• Tweets

• DN is ok DCA NOA is ok, though not one from Newday saying they've sold it. agreement states esigned on a sunday at 11am?? really??  but no typed names or tick box nor any IP address used. if the date is correct then poss ok, it that your correct address for that time of take out? but if not, then that could simply be a copy of someone elses they've used with you details copy'n'pasted over theirs. the agreement details separate T&C's in at least 8.4. a full set of T&C containing your correct address for the time MUST be included. failure renders the agreement unenforceable... have you the T&C's too? dx
    • Npower and Scottish Power and others have always had regulations that require them to treat customers fairly - the threads here and my experiences demonstrate that those regs are little more than useless.   Even Octopus recently spent month after month saying they needed to increase my monthly payments despite my credit balance slowly going up TWICE I had to reset it online back to prior payment as they unilaterally increased it unilaterally. Raised formal complaint and they than said i was paying too much and reduced the payment, again without my agreement, although that time at least they told me they were doing it.   .. and Octopus has been one of the better ones.    
    • Thank you. You left all your personal details showing on the invoice, but I've removed them. From Googling it seems the free parking is limited to one hour.  You stayed two.  There is no point appealing, you did overstay.  That's apart from the fact the private parking companies are just interested in £££££ and never accept appeals. We have other Iceland cases, Iceland as a company refuse to have these invoices cancelled. So it's up to you. Pay £51 and the matter goes away. Or refuse to pay.  Horizon very rarely do court.  We would support you all the way. 
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

E & L pet insurance

Mrs E Blackadder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm just wondering whether or not anyone has had any dealings with E & L insurance and if the experience was a positive one.

I have my moggies insured with E & L but I'm getting really fed up with the company constantly adding things to the monthly premiums that you have to say you don't want or they just take the money. I was paying £5.80 for one of my cats and by the time they had finished adding on bits and pieces (none of which actually made my insurance any better, it was for things like joining a club that gave me discounts on items like saddles and bottles of wine!) the premium had gone up to over £12 (YES, TWELVE POUNDS) a month for the one moggie. I emailed them (as you can never get through on the phone) and told them that I certainly didn't want any of these things added, and they did stop them.

However, the final straw came the other day when I checked my banking online and found two payments made to an organisation called something like The Animal Charity, for 94p each. I rang the bank immediately who said that they were both DDs and that I would have set them up. I said that I certainly hadn't so the woman went off to look, and when she came back she admitted that they had nothing at all from me setting up DDs for this. It would appear the E & L Insurance have set up these DDs without my permission. I am, frankly, appalled. They might only be for 94p each, but I have never given my permission so who the hell do they think they are? I can only assume that it is another one of their little 'add ons' that is hidden somewhere in the small print, so tucked away that they hope you don't spot it. My bank immediately reversed the payments but I was told to check the account regularly as the request for them could easily be re-presented.

I am now thinking of cancelling my insurance with E&L as it is becoming a right pain in the a*se. I have also read that a lot of vets don't want to deal with them as they are renowned for not paying out. If this is the case I would rather pay a little more and take my business elsewhere (Tesco pet insurance gave me a very reasonable quote).

Just wondered if any one else has found E&L to be a bit of a pain.

Hi

Do a search because I'm fairly certain I've seen a thread on here about E&L - if it is them you need to change your insurance asap as they're known for not paying out when you claim. Sorry, didn't subscribe to it so don't have a link, just remember seeing it. Must be under insurance.

My insurance is Sainsbury's - I have the lifetime cover which is expensive but they do the cheaper/less cover policies too. They had offer on about a month ago when I added the kitten where you get £30 of sainsbury's vouchers after a year and 3 months free for first year. I've claimed twice on Sainsbury's policies for 2 of my other cats and they've paid out pretty fast both times.

It was the best policy/value for money when I went with them but that was about 5 years ago so there may be better deals now. I changed from PetPlan because it was offering the same cover for less.

Just read your post again and I'm not paying £12 for a 7 year old male Norwegian Forest cat on lifetime cover which is the top policy - think he's about £9/10 ish a month - gets a bit confusing as I get discount for 4 cats with them. Toms are more expensive than she cats as well so I pay less for my other cats.

Thanks for the info. I will have a hunt around and see if I can find a thread relating to E&L.

There's precious little point in paying these people anything if they aren't going to pay out in the event of a claim. I know I'm on a tight budget but I would rather pay a couple of pounds a month more to another insurer if they are going to pay out when required.

I don't know how old your cat is or whether you've had previous claims for him/her, but I don't think you'll have to pay more elsewhere if you're currently paying £12.

I managed to get the premium back down to £6. The rest of the amount was made up of things they had added that weren't actually part of the insurance. It is obviously their way of conning you out of extra money each month. You really do have to keep a very close eye on what they send you, because they are always making you 'special offers' but manage to hide important information (such as how to cancel these offers) on the backs of letters in very small writing.

I'm hoping that someone like Tesco or Sainsburys will just insure my pets. Simple as! No more special offers or setting up direct debits without my permission.

I seem to remember the other posts I've seen somewhere saying E&L were cheapest on a search - but that's probably how they do it, give cheap quotes to get you in and then add bits on and hope you don't notice.

I did look at Tesco's years ago but ended up going with Sainsbury's, don't know if it was price or cover that made my mind up. The thing with the supermarkets is that they're scared of bad publicity so you wouldn't get the E&L type scenario with them. I think people said that when they did pay out it took them months. but I'm sure you'll get loads of posts tomorrow about them from the people they've messed about.

Yes, will be interesting to hear other people's experiences.

I am only looking for basic cover and Tesco quoted me just over £20 a month for all 3, ranging from 3 to 8 years, 2 toms and a lady. I am currently paying around £18 (if you don't include all the things they try desperately to add on!) but would rather pay the extra couple of pounds if it means resting secure in the knowledge that I won't have a battle on my hands should I ever need to claim.

It sounds OK, especially as one is 8. And some charge more for toms. What's the excess like? Maybe people with Tesco insurance will comment tomorrow about what they're like at paying out.

Try Sainsbury's though, if that offer I got for the kitten is still on it will bring it down.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thanks Ida. Had a read through the thread and it's not exactly an advert for good customer service is it? Some of if made for sad reading.

I had to contact E&L this morning as they sent me two quite obnoxious letters about the same thing, demanding to know why my membership to the National Pet Register remaind unpaid despite them writing to me about it previously.

It took ages to get through but when I did I told the girl that a) I had already informed them by email that I did not want any registration to the National Pet Register, b) they had never written to me wanting to know why I had not paid and c) I was appalled that they had the audacity to set up a direct debit without my permission and had taken the money anyway. So, actually I had paid (without my permission) and the only reason they had written now was because I had cancelled the opportunity for them to rob my bank account. You could almost hear her yawning and her eyes rolling in their sockets as I spoke! She did, however, cancel the 'registration'.

I am going to have a good check over the weekend of what else is available that I can afford, and as soon as I can I am going to cancel my insurance with them. All I want is a basic cover that would cover the cost of anything large like an operation, but the whole point of the insurance is to pay out because I can't manage a large lump sum. No point dealing with E&L if the vets won't deal with them direct and I can't afford to pay out and then have to claim back.

Sorry E&L but you are just too complicated an organisation for me to deal with. I don't need loads of confusing paperwork from you, which is all I seem to get. I don't require any special deals that are actually costing me money I don't have each month, and when I contact you to say that I don't want these things, then I expect you to take notice.

No point dealing with E&L if the vets won't deal with them direct and I can't afford to pay out and then have to claim back.

My vets will only deal direct with Petplan and one other (might be PDSA) - so your starting point might have to be your vet to see who they will deal with direct if you don't want to pay upfront and then reclaim.

Saying that I've been with my vet for years and am a good customer (having 5 cats) so they'd be happy to wait a week or so for their money as they know me. You can ask the insurance companies to make the cheque payable to the vet and the vet will know this as they sign the form off and post it. Again, ask your vet if he'd be happy with this arrangement - they'll want you to pay the excess straightaway though.

All I want is a basic cover that would cover the cost of anything large like an operation

It is worth reading my review Pet Insurance, Know what you're buying before you decide anything. There are different types of cover and there is a company who will cover for vets fees only. Any quotes you get will make a lot more sense once you know what you're paying for.

It is worth reading my review Pet Insurance, Know what you're buying before you decide anything. There are different types of cover and there is a company who will cover for vets fees only. Any quotes you get will make a lot more sense once you know what you're paying for.

Thanks, will definately have a look at that. It is confusing to say the least, but anything that helps make things a bit clearer is well worth it.

I had a look on the internet and found the site with pet insurance reviews. I never realised E&L were so extremely poorly thought of! If I had seen that a couple of years back when I first went for the insurance then I would definately have thought twice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi just wanted to warn anybody who has their pet insured with E&L to change insurers as soon as posssible. E&L are notorious for not paying out on claims and most Vets definitely wont do direct claims with them and normally dont hold out much hope for the owner getting reimbursed by them. They will find any excuse not to pay out and their customer service is appalling. Just because they are cheap please please dont waste your money on an insurance company that you cant rely on.

Their treatment per injury is only 12 month limited,they pay very late,they will use any excuse not to pay,their excess is high and they hike the payments if you dont take note of all the letters they send(some 20 pages long).My advice is stay well away from them.

Ive been on here for a while with other problems and just noticed the E and L thread so thought Id post.

We insured our american bulldog through them at 11 quid a month 4 yrs ago then our russel 3 yrs ago at 11 quid.

They sent mail all the time about this and that and in the end I gave them only the breifest of a glance.

We needed to claim re the bulldogs leg and it took 4 months and 6 phone calls after sending them all they asked for(a lot) to get paid out which in the end they did at 75% due to this and that.

Then this year we made a claim for her knee which after 3 months they decided to pay 80 quid from a 265 vet bill as 'a gesture of goodwill' after we complained about it taking too long.

Their reasoning was we didnt tell them straight away of the injury(even though the vet confirmed we waited to see if nature took its course before having treatment)but as the injury was logged at the vet(we paid cash and didnt claim for a 17 quid quick visit at first sign of trouble)it was after their stipulated claim time after the first sign of injury and they wouldnt pay for emergency callout( a reasonable 70 quid for a sunday 8-30pm callout IMO).

When cancelling I noticed the bulldogs insurance had creapt to 26 a month and the russel 23,both supposedly on platimum super something or other insurance which must have been done by them and mentioned in the numerous letters.

I don't know how they keep getting away with it, there are so many people on this site alone who've had problems plus all the vets seem to know how bad they are - do you think everyone should report them to FSA or someone?

Jan

Hi just wanted to warn anybody who has their pet insured with E&L to change insurers as soon as posssible. E&L are notorious for not paying out on claims and most Vets definitely wont do direct claims with them and normally dont hold out much hope for the owner getting reimbursed by them. They will find any excuse not to pay out and their customer service is appalling. Just because they are cheap please please dont waste your money on an insurance company that you cant rely on.

I couldn't agree more, I will never ever use E & L again for either pet or equine insurance. 1stly I had the same problem as the OP with my equine insurance (went from £20 per month to £37 due to add-on's) and to add insult to injury we had a real ordeal with them over the pet insurance.

Whilst insured with direct line my beloved little Manson went missing. In very simplistic terms: phoned direct line, immediately told to start advertising & they would foot the bills, my poor little chap was found dead the next day. I phoned direct line & was unable to speak properly due to being so upset & the girl was fantastic. I didn't even have to send in details about his death to recieve the death benefit, they sent me the cheque & a claim form to sign along with a note saying to complete & return when I felt ready.

After a while I got another cat & insured him with E & L. He went walkabout. Phoned E & L, eventually got through to them to be told he had to be missing for 30 days before they would "consider" refunding advertising costs. I went out of my tree, what good is that? If he'd been stolen he'd be well gone by then (Havana Oriental cat, very nickable). Phoned again the next day to be told ok, you can adcertise now but we will pay for advertising OR death. So, if you advertise & your pet is subsequently found dead you do not recieve the death benefit. Aparently this is all written down somewhere in the small print & no doubt it's also in there somewhere that each & every member of staff is allowed to make the rules up as they go along.

Luckily almost the second I put down the phone from that 2nd call the little scamp started howling at the front door to be let in. Needless to say after a happy reunion I cancelled the DD to E & L as I wasn't so much as prepared to phone them back or email them to cancel the policy. I was completely & utterly disgusted. Back with Direct Line now, more expensive but a sensitive & speedy service at times when a pet is missing or has died is worth it to me. Luckily Cadbury hasn't repeated his adventure since, he stays within 2ft of me at all times.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

• 3 months later...

I have been a vet for 30 years and E & L have had the worst reputation in the business for as long as I remember - so much so that nearly all vets say avoid them like the plaque. Doesn't stop them catching new clients though because they are so cheap - and the reason they are cheap is they avoid paying claims.

A case for the Insurance Ombudsman or the FSA surely?

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't touch E & L with a bargepole!! As far back as 24/25 years ago my friend at the stables went through a total nightmare as they wouldn't pay out for her horse.

Again, around 9 years ago I was at a different stables and they were total morons with another young girl - the horse had seismoiditis - very painful for the horse and (as I recall) not curable. They wanted her to send videos in of her horse trotting etc (or attempting to - due to the pain it was in) to vet its soundness - as they would not take her vets word for it - absolutely ridiculous!!

I can't agree with you more Foxy :mad:

I had a horse who cut a tendon a few years back. We had to take the poor animal straight to Bristol on a bank holiday.

After a two years battle we eventually received 55% of the costs, none of the transport and none of the stabling fee's from Bristol Animal Hospital.

Hightail has writen a very good piece on Vet insureance here :-

The Consumer Forums - Pet Insurance Know what you're buying

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.