Are back to work sessions manditory

ccridersuz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi peeps,

I am hoping someone can give me some advise, I missed a back to work session and was sent a form to fill in explaining why I missed the session. I missed a Tuesday session and filled in the form to say I had picked up mum-in-law from the hospital, afterwards I realised I did that on the Wednesday. I had in fact thought my session was the following Tuesday. Now I have received a questionnaire, listing the following questions. The answer's are penciled in at the moment.

1>You have stated that you failed to attendyour back to work session on 7/10/09 as you had to collect your mother-in-law from the hospital. Our records indicate that you are claiming as a single person. Can you please explain this contradiction?

My answer:- Actually a mistake was made and this took place on the 8/10/09 - My husband having walked out, does not reflect that my son's have a doting nana, aunties and uncles as well as cousins. I am on good terms with everybody else, it's the ex -husband who's the problem!.

2> From which hospital were you collecting your mother-in-law - Not relevant see answer to 1st question.

3> At what time did you arrive at the hospital to collect her? - Not relevant see answer to 1st question

4> At what time did you leave the hospital? - Not relevant see answer to 1st question.

5> What method of transport did you use? - Not relevant see answer to 1st question

6> Why did you agree to collect your mother-in-law when you knew that you would be required to attend your back to work session? - I was asked by another member of the family. I had totally forgotten, as I had thought it was the following Tuesday. I had marked my calender wrongly.

7> What attempts did you make to arrange for someone else to collect her? If none state why not - I was asked as it was sudden and unexpected, and other family members had work committments or no transport.

I had no idea that the benefits office had such powers as to ask for an inventory of my movements. The Letter is from Caerphilly LM DMA Sector Office!!!! can anyone give me a clue as to what the LM DMA means?

I had no idea that my attending this back to work session was manditory??? I have another session lined up for next week

which I will remember!!!

Can they stop my benefit's for not attending?? surely it's not that easy for them just to stop benefits?

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Cheers Suzanne

Yes they are mandatory. Failure to attend can result in your benefit being sanctioned or terminated. LM stands for "Labour Market", DMA stands for "Decision Making and Appeals", so, the letter is from the office which processes and pays your benefit.

The questionairre you complete will go to a Decision Maker who will decide based on your answers whether you had "good cause" in failing to attend. If they decide that you did have good cause, your benefit claim will continue. If they decide you did not have good cause, they may sanction or terminate your claim.

Most cases where a person got the date wrong are usually not considered good cause.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Well, after all that I've just attended the Back to Work Session, was not impressed, it took me longer to get there than the session it'self!!! started at 2pm had finished by 2.10!! A lot of angry people, as some had travelled miles. We were all told it would take about an hour, I was one of the lucky one's a I was local but still spent 35minutes on the bus (you know the sort, they go the scenic route instead of straighforward A to B). I think I will be writing to the DWP and complaining, because like people say "it covered all that they could tell you when you sign on".

Just got to wait and see what action my letter produces.

I once rang and tried to rearrange an appointment by half an hour as I had a doctors appointment at the same time. They did agree to it in the end but quizzed me. If i was in work they would allow me time off to go to a doctors appointment - maybe the JC think the same way ie will only allow you to do things that an employer would.