• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Welcome Doorstep visit *URGENT*

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4012 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Can anyone help me with this urgently

I have fallen behind with Welcome. They are phoning me constantly and have now found my work number. They were just very rude to my work colleague (thinking she was me). They even phone from personal mobiles so I don't know who is calling.

I just spoke to them and wouldn't confirm my details, so they are sending someone round to my house tonight!

I am about to fax them a telephone harassment letter, but wandered if there is anything I can do to stop them visiting tonight as I am out and don't want my hubby to answer the door.

Thanks

hi,

i have had a similar thing, they said they'll come and collect the cash as my debit card was failing! which must be their problem as i have enough in there and have used it elsewhere.

i said not to come but if they do i just won't answer so he'll have a wasted journey.

can't you ask your hubby to ignore the door?

i am not going in! it is in a building with other comapnies so i will just leave it near by for them to find! i am sure they can't harrass you like this, with the telephone letter it says you only want contact in writing so surely that rules out house visits too!

Here you go, amend to suit. Print a couple of copies out just in case they still come round after you've faxed it off. If they do shove it in their face with a look that tells em you mean it :)

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing. I have noted your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make such an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard & Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384

. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and, if you do so, you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully,

Remember to print your name never sign it.

Grumpy, ring 0161 788 8187. They have a branch-list and they gave me the number. He was really helpful actually.

diwigster - Thank you so much for this. I'll let you know if it works!

tiaposy

dont worry you are in good hands here with postggj and diwigster, dont panick dont speak to them and dont answer the door to them if they do call at your home, now you have found CAG its thier turn to panick.

jdene

Well, they have just called - my account manager is actually alright. He wanted bank statements etc. I just gave him a token payment.

Thanks for the letters - saved me a major problem with my husband.

Under the data protection act dont they have to ask for the person on the account ?

If they ever do turn up at the door unless they ask you for security details dont speak to them & if they do turn up ask them if they have ID. If they ask you a security question just refuse to give the info & shut the door in their face.

end of the month syndrome for welcome this

yep, its that time again for WF to totally ignore my harrasment letter and bang on my door again, still then again, my dog has got a glint in her eye, its time for her monthly WF agent leg bone gnaw! :D

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help on this one.

The guy who rung my office was so rude, i rang him back to tell him but all he kept doing was asking my security details, which I refused to give him. That wound him up!!!

DONT give them your bank statement or fill in an income and expenditure form, they are not entitled to the information and are only fishing to see if you have an 'undisclosed income' that they can leech into.

They are scrabbling around for cash at the moment to pay their wages, so why not ask them for a copy of the bank statement for the account where your money has gone into to prove that the payment has been made... should confuse the hell out of them!

If these muppets do show up as other Caggers have said, give them the letter. If they become aggressive and try and enter your property call the police and also report the matter to OFT and Trading Standards. To enter your property they must have a court order and the police will not assist them in this unless there is an order. If they manage to get into your property and take anything then they have committed a technical burglary but you could definitely successfully prosecute for theft. Is this a secured loan or car finance??

I would send a CCA request and a Subject Access Request. When was the loan taken out? If they cant produce the CCA in 12+2 days then you can place the account in dispute which prevents them from vexatious debt collection.