50p surcharge on groceries under 5quid - Legal?

Thailand
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Peeps,

It seems that now that I am addicted to this site I now bump into potential consumer issues everywhere I go?!

I hope this doesn't seem petty but it really gets my back up. I have just purchased my hangover removal stimulants totalling 3.48 and because I only had my debit card to pay with was told there was a 50p charge - I'd completely forgotten about shopping in this particular establishment if I wasn't carrying cash (the hangover:( ). Oh and the charge applies if you're not spending 5+.

When I lived in Manc many moons ago this charge was 25P.

I'm sure I was told somewhere that this practice is now or always was illegal.

Could somebody let me know how the ground lies on this, because if it is illegal, or doesn't fall within guidelines, I've a mind to help the community around here and send the franchisee a letter.

When I think thats along the lines of an extra 13% mark up for nothing!!

Danke

Thailand,

This charge is lawfull & legal it is a charge for a service-it cost the business terminal fees,process fees for each transaction plus VAT.So for £3.48 the business would proably only get about £3.00 back and on this amount very little profit (which is why the person is in business).

When I think thats along the lines of an extra 13% mark up for nothing!!
-NOT for NOTHING for a service.

As a small business owner we used to take debit and credit cards and impose a 40 pence transaction fee for sales under £20.00 then along came Chip & PIN with which our providers said we had to have terminals with an increase in transaction fees and dearer monthly rental.We decided enough was enough and no longer take any cards -initially customers were annoyed to pay cash -but we are only 500m from an ATM - and now they know we only take cash or cheques with bankers card there is not a problem.

Nationwide Total settlement for first claim £810.92 (Charges £570.00) total charges £2579.00 (Another 4 claims to make)

Tesco personal Finance -NO penalty charges see post end thread

Egg DPA complaint sent to ICO see thread

Egg also trying to get defaults removed

Abbey National/MBNA credit Card - Eventually settled in FULL:)

Citibank Preliminary sent 19/08/06

MBNA DPA sent 30/07/06

Mrs CharlieHo v Providian DPA sent 30/07/06

MORE TO FOLLOW

Advice & opinions of CharlieHo are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Thanks for that charlieho - clears that up. I can understand that small businesses would need to cover thier costs. I will be sure to go to coop down the road though, as they dont charge! Maybe the huge costcutter franchisee

knows thier on a winner.

Or maybe i'm too sceptical

• 2 years later...
I'm sure I was told somewhere that this practice is now or always was illegal.

My recollection (which may be incorrect) is that the merchant's were prohibited from charging more for a card transaction but many (15? 20?) years ago this prohitition was lifted - not sure if the prohibition was found to be unlawful or just the regulations changed to allow different prices for different payment methods.

Halifax (current accounts, credit card, old mortgage, secured loan)

thread here

MBNA (three credit cards)

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

they've sold my current account. thread here.

Royal Mail

Claim issued by former employer Royal Mail, thread here.

I counterclaimed and won. They paid in full.

For a shop owner Streamline have various tariffs for the chip and pin machines, there is a monthly rental and also transaction charges. Credit cards cost the shop a different rate to debit cards. This is why as stated above they will recoup this on lower transactions to help with the cost they incur.

I can get you a Streamline tariff guide to show how much a shop has to pay to provide debit/credit card chip and pin service. Cant see how it can be illegal to charge for a service like this, bit like some cash machines charge to take money out.

I use streamline. There are many different charges, some are a percentage of the transaction, some are a straight fee. On average 26p if its not a percentage. However I am not allowed to charge for taking the transaction. It is there to provide a service but it is also a benefit to both the trader and the customer. There is usually a limit imposed by the trader whereby he or she will not accept a card transaction under a certain amount, maybe £5 or £10. This is fair because there is also the rental of the machine and the phone line rental to be taken into consideration.

A trader does need to cover costs so its understandable that when taking a £5 sale you would not want to lose out. Where I am we have a £5 limit, the machine is not used constantly, we are not like a major store, and each month we divide the rental costs by the number of transactions to see what is the average the machine is costing. We certainly dont lose out by using the machine and there is no reason to pass on a charge for the customer. The machine also helps in terms of banking and carrying cash. I personally would refuse to shop in a shop where they try to impose a charge.