• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Another Battle With HSBC Begins!***WON ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to all, I am relatively new to this site and have been reading with great interest all the various battles with banks etc and how to get these unfair charges back! Good luck to everybody and well done to all those who have been successful so far!

So my story with HSBC begins and I must say I am hopeful, boosted by all the encouragement from users here who have had the same misfortune as I to be charged unfairly.

Luckily I had all my statements so I filled out the spreadsheet and sent of my letter requesting all charges refunded, along with my wife. I posted out the prelimianary letter on the 5th August, I got a very standard letter back from them on the 10th saying 'we're looking into it'. Ok...

Then on the 12th of August I received a letter from Mr David L Johnson of HSBC saying I wasn't entitled to any kind of refund and an explantion that all cheque books, cards etc were all issued free and that charges were all valid and still stand. So... my next step is to send the LBA but I have a question and I really hope someone can help here.

I received their letter within the 14 day deadline saying no refund is due, do I still have to hang fire until the 14 days are up to send the second letter to them? I have read the FAQs and it seems to be the case, I was just wondering, seeing as I had heard already, if I could progress to the next stage yet? Oh, and my wife, who sent her prelim out at the same time as me, hasn't heard a peep from HSBC, I wonder if it is because my claim (£2,219.20) is smaller then hers (£3827.44)...? A real mystery eh? Any help greatly appreciated and received with thanks.

I'll keep you posted as to the progress of our HSBC fight and once again good luck to all in the middle of theirs and well done to those who have been successful!

Mr B

WON!

Cahoot - Prelim 18/8/06 - LBA 1/9/06 - MCOL 15/9/06

GE Money - Prelim 10/8/06 - LBA 1/9/06 - Cheque arrives 7/9/06

HSBC - Prelim 5/8/06 - 10/8/06 - LBA 18/8/06 - Partial offer 24/8/06: Rejected - MCOL 7/9/06 - 21/9/06 Full Offer & Confidential.

Wait the 14 days its better this way 1) its shows the court you have given the bank ample opportunity to comply and 2) its what you stated in the 1st letter and shows that you mean what you say.

Hope this helps

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

rdm2006,

Thanks for your reply! That's kinda what I was thinking and I know it's really the best thing to do, I was trying not to jump the gun as these clowns have really irked me (the polite word I'll use for what they have done to me over the years) and now I want payback!

Thankyou once again,

Mr B

WON!

HSBC - Prelim 5/8/06 - 10/8/06 - LBA 18/8/06 - Partial offer 24/8/06: Rejected - MCOL 7/9/06 - 21/9/06 Full Offer & Confidential.

welcome to the site by the way

If you have problems finding things click on the link to the user guide below it has links to most things

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

welcome to the site by the way

If you have problems finding things click on the link to the user guide below it has links to most things

Thanks for the info and thanks for the welcome too, I think this site will be my new home for quite a while! :D

Now all I have to do is hang on for the 18th of August to get my LBA out to HSBC, I have it already drafted and ready to roll...

Oh, just to let people know, my wife and I sent out 3 seperate letters to various addresses:

David Walker

HSBC Customer Support

Customer Services Centre Edinburgh

11-12 Lochside Place,

Edinburgh Park

Edinburgh EH12 9HA.

The Manager

Service Quality Team

HSBC Bank plc

Arlington Business Centre

Millshaw Park Lane

Leeds

LS11 0PP

Mr M Bowden

Customer Service Manager

HSBC Bank plc

Customer Credit Services

Sheffield

S1 2US

The one in BOLD below is the one I had my responses from:

HSBC Bank Plc

Customer Credit Services

PO Box 1321

Sheffield

S1 2US

So it might be worth giving it a go!

All the best,

Mr B

WON!

Hi there guys

Am in the same boat as you by the looks .... Sent the letter with my breakdown (as i didn't have to request my statements and all that) and got a 'we are looking into your complaint' letter the other week and then a 'we dont agree and you are getting zip' letter last thursday (just within the 14 days of sending my 'give me my money you *****ing bankers' letter to them)

you refer to sending a second letter - what are you thinking on the wording of this ?? what are these on-line money claims i have seen referred to instead of trotting down to the county courts ?

just for background - have a current account which i have been charged for going into overdraft on (usually by not much and only for a couple of days) - eg the last one i went over by £28 on a saturday and was charged £25, and i cleared the lot when my pay went in on monday........ hmmmm.

thanks for any help - this site is really motivating and my friends are anxiously awaiting to see if i am triumphant so i can them persuade them to do the same !!

Marice

MOD ** Please Don't Post Potentially Libellous Comments - Thanks **

The second letter is the "Letter before action" which you can find in the templates ection. You need to insert numbers and amend accordingly, but it's quite an easy process. Moneclaim is the online claims process that you need to complete when they don't reply to you LBA! again, there are links to it and a guide on how to use it in the templates section.

• Confused 1

28/07/06 - Prelim letter sent to HSBC for £3648

31/07/06 - Letter rec'd at HSBC

14/08/06 - LBA sent to HSBC

16/08/06 - LBA rec'd at HSBC

22/08/06 - Finally!! first reply from HSBC offering £2000

23/08/06 - Letter to HSBC declining offer, saying I want ALL my money!!

31/08/06 - MCOL filed for £4551.96, to be deemed served on 06/09/06

05/09/06 - HSBC Acknowledge claim

22/09/06 - DG Solicitors offer full amount in settlement, I accept!!

27/09/06 - Full amount paid into my acount

28/09/06 - Full amount taken out of my account!!!!!:mad:

29/09/06 - Cheque arrives, FOR SOMEBODY ELSE!! with all their account details in a letter adressed to me!!!

29/09/06 - HSBC refuse to pay money back into my account

If I have been of any help, please click on the scales in the top right corner! :)

Right then, deadline number 1 is up tomorrow and I have my LBA all ready to post out in the morning! It includes extra charges too, can't wait!

Just checked my HSBC current account too and it seems they have banked a cheque I sent them for the DPA request on my HSBC Gold Card account! Don't they ever stop?????

My *hit list so far includes:

HSBC Current Acc - Prelim sent 04/08/06 - LBA out 18/08/06

HSBC Gold Card Acc - DPA Request sent 10/08/06

Morgan Stanley - DPA Request sent 10/08/06

MBNA - Awaiting full statements any day now!

Capital One - DPA request sent 10/08/06

Egg - DPA Request sent 10/08/06

Paragon - Statement of (closed) account received FOC! Prelim out 18/08/06

Cahoot - Awaiting statement of (closed) account - they said it was free too!

Ps: How do you get the signature thingy at the bottom to happen so I can lump this list in there?

WON!

Go to user CP at top left of screen (just above posts) then go to edit signature.

Many thanks for that.

Right, my LBA has been sent off to HSBC today, lets see what happens next...

WON!

Well well well... LBA's sent off Friday the 18th August, just checked Royal Mail and they were delivered yesterday. And then comes a letter today from HSBC in reply to my our joint acc prelim letter dated the 4th August. Funny that, no reply at all (I got two in less then a week for my own acc) and then as soon as the LBA's arrive at HSBC Towers we get the letter about our joint acc today saying:

'The bank does not agree with your contention that the charges that have been imposed constitute a penalty and are therefore unenforcable...' Hmm. Really?

Maybe the letters crossed over in the post but this latest letter represents 'our final response on this matter'. Well, it doesn't represnt our final response so roll on 1st September when the LBA's both expire! Yeeeehar!

KJB

WON!

Oh, and the latest letter is from Colin Langdale too, does that mean I am getting closer to getting my money back...?

WON!

Every day that goes by.........:p

Every day indeed... Well, Mr Postman has just delivered a letter from Mr Langdale offering a settlement figure which is £533 less then the full amount. Ok, I will accept but as partial settlement but chase the rest in court. Over to you HSBC!

WON!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, hello again. You did better than i did, they have credited my account with £100 "in view of the time I have devoted to my query", and told me to sod off. My claim was for £1542.00. The two weeks from when i sent the LBA was on friday so this came in right on the button. Will now investigate the MCOL business....... good luck with yours, mj

What address do i use for the bank on my MCOL ? the online system doesn't seem to like the S1 2US postcode i have used ofr my letters ??

I'd use their Canada Square address, it is listed on the MCOL site. I have filed my MCOL using that address but not sent it yet as funds aint what they used to be so I am trying to go via the courts using hard copies of the N1. I am disputing a managed loan with them and they won't defer payments while it is being looked at. If they had I'd have sent my MCOL on Saturday! The scumbags have cleaned me out - again. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So Idropped my claim forms off today for two seperate accounts (my wife and my own) and the charges are stacking up nicely as is the interest! Good for us but why don't the banks realise that by prolonging the payout they are simply having to spring for more money in the long run? I know they are hoping we'll be quiet and go away but after making me an offer they just went all quiet themselves and I ain't heard a peep out of them since the 24th August.

So now we are at the court stage (pending the CC looking at my request for exemption from payment as I really can't afford it thanks to you know who grabbing money when I needed it most), lets see what happens next... Fingers crossed!

WON!

What a great feeling... I filed my MCOL today! I must say I had to play Guns N Roses' 'Get In The Ring' at substantial volume to celebrate! Woohoo, here we go, hopefully the last leg of a very interesting journey has begun...

WON!

Exciting times folks! Received my Notice Of Issue from the court for my claim against HSBC! It is deemed served on the 13th September and they have until the 27th to respond! I can't wait, it's getting nail bittting now! Just counting the days... Fingers crossed!

WON!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I won! :D :D :D :D :D Got a letter offering full settlement yesterday! Woohoo! I did, however, sign and return without the confidentiality bit crossed out as I really don't need any more delays holding up my money! Besides, it's not too hard to fund out what I claimed....:D

A donation will be heading this site's way as soon as it clears into my account! A big thankyou for all the info and advice from everyone and it just goes to show you, you'll get there in the end! Do not be pushed by the banks, take the fight to them and get it all back!

KJB

WON!

Quick Q... How do I get the magical word 'WON' in the header...?

WON!

CONGRATULATIONS KB !!!!!

Well done.

Just a reminder to anyone who signs as full and final with confidentiality,please remember that this restricts you from disclosing any details further either here or elsewhere,and the consequences of doing so would be very serious.If you know that someone HAS signed,then please do not embarras them by asking !

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

CONGRATULATIONS KB !!!!!

Well done.

Just a reminder to anyone who signs as full and final with confidentiality,please remember that this restricts you from disclosing any details further either here or elsewhere,and the consequences of doing so would be very serious.If you know that someone HAS signed,then please do not embarras them by asking !

Ta very much! And thanks again to this amazing site! Now for the rest...!

Keep up the good work everybody, you'll get there in the end!

KJB

WON!