Local Housing Allowance (LHA) - entitled to 1 bed flat rate?

Smiley_B
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Would appreciate a bit of advice from those in the know.

I'm living in a shared house (with one other flatmate - we have one bedroom each) and "in between jobs". I am currently claiming JSA and housing benefit (AKA LHA) based on the "shared" rate.

My boyfriend and I are talking about moving in together. If he moved in and we shared a room but also had sole use of the living room (the other flatmate would be fine with this arrangement) can anybody confirm whether I would qualify for the "1 bedroom" LHA housing benefit rate, rather than the shared rate?

Thanks in advance for your input.

You don't live in a 1 bedroom flat so I don't think you would be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate. Do you mean that as your housemate will not be using the living room you and your partner would be paying a larger share of the rent than you do now? If so then you would need to have proof of the rent increase to give to the Council along with your joint HB claim. Although at my Council they assess HB on how many people, whether 2 people share a bedroom and whether there is a difference in bedroom sizes not on a living room.

My boyfriend and I are talking about moving in together. If he moved in and we shared a room but also had sole use of the living room (the other flatmate would be fine with this arrangement) can anybody confirm whether I would qualify for the "1 bedroom" LHA housing benefit rate, rather than the shared rate?

Yes this would work, though your HB would then be assessed on both your incomes. Your JSA could also be affected.

Also it may be hard to show that the other housemate no longer has use of the room, but the 3 of you could each give a statement to this effect.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.