• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TDS claim counteracted with HUGE counterclaim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

We're just going through the motions of making a claim against our previous landlord.

When we moved out we met with her to inspect the flat, we knew from her reaction that she'd already been in. She cited dirty oven, mould on walls due to damp problem, furniture in different place to when moved in, marks on carpet from settee placement, the way we stored our belongings prior to us moving out (ie against a wall in the bedroom) causing damage and the bedroom now requiring redecorating (so she's been nosing in + it hadn't caused any damage anyway), and fridge door shelves missing as just cause to retain some of our deposit. We were flabbergasted as as far as we were concerned, we were just going over to hand the keys over and receive the deposit back in full.

The landlady said she was going to call an 'oven man' the following day and she would call with that information and the cost of having the carpets cleaned to give us a figure of remaining deposit that would be returned to us. The fridge was old when we moved in (a small under counter type) and she is fully aware we used our large american style fridge freezer for the duration of us being there.

We questioned which deposit scheme our deposit was being held with and she replied 'it's not with a company, I've got the deposit, I'll do what i want with it'. We reminded her that it must be protected, she replied 'no, i've got it.'

After this, she'd called her husband to come round for backup who gave me a mouthful then walked off, leaving us with the keys. She didn't call the following day. We submitted a claim for non-TDS compliance without a LBA as the case was absolute. Our thoughts are initially to return the keys to her registered post.

Her counterclaim list is as follows (which is the first we've heard from her):

Replace door lock to front to flat as the keys have not been returned. plus 3 keys.

Replace the front door lock to flats entrance and supply 30 keys.

Replace carpet to lounge and bedroom and kitchen floor covering.

Replace electric cooker which is beyond cleaning.

Redecorate lounge and bedroom.

Deep clean throughout.

Replace missing bottle shelves in fridge.

Unfortunately, we didn't think to take any photos, as we were unaware of the TDS process. We're going to try and dig anything we've got out, but it's unlikely we'll have anything useful to our case.

What amounts as evidence on the landlord's behalf as, for instance, a carpet requiring replacement? An oven being beyond cleaning and therefor requiring replacement? A lino floor dirty beyond cleaning that requires replacement? How can we prove that this counterclaim is just reactive to us making a claim for TDS non-compliance?

Professional was not mentioned in the contract, though they were all vacuumed to a normal standard and any marks removed (not that there were any significant ones).

We both rent houses ourselves and have just been particularly badly burnt with one tennant leaving the property in an absolute state, but we just got on with it and sorted it. This landlady is making ridiculous claims and I don't know how we can prove that the flat does not require what she has said it requires in court.

Our claim is for £1500, theirs for £3000. We're a little bit scared to say the least!

From her list of complaints, what is actually true?

The figure of £3k for that list, even if all true, is hilarious.

Theywill get laughed out of court for not taking into account FW&T, and they are clearly using betterment.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

From her list of complaints, what is actually true?

The figure of £3k for that list, even if all true, is hilarious.

Theywill get laughed out of court for not taking into account FW&T, and they are clearly using betterment.

Thanks for replying! The exact figure being £2796.50, and yes, absolutely ridiculous.

That's what we're hoping too. We told her that when we were there, but her and her husband seem to think they're a law unto themselves.

She's just got a bit of a nasty side, so we're a bit scared she'd cause damage to the place to then take photos to then submit as evidence. There's nowt funny as folk after all!

My girlfriend is currently digging out some photos that we took when we were living there, that show we kept it tidy and clean etc. They should help a bit surely? I think we only have the one of us larking around while we were doing the last cleaning/tidying before we moved out, but anything is better than nothing.

The oven needs a mr muscle and it'll be as good as new. I spent an hour or so cleaning the ceramic top, and it was pristine. The inside of the oven was purely an oversight on our part and not at all intentional.

Carpet/kitchen floor coverings certainly do not need replacing. Keys will be returned tomorrow. Inside of cooker needs cleaning, max £40 to have someone in, probably a lot less. Any redecoration required is due to plaster falling off wall in one place due to damp problem (200-300 year old manor building, outside in general state of disrepair). Deep clean - well we had to clean it when we moved in due to everything being covered in thick black dust, we also cleaned it before we moved out obviously. Bottle shelves never present - how on earth would anyone lose them anyway?

Edited by unhappy ex tennant

Do me a favour....can you just clarify:

- Movein date.

- Whether you signed a check in inventory.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Did you sign it?

OK.

without conditions listed, she has no way of proving baseline condition of the property to compare against.

Defence should be relatively straightforward on the following fronts:

- The claimant denies all claims of damages made within the counterclaim.

- The defendant has been unable to provide proof of any damages during the claimant's tenure, due to the lack of detailed (i.e. photographic evidence and/or detailed description) and agreed baseline condition of the property upon the commencement of the tenancy. Nor has the defendant provided any invoices for the claimed work (I assume she hasnt?).

- Moreover, the defendant is attempting to instigate betterment of the property at the claimants expense, due to not replacing and/or claiming "like for like" for the alleged damages. The defendant is also ignoring fair wear and tear when considering the alleged damages.

This isnt true legalese, but will go something along those lines.

She is taking the michael.

Thank you very much MrShed. That is very reassuring. We're going to have a good session tonight consolidating everything we have read on the forums/net in general.

Would you also agree with this little gem found elsewhere?:

Link to a previous thread.

Hopefully, if you get the claim in quick, she will then counterclaim with the deductions, and as I understand, there is no entitlement to counterclaim against damages in a TDS dispute as each of the schemes provide arbitration services. And given there is no excuse for not using the scheme, the arbitration services are the only option for a landlord to look at deducitons. And then her counterclaim will get struck off straight away.

Personally - I disagree.

If there are PROVABLE damages, then the lack of using TDS does NOT remove liability for these by the tenant.

There is no provision in law to have such damages claims thrown out on the back of lack of protection.

However, in your specific instance, it should make little difference, and certainly cant harm to state that the landlord is attempting to circumvent proper legal process by using the courts in a vexatious manner, rather than using an arbitration scheme.

Other info, not sure if relevant:

After living there a few days we used the shared washing machine. Upon touching the casing of the washing machine, I got an electric shock. (Probably foolishly) I touched it again to confirm it was the washing machine and not static built up, sure enough another electric shock. Grabbed a basic live tester screwdriver and put it to the casing of the washing machine, indicated live. Informed landlady immediately, washing machine and associated wiring inspected 2-3 days later and electrician bonded some wires that were not previously connected to earth and noted that the wiring in the building was a complete rats nest.

We were never given an EPC while we were there and presume she didn't have an efficiency survey done.

Are either of these points worth raising? I've since contacted local authorities but was passed from pillar to post regarding who would enforce anything and it seemed that not a lot is done once you have moved from the property.

We also felt our privacy was compromised (confirmed by her telling us about how we had stored things in the bedroom) and we were always unhappy that our post was always delivered to her house, then distributed by her when she felt like it the following evening (if that evening). We also had parcels go missing at xmas containing presents, that turned up 4 days later in the back of her sons car (who lives elsewhere anyway). We don't want to sound petty/pathetic, but there were various things that stopped us enjoying the property as much as we should've done.

Hopefully, if you get the claim in quick, she will then counterclaim with the deductions, and as I understand, there is no entitlement to counterclaim against damages in a TDS dispute as each of the schemes provide arbitration services. And given there is no excuse for not using the scheme, the arbitration services are the only option for a landlord to look at deducitons. And then her counterclaim will get struck off straight away.

I'm trying to use this defence to the counterclaim to my TDS non-compliance claim also.

From Stankova v Glassonbury

In awarding the monies, the judge accepted the tenant’s argument that the award was a strict liability penalty, and that consequently there was no provision for counterclaim for outstanding rent arrears or other arguments about the return or retention of the deposit on the basis that a statutory scheme included arbitration for disputed about returning or retaining deposit monies.

Why should tenants have to face legal costs, and court and its associated stresses, and an opposition solicitor, for a counterclaim that should have been dealt with by a free arbitartion service, and the only reason why the tenant cant use the free arbitration service is because the landlord has failed to meet his statutory requirements?

Other info, not sure if relevant:

After living there a few days we used the shared washing machine. Upon touching the casing of the washing machine, I got an electric shock. (Probably foolishly) I touched it again to confirm it was the washing machine and not static built up, sure enough another electric shock. Grabbed a basic live tester screwdriver and put it to the casing of the washing machine, indicated live. Informed landlady immediately, washing machine and associated wiring inspected 2-3 days later and electrician bonded some wires that were not previously connected to earth and noted that the wiring in the building was a complete rats nest.

We were never given an EPC while we were there and presume she didn't have an efficiency survey done.

Are either of these points worth raising? I've since contacted local authorities but was passed from pillar to post regarding who would enforce anything and it seemed that not a lot is done once you have moved from the property.

We also felt our privacy was compromised (confirmed by her telling us about how we had stored things in the bedroom) and we were always unhappy that our post was always delivered to her house, then distributed by her when she felt like it the following evening (if that evening). We also had parcels go missing at xmas containing presents, that turned up 4 days later in the back of her sons car (who lives elsewhere anyway). We don't want to sound petty/pathetic, but there were various things that stopped us enjoying the property as much as we should've done.

Since you did not deal with these issues during your tenancy, they are irrelevant to your problems now. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear. You need to keep any claim, or counterclaim, succinct and clear of any waffle - just go for the relevant details regarding your deposit.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Since you did not deal with these issues during your tenancy, they are irrelevant to your problems now. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear. You need to keep any claim, or counterclaim, succinct and clear of any waffle - just go for the relevant details regarding your deposit.

Fully agree by the way :)

Why would your post be delivered to a completely different house? Was your property part of the same building as the ll's home? Did you share an entrance for example?

No not at all. Flat is in an old manor house, split into 10 flats. Landlady lives in Cottage next door to manor house, but a completely independent property to the manor building.

We spoke to the post office and asked why they always delivered our post there and were told that the post was delivered there due to the landlady specifying that they deliver to her to improve security, despite the fact she then went round every (well not every tbf) evening and put each persons post outside their flat door on the floor. Very secure huh? (Manor does have it's own letter box etc. Post office gave us the option of retaining our post there and us picking it up, which isn't exactly convenient.)

We did notice that while living there, we didn't recieve a single piece of 'spam mail', though this extended to freebies that we signed up for, such as packets of seeds, etc. Obviously, we wouldn't have a leg to stand on regarding proving anything like that though.

The Post Office have no right to do that!!!! If thats true, thats a disgrace.

• 4 months later...

Ok, to save cluttering the other threads:

Basically our court hearing is this Friday (26th Feb, 2010).

We have submitted our documents we wish to refer to, but the defendant has not submitted anything at all (so far).

We had a stroke of luck before submitting the documents, which was finding the new advert for the flat, with new photographs taken presumably by lettings agency landlord has chosen to use.

These photographs show the same carpet fitted and as immaculate as the day we moved out (very clean, no marks etc.!), Shows the same cooker fitted (which was deemed 'dirty beyond cleaning'), and finally shows the lino has not been replaced. It could of course be argued that they have a regular supplier who supplied same lino, carpet, cooker, etc. But various dark/light shades in the 'fake wood grain lino' correspond with our photos of while we were living there. You can literally see parts line up with the units that show beyond doubt, it has not been changed (or has anything wrong with it). Both photographs submitted to court along with all other photos and letting agents advert.

We were kind of hoping that they would've submitted receipts for lino replacement etc. (seeing as these would have to have been falsified), but nothing as yet and court have also confirmed nothing has been filed.

So documents looked like this:

Tenancy agreement,

Deposit,

Confirmation from each TDS that deposit is not protected,

LL's registered address.

Photographs during tenancy,

Photographs on final day of tenancy (Sparser than we would now like, as we only took a few for 'memories', we didn't for one second think they would try anything!),

Evidence of keys being returned,

Current Letting agent advert for flat with blown up photos.

With all of these bits and pieces, have I overlooked anything? Anything they could pull out of the bag and completely blow us out of the water with?

And to quote MrShed from another thread:

"It would be pretty simple - you just show in court tenancy termination date, as compared to the date of protection."

Where does it say that a deposit cannot be registered after the end of the tenancy and would this not be subject to the recent Hiigh Court decision?

We really really appreciate everyone's help BTW!

It's this that worries us somewhat (taken from another forum):

If a tenant is concerned that his deposit is not protected by a scheme and/or he has not been provided with the prescribed information and/or the scheme administrator does not confirm that their deposit is protected then he can commence proceedings against the landlord under HA 2004, s 214. Although it appears that if, by the time of the hearing, the landlord has complied with the requirement there is no sanction. If the court finds that the landlord is in breach then it must order up to three times the amount of the deposit to be paid to the tenant within 14 days (s 214(4)) as well as ordering the deposit to be paid either into the custodial scheme or to the tenant (s 213(3)).