Natwest screwed with account???

lisalegs11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5304 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello!

I am currently trying to get £852 of charges that Natwest made on my account - I am trying to get them back from British Gas however - as it was 2 unauthorised direct debits which caused all the charges ( i have posted about this before on here, I cancelled the DD in March, but they created new ones and took final bill payments in May). I will try to be as clear as i can, its a bit complicated !

Anyway BG have contacted me to ask for proof that I cancelled the DDs (they say they will pay me the £852 as soon as I do this and they will then chase the bank as BG say the bank is at faut too)

When I went to the bank to do the indemnity claim (after one of the unauthorised DD went out of my account) there were 4 direct debits showing on-line; the original 2 monthly ones of £40 each to BRGAS-GAS and BRGAS-ELECTRICITY, then there were the 2 ones of £700 and £400 approx - these were the 2 I disputed and Natwest reversed the direct debit back into my account - the payee name on these 2 new ones was BRITISH GAS.

I stupidly didn't print off the screen clearly showing the 4 different DD - and now after I have confronted natwest and they did the indemnity reversal - suddenly the 2 original DD have disappeared from my list of DD online!

So all I have to go on to 'prove' that the 2 DD showing are NOT the original ones is that the payee name is different.

At the time I never received the final bills or anything to confirm the DDs had been cancelled (it later turned out that a local postman had been keeping peoples post - as I had some post returned to me from around that period with a letter simply saying it was found after an internal investigation - unfortunately many things I expected to turn up never did - so I cant know if BG sent a confirmation that the original DD were cancelled or not)

So my question is 'does the fact that there is a different payee name prove that it is a different DD' ?

My statement clearly shows monthly DDs of £40 each going to BRGAS-GAS and BRGAS-ELECTRICITY from August to March - then shows in May the final bill amounts to BRITISH GAS.

As you can see I have very little to go on- I suspect Natwest will not be able to give me any help, seeing as they appear to fiddled (however mad it seems that they would, but they have)

Thank you for any help or advice :)

Get the bank to print off on Back Office the List of Direct Debits and furthermore they can also give the dates they were set up as well.

The codes are 04, 29 then 01. They then input "s" on the specific DD and they have the history of it which they can print out including the date it was set up.

No idea why you are talking about indemnities since you are covered under the DD guarantee scheme(not for charges incurred because of it of course) for any amount that went out of your account.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Get the bank to print off on Back Office the List of Direct Debits and furthermore they can also give the dates they were set up as well.

The codes are 04, 29 then 01. They then input "s" on the specific DD and they have the history of it which they can print out including the date it was set up.

No idea why you are talking about indemnities since you are covered under the DD guarantee scheme(not for charges incurred because of it of course) for any amount that went out of your account.

sorry maybe I used the wrong term, I thought it was an indemnity claim when they reversed the DD and put the funds back in my account.

thank you for the reply, I will see my bank on Monday about what you said.

sorry maybe I used the wrong term, I thought it was an indemnity claim when they reversed the DD and put the funds back in my account.

thank you for the reply, I will see my bank on Monday about what you said.

If it was via a direct debit then the indemnity is done by the bank to the company to recover the funds but for you they recredit you immediately. My only issue is that you said that they reversed this already so slightly lost on the reason why an indemnity is required

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

If it was via a direct debit then the indemnity is done by the bank to the company to recover the funds but for you they recredit you immediately. My only issue is that you said that they reversed this already so slightly lost on the reason why an indemnity is required

its probably me not explaining very well

British gas took £400 odd

Natwest put the money back in my account as I told them that I hadn't authorised the direct debit to be set up. (i thought this bit was the indemnity claim - obviously not)

thats all that happened.

So, natwest have already put the money back or not?

If they haven't then its a Direct Debit Guarantee Scheme that you are using and the bank that has to do the indemnity to British Gas. They have to refund you the money straight away ie the bank.

So, natwest have already put the money back or not?

If they haven't then its a Direct Debit Guarantee Scheme that you are using and the bank that has to do the indemnity to British Gas. They have to refund you the money straight away ie the bank.

Natwest have put the money back, 2 days after I notified them that I hadn't authorised the account. They then got the money back from British Gas.

Natwest told me that any charges caused by the unauthorised DD must be claimed back from BG - that's what I am doing - BG have said they will reimburse if I can send them proof I cancelled the DD. However Natwest appear to have removed all signs of the original 2 DDs.