Competition Prize

Shifter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4387 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

LOL pgh!

I tried the woman at Sandals but she's away until Monday. Will try her again then. I want to speak to the same woman who gave me the verbal confirmation of being able to book into a beaches resort instead.

I emailed the woman at Next yesterday with what you said Sam but not had a reply yet. Doubt I'll get one tbh, she's probably waiting for me to make a move having had this joke of a consolation prize!

Will speak to Sandals first and see what they say. Then if the holiday is definitely a no go I'll draft a letter to Next stating what my expectations of them are.

The woman at Sandals is away AGAIN! I thought I would just get a letter to Next out. Just wondering what to put in it, something along the lines of, thanks for the £25 but I have a firm written offer of a £2000 holiday so I will be needing a considerably bigger alternative, otherwise I will book my holiday with Sandals.

Any other suggestions?

This is what I intend to send:

Dear sir/madam,

In September I received a letter from Sandals congratulating me on winning a 7 night holiday in the Caribbean on behalf of Sandals and Next magazine. I was thrilled to hear this and seeing as I had won the London Fashion Weekend competition I assumed this was connected.

A few weeks later I received a phone call from [xxx] advising me that there had been a mistake and that I had not won this prize. She said that she would see what sort of gesture of goodwill could be made to me. Without speaking to me again she issued a gift card worth £25, but did not ascertain whether this was acceptable to me or not.

As I have a firm offer in writing of a holiday worth at least £2000 I cannot accept £25 as full and final settlement. I intend to contact Sandals to book my holiday for next spring if I do not receive a more appropriate alternative offer from you by 1/12/2009.

How does that sound? Anything else I should add or omit?

TIA.

I would exchange that you will take legal advice for the 'I intend to contact Sandals to book my holiday....' bit. You may be fore-warning them sufficiantly enough to concuct some kind of 'arrangement' with Sandals. In the meentime, try Sandals again your self and see what their position is. If they say you can book the holiday then book it. Let Next sort it out afterwards. They will no doubt want to 'buy the holiday back' from you which will put you in a much stronger position. However, as I always advise; contact Consumer Direct first to clarify that the above is appropiate beacuse this is an unusual case!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I'm afraid the letter got sent as was. I finally spoke to the woman at Sandals, she was very surprised to hear from me as Next had contacted her with the "real" winner's details and she assumed the matter was closed. The "real" winner has booked the holiday already and she was very firm on the fact that they had only donated one prize. I told her I was still pursuing it as I had a firm written offer of a holiday and she said that Next would have to buy another holiday.

So now I'm waiting for a reply from Next.

Or should I contact Next again with my own terms? i.e. a family holiday at Beaches or an appropriate value of gift vouchers.

Mmm, very convenient for the lady at Sandals being away giving Next the oppotunity to get in there first as I hinted in my previous post!

While you are waiting for your response from Next, you really should contact Consumer Direct (Trading Standards) if you hav'nt already done so.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Mmm, very convenient for the lady at Sandals being away giving Next the oppotunity to get in there first as I hinted in my previous post!

While you are waiting for your response from Next, you really should contact Consumer Direct (Trading Standards) if you hav'nt already done so.

By the sounds of it Next contacted them right after I last spoke to Sandals, before I raised a fuss, possibly before Next even contacted me in the first place.

Have you contacted Consumer Direct?

Please Note

Hi sam, not yet. I wanted to see what Next came up with... today I received a further £75 gift voucher. My first response was to just accept it, that's £100 total and I don't know if I can bring myself to drag this out. But actually £100 doesn't go very far...

I don't know what to do tbh.

I'll give CD a call and see what they say, it's such a tricky case!

Hi sam, not yet. I wanted to see what Next came up with... today I received a further £75 gift voucher. My first response was to just accept it, that's £100 total and I don't know if I can bring myself to drag this out. But actually £100 doesn't go very far...

I don't know what to do tbh.

I'll give CD a call and see what they say, it's such a tricky case!

Well they should be able to advise you on where you stand legally and as such whether to persue it further. As you say, this is a tricky one!

Be sure to let us know what they advise.

Please Note

Just spoke to CD and they advised that legally it wouldn't be worth pursuing. So I'll just settle for the £100, it's better than nothing!

Thank you for your advice and support :)

Just spoke to CD and they advised that legally it wouldn't be worth pursuing. So I'll just settle for the £100, it's better than nothing!

Thank you for your advice and support :)

No problem... just sorry you couldn't satisfy your dissapointment more adequately.

Please Note