Sickness after maternity leave and holiday pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, if anyone can help me on this one I would really appreciate it.

I am due to go back to work at the end of this month after being on maternity leave.

I have recently had quite a bad car accident which has left me temporarily in a wheelchair and know I wont be well enough to go back on my start date (I am being cared for by my husband as I am unable to do simple tasks atm)

I obviously hadn't planned to be off sick from work so financially im trying to keep our heads above the water!

My manager has told me that the best way for me financially to do this would be for me to put my accrued holidays in straight away (I have 6 weeks to take in total) and I would get full pay, then hopefully ill be well enough to come back to work after this.

I asked about sick pay, but he seemed to think this was a bad idea as he wasn't sure if I would get company sick pay and may just be ssp.

I asked him to check and he said he will, but didn't seem too pleased that i'd asked.

If anyone could give me any advice on this I would really really appreciate it, as I'm starting to panic now as the date comes closer and I would hate to know I've used all of my holidays while I'm housebound, I usually like to spend this time with my children!

Thank you

vicci

Hi Vicci,

How long did you take off for your mat leave?

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I apologise for my late reply I have had problems with my internet access :(

I took a year off on maternity, so haven't received any wages for the last 3 months.

Thanks again.

Vicky

Hi Vicci,

I can't comment on your rights to company sick pay - this is purely contractual you need to go and read the rules applicable to the company scheme.

Unfortunately and I have rang the HMRC for guidance on this previously, no earnings for the last 3 months would mean that you wouldn't have earned above the lower earnings limit to qualify for SSP.

I don't personally see it as so black and white but that is what I have been told previously by the HMRC helpline.

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]