Barclays Internet banking/Debt - Fair or not?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4219 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As some of you may know, I recently got my debt relief order. One of the accounts on this order is a Barclays account, a loan and a current account.

I had transferred to HSBC when things with Barclays got too hot to try help negoiate my debt at the time. I got my DRO and set up a cash account with Barclays, This was set up fine and no problem.

I tried to set up my internet banking a few weeks account and it kept failing, I thought maybe there is a problem with the site etc. I tried again today and it failed. I thought well I will call the internet banking help desk and ask. I got through and explained, I mentioned error code 81 and he put the phone down on me, I called again, a new person, I mentioned 81, he asked my name and put the phone down. I thought this was very strange, I got through again and explained I had been hung up on 2 times and he said he'd be glad to help.

He said I already had a membership number however I needed to go to branch, he gave me a ref number and said go in and ask them to ring us with this reference number and we can sort it. As I am off work at the moment on a two week holiday, I though great I can go down this afternoon.

I went to branch and the lady had no idea why they had given me a ref or why she needed to ring. She phoned and from what I guessed, they said I can't have internet banking due to my previous account. She asked if they could offer internet banking in the future and I assume the bloke said in the future but not now.

The lady got off the phone and explained they could not offer internet banking because of the mark on my previous account and that they could offer it in the future, could not tell me when though.

I was fuming, I had travelled all the way into town to be embrassed into them saying no and that they could'nt do it. Why could the bloke on the phone earlier tell me this, I wasted £4 in parking and £5 in petrol to go to the branch.

Surely as I am on a cash account, Internet banking is more essential, it makes it easier for me to manage my account and check it on a daily basis. I informed her it was going to be hard as I liked to keep an eye and send payments via the internet banking system, she said there is nothing she can do.

Is it worth writing a letter to make a complaint or should I just wait a few months and try again?

Edited by slick132
put in paragraphs so post can be read

August 2010 - Debt Relief Order Ends! :)

Complaint with FOS re: Bank Charges - Financial Hardship

Email me for advice on DRO/DMP

If I have been of any help, Please tickle my scales

Both the Cooperative & Natwest will allow you a basic a/c with direct debit etc with internet access.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Please keep to one thread per claim/subject.

Multiple posting in different forums will bring you less help not more, because other users will not be prepared to chase you all over the site.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

As I can see, no-one has accually read this.

This is a question, its not a case of if they allow it. This is a individual circumstance. They usually allow access to internet banking HOWEVER as I have a account going through a bankrupcty, They have refused internet banking, I need to manage my account and internet banking is my way of doing it.

Hi MrRW,

I've edited your 1st post with para's to make it more easily readable.

Cerberusalert's suggestion is surely worth investigating. Approach these banks explaining your circumstances and see if they'll allow I/N banking.

Alternatively, write to Barclays to:-

1. Complain about your wasted time and energy going into the branch, caused by the lack of competance of their staff, particularly the calls centre.

2. Enquire as to precisely why you cannot use I/N banking now, and if they perceive a time in the foreseeable future when it will be allowed.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks Slick, I did want to write a letter to complain about wasted time/staff and also to ask about why I can't have this however I wanted to see if it was a common thing when people go bankrupt. I will do a letter and send this off.

Hi again,

You could also try posing your question here - Formal Solutions: Bankruptcy, Administration Orders and IVAs - The Consumer Forums

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)