Competition Prize

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, I wasn't sure whether it should go here or in retail.

A few weeks ago I was delighted to win a competition run by Next, the prize was tickets to London Fashion Weekend. Imagine my complete surprise, confusion and delight to receive a brochure from Sandals a few days later with a letter informing me that I had won 7 nights in the Caribbean courtesy of Next!

I assumed this was part of the prize that I had (stupidly!) overlooked.

Sandals is an adults only brand and hubby and I have a 6 month old baby, so I rang the lady who sent the letter and asked if we could take the prize at a Beaches family resort instead (owned by the same people) and she agreed.

A few days later I got a call from Next apologising for the mix up but the holiday was a prize for a separate competition that I hadn't entered. I figured this explained things but couldn't help be disappointed. She was going to speak to her manager and see what they could offer me as a gesture of goodwill. She was going to call me back the next day and that was at the beginning of last week, I haven't heard from her again.

Hubby and I and the few friends I have told about all this agree that as I have something in writing from Sandals offering me the prize it would be very difficult for Next to retract the offer, even though I didn't enter the competition.

But I wanted to get the opinion of people on this forum before I call Sandals to ask for something in writing to confirm that we can take the holiday at Beaches instead!

Sorry for the delay, printer/scanner is out of action, so can't scan it for you. But it basically offers congratulations for winning a Sandals holiday on behalf of Sandals and Next Magazine and goes on to detail what's included and some brief t&c. Should be able to scan it on Saturday.

Sandals is an adults only brand and hubby and I have a 6 month old baby, so I rang the lady who sent the letter and asked if we could take the prize at a Beaches family resort instead (owned by the same people) and she agreed.

I take it you hav'nt had written confirmation of this?

• 3 weeks later...

My name and address are (blacked out) at the top :D

I've had nothing from Next. I emailed the woman I think rang me (I had her email notifying me of the prize I did really win, to London Fashion Weekend) and just asked what was happening. I didn't mention anything they could tie me down to. That was on Tuesday, I've had no response. :confused:

I think I'm actually at the point where I would rather accept some gift vouchers (to the tune of £500+ maybe) what with xmas coming up. The Caribbean is a long way to take a 12-15month old and much as hubby and I could really do with the holiday I would be willing to accept an alternative gesture of goodwill. I just want to know where I stand.

write and ask them, that in your opinion if they made a mistake and that after you have recieved the prize notification it is valid, however has a compromise you are willing to accept whatever you ask for £500 in vouchers

Just had this email from the lady at Next:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It was indeed myself that contacted you. I sent a Next gift card to you the day we spoke. I have tried to track this with Royal Mail but they have advised I will have to put a claim through for a missing delivery. Due to the length of time this has already taken I will request another gift card today and advise when this has been posted.

Really sorry for the inconvenience

This is the first I've heard since she called me a few weeks ago. She has not advised the value on the gift card (maximum £500) nor asked me if this is suitable recompense.

How should I respond?!

Just had this email from the lady at Next:

This is the first I've heard since she called me a few weeks ago. She has not advised the value on the gift card (maximum £500) nor asked me if this is suitable recompense.

How should I respond?!

I would contact Sandals first to ask if you can book your holiday. If they mention there is problem then point out you have a written firm offer of the holiday however, you are willing to discuss a compromise in the form of the vouchers you now want. If they offer less than £500, make it clear you will take legal advise before accepting. See what response you get. In the meantime, simply respond to the email by saying; 'Thank you for your email. Please be advised that I am currently taking advice on the situation and as such any compensation you have made may not be acceptable to me as full and final settlement at this time.'

I think you may wish to consider seeking out a solicitor who specializes in prizes/competitions ect and will give you a free initial consultation.

Let us know how you get on with Sandals.