Income based ESA question

geritelmad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Please can anyone help and tell me how much I can earn for my (disabled) husband to be entitled to income based ESA. I know this is means tested and I have to work less than 24 hours per week but I can't find any information how much you are allowed to earn for your partner to be paid it and what benefits they take into account when means testing.

He is not entitled to contribution based as hasn't worked in a while.

TIA

There are many different factors to consider, so I can only give you generalities.

The basic rule is that, provided you work less than 24 hours per week, the application can be considered and income you have from employment will be deducted from the applicable amount he will be paid. This would include an allowance for a couple, and any premiums he would be paid because of his disability. These depend on awards of DLA (Care Component) or Carers Allowance to either of you.

In working out ESA(IR) DLA is fully disregarded. Carers' Allowance is taken into account, but a premium may be payable. Child Tax Credit is fully disregarded, Working Tax Credit is usually taken into account. Any capital that either of you have (savings etc) would also be considered if it totals more than £6000, and may serve to reduce any award of benefit.

So the basic answer is that if you earn more than he (or rather, you as a couple) is entitled to, he won't be paid ESA(IR). To work out how much he might be entitled to, JCP will need to know, among other things:

Does he receive DLA with a care component?

What level of care component?

Does anyone receive Carers' Allowance for him?

Do either of you receive Carers' Allowance for anyone?

Are either of you over state pension age?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.