style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3598 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi you have helped me before with a problem with bailiffs but now I have another problem.

we had an outsatnding amount for which the bailiffs refused to set up a payment plan for and said they where going to call, anyway as my o/h suffers from depresion and is under a doctor with peoples help on here we wrote to them with the vunerable letter, they didn't send it back to the council but did agree a payment plan which was ok with us anyway this has now been cleared up but we have had this years sent to them now as the council wouldn't wait for us clear the other up and we couldn't aford both at the same time.

I e-mailed the baliffs office and offered to carry on paying the £200 a month to clear this up they have replyed saying it is not acceptable and they will be calling at our home and will not be entering into any payment plan. we owe £900

What can we do now? I'm sick of being on edge about all this not knowing when they are going to call.

Do we have to resend the vunrable letter?

What if they turn up today? we live on a main road next to a shop so will be embarrising not to let them in.

Please can anyone help?

No expert on your rights, but I wouldnt even bother to answer the door to them if they turn up.

Have you tried ringing the council to explain this to them. Keep making the payments for the time being would be my advice as it shows willing and hopefully someone will be on shortly to give you good advice :D

Hi you have helped me before with a problem with bailiffs but now I have another problem.

we had an outsatnding amount for which the bailiffs refused to set up a payment plan for and said they where going to call, anyway as my o/h suffers from depresion and is under a doctor with peoples help on here we wrote to them with the vunerable letter, they didn't send it back to the council but did agree a payment plan which was ok with us anyway this has now been cleared up but we have had this years sent to them now as the council wouldn't wait for us clear the other up and we couldn't aford both at the same time.

I e-mailed the baliffs office and offered to carry on paying the £200 a month to clear this up they have replyed saying it is not acceptable and they will be calling at our home and will not be entering into any payment plan. we owe £900

What can we do now? I'm sick of being on edge about all this not knowing when they are going to call.

Do we have to resend the vunrable letter?

What if they turn up today? we live on a main road next to a shop so will be embarrising not to let them in.

Please can anyone help?

HAVE YOU let the bailiffs into your home and signed a Walking Possession Order in respect of the latest council-tax bill? If the answer is no, then the bailiffs are powerless and there's no need for you deal with them.

Although the council may not accept a payment plan, they cannot refuse to accept any payments you make to them direct (the best way to do this is by Standing Order. You need to decide how much you can afford, which will probably be less than you are paying the bailiffs, and make regular payments to the council.

Providing that you have never let them into your home or signed a Walking Possession Order, you should refuse to have further dealings with the bailiffs. If they come to your home, ignore them; don't open the door and don't even speak to them. Remember, they are only pretending to have power over you.

One other thing: check their charges, to see by how much they have attempted to over-charge you, which is often (even usually) what bailiffs do, and if you find they have tried to defraud you come back to this site for advice on how you can make them pay you back. The correct charges, when no levy has been made, are: £24.50 for a first visit and £18 for a second. They cannot charge for subsequent calls, no matter how many times they visit.

Thanks for the advice

No they have never been in the house it has only just been passed to them this week.

I think I pay on-line to the council direct but as I have just given the baliff yesterday £300 to clear up the last one I don't have any spare money until next Friday and I think they will call before then.

I am rubbish with confrontation so will find it hard to ignore them plus my daughter mostly gets home before me so she may open the door.

I agree with fairplay77.

Don't let the bailiffs in. Have you had a letter from the council saying that they are taking you to court, or sending the account to bailiffs - if not then send payments to the council via standing order. if they have sent you a reminder bank details will be on the back. If you pay the council then you will not get any further charges added on. good luck.

dustbin

bluestwo

if payments are made to the council, they should let the bailiffs know anyhow. Keep a record of all payments made and how much. If you decide to pay the bailiff when they call, send them back to their car, go indoors, lock the door, get the cash, go out locking the door behind you, go to the car and pay them and get a receipt. The door locking is important as it means that they cannot gain 'peaceful entry' which then ensures that they cannot break in to get goods later. Ensure windows are shut too as peaceful entry includes open windows and doors.

Regarding charges, write to the bailiff company and ask for a detailed breakdown of your account, and a list of charges, they are obliged to do this within 14 days. Keep your own record of when they visit and as you are aware, don't let them in!

• Haha 1

I've found the bank details for the council so if I set up a standing order now to start next friday on a weekly scheme, this is best for us, how can I stop the baliffs until then? Shall I e-mail them and tell them I have set up a s/o with council.

They have not added any charges at the min because they haven't called yet.

I know the council won't agree to me setting one up as I have spoke to them before so it is a waste of time telling them

i've set up the standing order i'm thinking of e-mailing the council to let them know what I have done and that I have done it because the bailiffs won't accept my offer of £200 a month. Do you think they will stop the action if I do?

i've set up the standing order i'm thinking of e-mailing the council to let them know what I have done and that I have done it because the bailiffs won't accept my offer of £200 a month. Do you think they will stop the action if I do?

THERE'S no need to inform the council about the Standing Order. They will find out soon enough!

As for your fears of a confrontation with the bailiff, this is understandable but please believe me when I say that these people are all bluff and bluster and have zero powers as long as you don't let them into your home. After they have found out that you are paying the council direct, they will eventually give up when they find that you are not going to change your mind.

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone for their advice especialy dustbin.

I set up the standing order with the council then emailed them telling them what I had done and why. They have today replied saying they had withdrawn the bailiffs and accepted the offer, not that had much choice.

I also e-mailed the bailiffs and explained what I had done.

I feel 100% better know and don't have to hide all day incase they turn up but I wouldn't have done it with out the great advice on here.

Anyway i'm off to do some cleaning now as I was to scared to do it before incase they knocked I might even turn the music on

Thanks Again x

great news enjoy your music

can i suggest that still get a screesot of both your accounts from the bailiff to check what fees have been added

when a debt is returned to the council that includes bailiffs fees the council pay the fees to the bailiff first before the take there council tax

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone for their advice especialy dustbin.

I set up the standing order with the council then emailed them telling them what I had done and why. They have today replied saying they had withdrawn the bailiffs and accepted the offer, not that had much choice.

I also e-mailed the bailiffs and explained what I had done.

I feel 100% better know and don't have to hide all day incase they turn up but I wouldn't have done it with out the great advice on here.

Anyway i'm off to do some cleaning now as I was to scared to do it before incase they knocked I might even turn the music on

Thanks Again x

This is great. However, I would suggest that you ask them to confirm that no bailiff charges have been applied to your account.

• 4 years later...

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D