days. Visa DSR letter only sent today.

Good luck with them, hope we both get our partners charges back, and they buy us a nice present as a result! haha

Claire

Hi

Halifax plc - £1600 WON - received

Halifax plc - £925 WON - received

Halifax plc £370.00 WON - received

Yorkshire Bank - £1290 WON - received for boyfriend

Back to sort out Credit File and get back on track!

HAVE FAITH AND KEEP GOING :p

Hi

Could you let me know how you get on and vice versa as I am in exactly the same position.

We have closed my partners Visa account and are claiming back charges etc. He also has his current account with them, which I am also claiming charges back on. The initial DSR letters have been sent and I have heard back from current account saying i will get them in the allowed 40 days. Visa DSR letter only sent today.

Good luck with them, hope we both get our partners charges back, and they buy us a nice present as a result! haha

Claire

Hi

Ok Claire,will do.Sending them the SAR this weekend

Ok gonna do SAR for Visa account this weekend.One question the address in Leeds is box no.Will it be ok to send it there recorded delivery,will there be someone to sign for it?

I think it will be ok but you could save the expense and get a certificate of posting for free.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I don't think it would make much difference, but if you only deal with visa maybe it should be them.

The SAR applies to the subject which is you. If you have a number of different products or accounts with the same organisation you only need to send one SAR and list all the relevant account numbers.

Oh I didnt realise that.There is the Visa account and the current account.So do I send the SAR listing both account numbers and one cheque for £10? If so, I presume that I send it to the manager at the local branch where the current account is held.Rather than making two claims,one against the current account and one against card services

Yes that would be fine. I think the YB Visa is still administered by the bank so it shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Folks

Latest update.Sent in the SAR for my girlfriends current acc and Visa acc statements to local branch of YB last Monday.Gf received a reply from Clydesdale today.I must say I havent seen this one before.Letter as follows.

Dear Mrs xxxx

SAR Data Protection act

Thank you for your recent leter in view of your request for details of bank charges.We can confirm that the bank shall be able to supply you with your bank statements from August 2000 which will detail your transactions/ charges.Which is where such information is stored.Before proceeding with your request we require a certified copy of your driving licence or passport.these documents can be certified at your local branch.Please note that we will not cash your cheque until we receive the documentation requested.We look forward to hearing fom you and if you require further assitance,please do not hesitate to contact your local branch.

Yours sincerely

Leyanne Gallagher

Network support.

A new twist or what?.They didnt require these docs when slapping the charges on or last week when I paid in over £840 to clear the Visa account

I have seen other banks do this, but no doubt YB send letters and statements to your gf's address so I don't see why the information requested should be a problem. There is nothing different on offer than has been previously supplied. I notice they are only offering statements which is normal for them, but you could remind them that you are also requesting information on manual intervention, notes etc.

The choices are to argue the point or do as they ask. Either way I suggest that you remind them that the 40 days start from when they received the payment, and whether they choose to bank the cheque now or later, the same deadline will apply.

Just another delaying tactic. You will get used to it.

Thanks Caro

My thoughts as well.I think they would like us to argue the point to cause a delay.So We will comply with their request on monday.Do you think it would be reasonable to ask for an aknowlegement once they have seen the passport?

It looks like the passport needs taking to the branch for them to make a certified copy, so maybe you could ask for a copy of what they are using with the date and a signature of someone from the branch. The branch is part of the bank so at that stage the bank will have seen the passport. You will have to leave it until Tuesday due to the bank holiday on Monday.;)

Passport now certified at local branch and hand delivered today at same branch with a request for copies of all statements relating to both accounts.Lets see how long it takes.They have until october 2nd to comply.;)

I know we were at similar stages previously, however we received a letter back from Leyanne also, stating the statements would be with us within 40 days, as this is the time they had to comply. No request for id or anything, which is suprising considering we moved house not so long ago, and until recently they still had my partners old addres!!! One rule for one and one for another!!

Statements still not here however - our DPA deadline expires 25/09.

Hope you have a bit more luck with them now!

Claire

• 2 weeks later...

Received statements for Gfs Visa account today along with a letter from network support saying that bank statements to follow when they receive them.I will go through the visa statements later today and tot up the damage.The question now is do I send the prelim letter and start the claim in respect of the visa account.Or should I wait for the bank account statements to arrive,put the whole lot together and make one claim for both accounts:confused:

Prelim letter sent today,claiming back charges of £658 in respect of the visa account.The statements arrived today for the current account,but havent had time to go through them yet.It will be the weekend end before I get the chance to do this and get the schedule of charges printed out with another prelim letter.If I so wish,can I then send an LBA claiming for both sets of charges after they fob us off? or would it be better to keep both claims separate:confused:

Similar letter received here. Boyfriends Visa Stats received - £359 in charges. Bank Stats to follow, not received yet, but presume they will be here in next few days.

Seems they are working at same speed with us.

Maybe we'll get our partners money back at same time!

Current acc statements at first rough estimate are £2400:o Still not sure if to make two claims or lump it all together.I was wondering if it may be a bit easier with the Visa as they had their fingers rapped over late fees by the OFT.Or am I dreaming and they will be just as awkward over this account:?