Zero Hour contract to be forced on us?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all.

On Friday we were told verbally that the staff in our shop, which is part of a national chain, would soon all have their contract changed to a 'Zero hour contract'. Anyone not agreeing to this change would be placed on a "Leavers Contract" (I assume this means to be sacked asap). This only affects the store where we work and is not being rolled out at any other store within the company. We have not had anything in writing yet but the implication is that this will happen no matter what we say. I have a 29 hour contract at the moment (which has been conveniently lost by HR when they moved them from paper to electronic). I may have a copy of my old contract somewhere but I have moved house since then so am unsure on this. I have been with this company 6+ years and am a member of the GMB Union.

So, basically..

1. Can they enforce this contract change on just the few employees and without consulting us to it beforehand?

2. Do we have the right to say no without losing our jobs? (my partner says it could be classed as constructive dismissal if they did)

3. What happens with regards Tax Credits and benefits who may need certain hours to qualify for extra premiums etc?

Any help, advice or clarification on this matter would be gratefully accepted. Thankyou.

Still no update on the contract change and we are still waiting for anything in writing. My Partner has stated that they cannot just change our contracts but that they have to consult with us first. He has also said that if I do not agree to the change then they can change it anyway but that effectively means they have to make me redundant (hopefully with payment to that effect) and offer me the job back on the new contract. If this is still unacceptable to me then I can follow the Appeals and Tribunal process..

Is this correct?

No they cant force this change without the risk of being challenged in court/ET. speak to union or ACAS. They could make you redundant, but that can be challenged if it is just an excuse to change emplyees. you would only get about 2.5k max. for six years.